Rumor Disneyland Tomorrowland Future - What to do?

We all know that Disney will have to do something with Tomorrowland soon, what do you want to see?

• Demo it and start over with a new theme.

• Demo it and start over with same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain and keep same theme.

• Demo everything but Space Mountain but retheme the land.

• Remove only certain attractions but keep the same theme.

• Remove only certain attractions but retheme the land.

• Go retro and bring back '67 Tomorrowland.

• Don't touch Tomorrowland at all, leave everything the way it is, its my favorite land!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Animaniac93-98

What I want:

- Adventure Thru Inner Space / Body Wars hybrid to replace Star Tours
- Dreamfinder and Figment 4D show in Magic Eye Theatre
- Submarines retheme to be more like DisneySea 20,000 Leagues ride
- Autopia replaced with Fantasyland expansion
- New track for Space Mountain
- New version of Carousel of Progress, with 2nd floor post-show
- Star Jets returned to its rightful place
- Rocket Rods built properly, with World of Motion Transcenter style pre-show & queue

What I'll get:

- Nothing

mickEblu

Sharing from our TL thread:

Buzz just being rethemed is very telling (please no Antman). If true it probably means that Star Tours also just gets a retheme and a new ride goes where Autopia/ Subs are and demo’d Launch bay space.

My preference is if their trying to go NEW and not retro TL (which isnt happening) than Demo everything except for Space Mountain, the lagoon and most of the Autopia trees. This piecemeal approach doesn’t sound very inspiring as rides aren’t necessarily the problem with TL, it’s the aesthetic. I’m not sure to what degree that can be fixed if they re keeping most of the current buildings.

rebelk73

They really need to start by getting rid of the peoplemover track. I know I know, I loved it too, but the tracks can't be fixed. It is more depressing to just see it there. I am down with the idea of building the 20 thousand leagues ride where the submarines are. That would be amazing! A hybrid of what the past thought the future would be ala jules verne and the Jetsons, with some real futuristic stuff would be amazing. I vote to take out Autopia and put in the Tron coaster. Some of those old theaters have huge capacity and could be repurposed for 7D attractions or high capacity restaurants or shows like the sci fi drive in restaurant at DW. I would love to see sunny eclipse here as well. I am all about taking some stuff out and repurposing others. I did hear a rumor that an imagineer was surveying recently from the peoplemover tracks. I am not sure which one but if it is Rohde or Baxter I am down with whatever they have in mind.

Nland316

What I find most problematic with simply a Buzz overlay instead of demo, is that current infrastructure really limits what can be done with the land layout. Especially considering Peoplemover tracks are still located within literally every Tomorrowland building. While we could potentially get a new ride in Buzz, questions of crowd flow and such are so much more limited versus starting fresh with new buildings.

Phroobar

They really need to start by getting rid of the peoplemover track. I know I know, I loved it too, but the tracks can't be fixed. It is more depressing to just see it there. I am down with the idea of building the 20 thousand leagues ride where the submarines are. That would be amazing! A hybrid of what the past thought the future would be ala jules verne and the Jetsons, with some real futuristic stuff would be amazing. I vote to take out Autopia and put in the Tron coaster. Some of those old theaters have huge capacity and could be repurposed for 7D attractions or high capacity restaurants or shows like the sci fi drive in restaurant at DW. I would love to see sunny eclipse here as well. I am all about taking some stuff out and repurposing others. I did hear a rumor that an imagineer was surveying recently from the peoplemover tracks. I am not sure which one but if it is Rohde or Baxter I am down with whatever they have in mind.
Baxter is retired. Rohde is the guy that gave us GOTG:Mission Breakout. I don't think you want him or his ear designing anything at Disneyland ever again.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Baxter is retired. Rohde is the guy that gave us GOTG:Mission Breakout. I don't think you want him or his ear designing anything at Disneyland ever again.
From recent interviews Baxter has gave it did seem like he has been consulting with WDI lately. He mentioned a meeting he had about future expansion areas in DLR. So just because he is retired from his formal WDI job doesn't mean he doesn't and can't come back in a consulting role.

As for Rohde, while he did give us GotG I don't blame that completely on him. He was given a large impossible task of turning an existing attraction into something new in a very short period of time. Also remember he gave us all of DAK. So he is still pretty well respected in the Disney fandom and in WDI.

Both of them is who I was thinking when it came to the Imagineer being referenced. And I would actually trust either of them to redo TL whether its piecemeal or a complete demo.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

one of the major problems with current Tomorrowland is it feels more like Tomorowalley. it has less walking space than adventure land does but the space works in adventureland. tomorrowland needs to shut down. keep space mountain but tear down everything else including autopia and the subs and make the land bigger and add some e ticket rides like a tron coaster for example. keep the theme but let's open it up. get rid of the pizza place, get rid of the innoventions building, get rid of the star tours building and the awful current version of star tours and the star trader. tear down the orbitor and make sure when a new rockets ride is built it is on a platform so you can see all of the park like it used to be.

SuddenStorm

From recent interviews Baxter has gave it did seem like he has been consulting with WDI lately. He mentioned a meeting he had about future expansion areas in DLR. So just because he is retired from his formal WDI job doesn't mean he doesn't and can't come back in a consulting role.

As for Rohde, while he did give us GotG I don't blame that completely on him. He was given a large impossible task of turning an existing attraction into something new in a very short period of time. Also remember he gave us all of DAK. So he is still pretty well respected in the Disney fandom and in WDI.

Both of them is who I was thinking when it came to the Imagineer being referenced. And I would actually trust either of them to redo TL whether its piecemeal or a complete demo.

I'd trust Baxter, since he's openly discussed the issues that plagued Tomorrowland '98 and regret in accepting the project. If there's someone who tries hard to succeed, it's someone trying to fix something they helped break. He's an excellent designer who really gets Disneyland and wants to see it improve.

Rohde? Wonderful designer... Animal Kingdom is an incredible park. Just doesn't seem like his design and strengths play to Disneyland's design. I wouldn't want him to be in charge of designing any major land inside Disneyland.

mickEblu

Could you be so kind and direct me to that Baxter interview? This is news to me that he is working with Disney in any sort of consulting role.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd trust Baxter, since he's openly discussed the issues that plagued Tomorrowland '98 and regret in accepting the project. If there's someone who tries hard to succeed, it's someone trying to fix something they helped break. He's an excellent designer who really gets Disneyland and wants to see it improve.
I'd trust Baxter as well. So if its him saying demo it, then lets get the bulldozers rolling now....

Rohde? Wonderful designer... Animal Kingdom is an incredible park. Just doesn't seem like his design and strengths play to Disneyland's design. I wouldn't want him to be in charge of designing any major land inside Disneyland.
We haven't seen what Rohde can do in DL when given free reign. So I give him the benefit of the doubt given how well DAK was designed.

Remember also that neither of them or anyone else for that matter at WDI would the sole designer. Disney designs by committee, so all of WDI and even the executives all have input. And while Disney has always kind of done it this way, its even worse now with too many chiefs giving input.

Anyways, as I said in my opinion I would trust either of them to lead this project.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Could you be so kind and direct me to that Baxter interview? This is news to me that he is working with Disney in any sort of consulting role.
I'll have to go back and find it, I posted it here on the forum in one of these threads back last fall I think. But he mentions having just come from a meeting where they were discussing expansion areas that not even the public know about.

SuddenStorm

The specific interview I *believe* Irish is referencing is his Podcast The Ride episode From August of 18 (I was there!).

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/starburns-audio/podcast-the-ride/e/55822624

It was a throwaway line, he mentioned that he had recently attended a meeting where new expansion areas for Disneyland were discussed.

Baxter mentions consulting with WDI in his Season Pass Podcast interviews... but those were all recorded between 2013-2017. If you haven't listened to them, they're insanely good. He basically says that yes, he's retired but he comes in one or two days a week and helps out where he can.

My 2 cents? It's criminal that he's alive and seems to be willing- but isn't running Disneyland creatively. I know he had some control in the 2000's and early 2010's, but he really should've been kept around. His generation won't be around forever, and they can do a lot of good for the park.

Edit: Looks like Irish linked it while I was typing this. LOL

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh ok thanks. Was hoping for some juicy tidbits 😞
Well I take two things away from the almost throwaway comment:

1. Disneyland still has available space to expand beyond what is known to the public.
2. Baxter is consulting with Disney in some fashion, enough so to be shown presentations on the future projects.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
The specific interview I *believe* Irish is referencing is his Podcast The Ride episode From August of 18 (I was there!).

It was a throwaway line, he mentioned that he had recently attended a meeting where new expansion areas for Disneyland were discussed.

Baxter mentions consulting with WDI in his Season Pass Podcast interviews... but those were all recorded between 2013-2017. If you haven't listened to them, they're insanely good. He basically says that yes, he's retired but he comes in one or two days a week and helps out where he can.

My 2 cents? It's criminal that he's alive and seems to be willing- but isn't running Disneyland creatively. I know he had some control in the 2000's and early 2010's, but he really should've been kept around. His generation won't be around forever, and they can do a lot of good for the park.

While Disneyland is his passion, I don't know if he wants to run it. If I was him I'd rather run all of P&R instead of a single park so you have more control. But I don't just see either him nor Disney wanting to put him in that position at this point. Nor do I see Disney wanting to give him free reign over the parks, which he would undoubtedly want. So, its just nice to know he is still involved in some fashion with WDI and the parks.

mickEblu

Oh yes I’ve heard those and they re very good including the one they made you pay for.

I agree that he should still be running things. Do we take new expansion areas to be outside of the current boundaries of the park? Such as MAMRR? I wouldn’t be surprised if Baxter had a hand in that.

mickEblu

Well I take two things away from the almost throwaway comment:

1. Disneyland still has available space to expand beyond what is known to the public.
2. Baxter is consulting with Disney in some fashion, enough so to be shown presentations on the future projects.

Beyond what is known to the public? Like more backstage areas? Pretty soon all DL backstage will be off property. He may have been talking about projects like MAMMR. That came out of left field if you think about it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Do we take new expansion areas to be outside of the current boundaries of the park? Such as MAMRR?
Yes, this is what I believe he was alluding to. All these pockets of land outside the existing berm that can be used to expand the boundaries and add new attractions. Plus not to mention all the unused and underutilized areas within the existing berm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom