Tom Sawyer's Island

BrerVeritas

Original Poster
Hello Everybody.
I've been lurking on the boards for almost a year now, but this is my first post...I felt I need to comment on something. I've notice over the past couple of weeks that one of my favorite parts of the park is taking alot of heat.

Tom Sawyer's Island is a must for me on every trip. If WDW lets you step out of the hecic nature of reality and enter a fantasy world then TS's Island lets you step away from the hectic nature of WDW and relax in the rural south of a 150 years ago...even if just for a short while.

So in defense of an attraction that is becoming seen as "boring" I would call on anybody here to list their favorite parts of the "peaceful island"...or maybe I am alone in this.

My personal favorite part is the escape tunnel leading out of Fort Langhorn. Anybody else?...anybody?

surfsupdon

Excellent spot!

I like the back side of the island that overlooks Big Thunder, there are a ton of stairs leading in all directions, and strategically placed benches.

I also enjoy just sitting along the riverside at the boat launch.

You know, I always passed over Tom Sawyer's Island b/c I thought it dumb--boy was I wrong, I love it!!

bhg469

the boat dock towards the fort is such a good relax spot, and where i take my chick to make out. Just kiddin im not one of those public make outers.

Gentry

Tom Sawyer Island

Iam New to this sight and I must say I love it, and I feel at homw with fellow Disney Lovers.

Tom Sawyer Island is one of my favorite spots in the MK. Anyone who thinks it's boring is missing out. It brings out the Kid in you and lets you really live a fantasy. I grew up in the south and it reminds me of being a kid playing out in the creek. It's also the best place to relax in the park.

DisJosh

Originally posted by BrerVeritas
Hello Everybody.
I've been lurking on the boards for almost a year now, but this is my first post...I felt I need to comment on something. I've notice over the past couple of weeks that one of my favorite parts of the park is taking alot of heat.

Tom Sawyer's Island is a must for me on every trip. If WDW lets you step out of the hecic nature of reality and enter a fantasy world then TS's Island lets you step away from the hectic nature of WDW and relax in the rural south of a 150 years ago...even if just for a short while.

So in defense of an attraction that is becoming seen as "boring" I would call on anybody here to list their favorite parts of the "peaceful island"...or maybe I am alone in this.

My personal favorite part is the escape tunnel leading out of Fort Langhorn. Anybody else?...anybody?

At least once every trip I have to stop at Tom Sawers Island around noon and get lunch at Aunt Pollys. I love sitting right along the water there and enjoy the restful atmosphere.

The fort is cool too but the tunnels creep me out. :D

awallaceunc

I love it. The whole concept of a tucked-away, separate, explorative island is awesome. The cave is fun, rafting over there is an experience, and Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn is the most serene dining spot in all of WDW! The island offers great views, and I think the Tom Sawyer half-painted fence is really, um, I guess 'special' is the only word for it. I love the Tom & Huck stories, though. Tom & Huck is also one of my favorite Disney movies, so I like to relate it to that. They could possibly theme it a little more to that movie to respark interest.

-Aaron

cloudboy

You know, it would be really neat if they put some lighting over there and had it open during the evening. I suppose it would be a lot of work, but I think it would also be cool. I would also love to see Aunt Polly's become a more legitimate place to eat.

DigitalDisney

I must also defend Tom Sawyer Island, because it's one of my favorite things to do at the MK.

- The magnetic mystery mine is a must see. The uphill waterfall and twisted tunnels are always fun.
- Before it was removed (and when I was younger), I enjoyed playing on the teeter-totter rock and the spinning rock
- An underrated tunnel is the escape tunnel from Fort Langhorn
- There is a dock on the section of the island closest to BTMR (by a windmill, I think) that is usually very quiet, and I think it even has a checkerboard and rocking chairs too.

awallaceunc

cloudboy said:
You know, it would be really neat if they put some lighting over there and had it open during the evening. I suppose it would be a lot of work, but I think it would also be cool. I would also love to see Aunt Polly's become a more legitimate place to eat.

Well, personally, I would very much enjoy that as well. But accidents seem to be much more likely at night, even with lighting, so it's probably not worth the risk to Disney. Maybe it should be adults only at night! But then, it wouldn't attract enough people to make it worth paying the CMs.

-Aaron

StevenT

awallaceunc said:
Well, personally, I would very much enjoy that as well. But accidents seem to be much more likely at night, even with lighting, so it's probably not worth the risk to Disney. Maybe it should be adults only at night! But then, it wouldn't attract enough people to make it worth paying the CMs.

-Aaron

I don't know what they could do to make it adults only. 21 and older after dark play with the toy guns in the fort party! or not.

awallaceunc

Well, I was thinking more of a brief, relaxing getaway... a stroll through the island with a breeze and some ice cream by the water. I realize it's entirely impractical, though. lol.

-Aaron

DisJosh

cloudboy said:

I don't think it would work out well as a more legitimate place....if by legitimate you mean more restaurant style or something. It matches the island. It's quaint. It's a quiet break and snack spot. I like it that way. :D

General Grizz

I'd imagine a night prowl would be great for families. Injun Joe or Brer Fox could be around any corner. :lookaroun

Nonetheless, the area is gorgeous at night; wonderful theming. Wish I were there right now. :D

Chefjason1974

The last time i was on TSI was last year. To me the one thing missing was a Bulldozer to demolish it & start over. This place was sooooooooo outdated & desparately in need of a rehab. Im not saying that TSI should not exist but some maintainance please!!! something to get the smell of urine out of the caves & refill the cornstarch "paint" bucket so kids can paint the fence again!! that was the best part!! :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom