Tom Sawyers Island

barnum42

Depends what you rate as worthwile "doing". If you are only in it for the rides, then don't bother. If you enjoy atmosphere and theming take the raft across and explore the nooks and crannies.

disneyfamily

There are some cool things to see there. The rope and barrel bridges, the trails and caves Its a nice diversion and you do get the feeling you are pretty far away from the rest of the park because the noise is filtered nicely by the trees. Its usually pretty desolate over there too, mainly because people dont think there is anything to do over there.

surfsupdon

I think that it is totally neat to explore. There are so many caverns and crazy caves, and windy, twisty paths and cool bridges. I always find something new each trip.

And, if you are familiar with the Tom Sawyer/ Huck Finn novels and stories, there are many "scenes" taken from them and implemented on the island.

Grab a FP for your favorite Frontierland Mountain and then hop a raft to the island and explore. It's fun.

all41

Worth a short trip. You can get ice cream at Aunt Poly's. The fort and barrel bridges are fun. They have some underground caverns that are fun to walk thru. You can sit and play checkers in the fort. Gets you away from the "maddening" crowd when the park is jammed packed.

With all that said, I go over cause my kids like it. Go to see it once and then decide for yourself if you want to go back.

BG Rugger

I agree with marko ( by the way, welcome to the boards :sohappy: ). Its a nice place to get pictures and I also find its a nice place to go and eat a turkey leg :slurp:

WDWRLD

TSI is a must do, for me anyway. We love to stop at pollys and get a snack and a drink, sit on the deck and have a rest while we look out over LS. Also if you get there first thing when the Island opens they tell you that huck has misplaced his paint brush and whoever brings is back to the boad dock gets a reward. Also a couple of times were there first thing in the morning on the dock by pollys there was a cm with a couple of cane fishing poles. He would put little balls of bread on the hook and let the kids fish in ROA. On top of the checkers at the fort there is also a small dock facing BTRR whick also has checkers and a great view of the riverboat which is out of the way and much more quiet than the fort. Great for a afternoon break. Plus there is the Caves, Fort wih the guns (Dont forget to see the blacksmith shop and the man sleeping) and countless photo ops. We have even seen a small alligator in the water of ROA a couple years ago.

I love Tom Sawyer Island. It can really make you feel that you're "Tom" or "Huck" exploring around . . .

2 Questions:

1. As quite, peaceful and desserted as Tom's Island is, has there been any talk of upgrading and putting in a more thrillful attraction? I certainly hope not. This island has a lot of good memories dating back to when I visited in 1975 when I was 4. A trip to the Magic Kingdom is not complete without a visit there.

2. Is there any truth to the rumor of a secret "room" under one of the tunnels? And why would a secret room be built anyway? Polly's is the only thing on the island that would need supplies and I'm sure that they have their own storage room anyway.

Thanks!
Chele

DigitalDisney

If you like exploring and discovering things, then Tom Sawyers Island is your place

Personally, I love it. The raft ride over is fun and a unique experience. I could write pages about the fun times to be had at this place.

Ultimately, it's as long or short of a visit as you make of it. You can spend an hour in the fort, or you could walk through and see it all in 5 mins. The same goes for any other part of the island.

If you're interested in photography, there are definately some cool non-conventional angles from TSI

Dakotadogy:
1 - I sure hope not as well. I believe that there were rumors at one point of turning TSI into something else or replacing a portion of it with the infamous Geyser Mountain, but I don't think that ever materialized
2 - I believe that this secret room does exist. If I'm not mistaken, it's in Injun Joe's cave where you go over the bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom