Tomorrowland Chamber of Commerce sign removed as visual refresh continues

Horizons1

If I had to guess, just going from my own perspective but I think part of it is that it's the aesthetics. Mid-to-late 90s aesthetics, the stuff of my childhood (I was 9 when '94 Tomorrowland opened), simply doesn't age as well due to the bright, loud neon colors, large signage, sort of postmodern architecture, basically a very overt style that winds up becoming identifiable by decade fairly quickly, the way that some aspects of 70s aesthetics did as well (e.g. wood paneling and constant orange overtones).

Still, from a creative point of view I do think '94 Tomorrowland was on the right track, going for a fictional future that wouldn't require enormous changes and theming the area to a Buck Rogers-esque space port. It's really too bad it never got much TLC once it was installed, so once Alien Encounter and Timekeeper were done they basically decided to just toss the theming away. But yeah, from a purely aesthetic point of view I have nothing against going back to more of a white and blue color palette and sleeker, slightly more minimalist design.

Hmm. I personally don't see that when I look at the land. To me it still looks sci-fi. The eyesores in the land that cause a disruption in the astethics are the ugly stage by COP, the cartoonification of almost everything, and odd color choices such as the people mover platform. I feel if they had stuck with their original vision the land would still work well today. But only Disney can come up with an awesome idea, execute it very well, and then screw it all up.

Bairstow

Once Alien Encounter and Time Keeper were removed, the whole area designed as a commercial center of tomorrow showcasing new technology (time travel, space portal travel, etc.) was gone so this remant signage, etc. looked out of place with Stich, Buzz and Laugh Floor next to it.

So now we have, what, a jail and a comedy club?
This really isn't the best part of town.

Jon81uk

Here are the two signs referenced in the thread.
Magic%20Kingdom%20Tomorrowland%203.jpg

View attachment 155897
That sign does look a cluttered mess though. Minimalist is better.

Calm Down Rover

Once Alien Encounter and Time Keeper were removed, the whole area designed as a commercial center of tomorrow showcasing new technology (time travel, space portal travel, etc.) was gone so this remant signage, etc. looked out of place with Stich, Buzz and Laugh Floor next to it.

Yeah, though I personally really enjoyed the "Interplanetary Convention" theme, now that the "convention hall" shows are both gone there just isn't a point anymore. I hope that the purple rocks mean we'll be getting a more alien-like setting.

elchippo

A sleek white and chrome minimalist design would look great, just like Apple products.

And I just watched the TRON coaster video....WOW. I've never had such ride envy! Is there ANY chance of that coming to WDW?

lazyboy97o

A sleek white and chrome minimalist design would look great, just like Apple products.

And I just watched the TRON coaster video....WOW. I've never had such ride envy! Is there ANY chance of that coming to WDW?
There's nothing to envy about Tomorrowland at Shanghai Disneyland.

Yes, there is space for TRON Lightcycle Power Run. The original plan was for Magic Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland to co-finance the attraction like was done with Seven Dearfs Mine Train. It would have been placed between Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and the Carousel of Progress.

Bairstow

I'm actually not sure a minimalist approach is the right way to go with Florida's Tomorrowland. For one, being in Disney World, it's always going to have to distinguish itself from EPCOT's Future World, which, for the foreseeable future, is also going to have to take a somewhat uncluttered approach to its design. For another, the most successful, if not the most interesting approach on the Tomorrowland concept was the mid-90s Florida one, which was less "Logan's Run" and more "The Fifth Element." It's probably more accurate, too; despite what the Apple Store tries to tell you, the future is going to be crazy and cluttered.

lazyboy97o

I'm actually not sure a minimalist approach is the right way to go with Florida's Tomorrowland. For one, being in Disney World, it's always going to have to distinguish itself from EPCOT's Future World, which, for the foreseeable future, is also going to have to take a somewhat uncluttered approach to its design. For another, the most successful, if not the most interesting approach on the Tomorrowland concept was the mid-90s Florida one, which was less "Logan's Run" and more "The Fifth Element." It's probably more accurate, too; despite what the Apple Store tries to tell you, the future is going to be crazy and cluttered.
It is interesting that Disney took such a Modernist stance of futurism (there being a singular architecture) when Disneyland is so important to the reaction against Modernism.

yellowrocket

There's nothing to envy about Tomorrowland at Shanghai Disneyland.

Yes, there is space for TRON Lightcycle Power Run. The original plan was for Magic Kingdom and Shanghai Disneyland to co-finance the attraction like was done with Seven Dearfs Mine Train. It would have been placed between Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and the Carousel of Progress.

How would the outdoor portion of TRON Lightcycle Power Run work?

Bairstow

it would just be any unthemed rollewr coaster in any amusement park USA...except it would probably have a themed station and queue and that is where the immersive experience would end... Visually it would look like 6 Flags came to the Magic Kingdom'
Sounds good to me.
I love the coasters at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom