Tom Sawyer's Island replacement / Expansion

puntagordabob

Say anything about a River Country refurb? :lol: :p

A DVC will be going there after the GF one is done....someone posted the plans that were submitted to the water management district a while back.

I'm guessing any redo is going to park the Liberty Belle permanently which makes me really sad.

Yeah hoping not!

Also, I don't understand how a makeover of TSI would affect the Liberty Belle. I hope not. It's awesome.

Stationary Bridge or Bridges.

The way I see this is maybe they will take TSI and make that into another coaster type ride. To be honest, it would've been an ideal spot for a mine train ride and the theming would've worked. If I recall, the original plan for Big Thunder was a Wild West themed coaster ride, that would've been a slower ride than BTM.

So another runaway mine train ride sitting across the river from another runaway train ride in the same park as the 7 Dwarfs runaway mine train?

MK after the 7 Dwarfs addition needs no more coasters imho.

From what I understand, access to the island is one of the main reasons guests do not go there. Mooring the riverboat and building a bridge would solve that issue.

Disney Imagineering can do almost anything...I would think finding a way to access the island without removing the riverboat ride would be something they could work out.

HOW about them building a gondola car type thing to go from Fantasyland over to some mountain they make at the back area of the island that in turn swings it down to a spot onto the island? Make no mistake, I am not suggesting the rebuilding of the Skyway.....though it would resonate as something similar (and likely well received) but these cars would be All enclosed, have inboard AC and be automatic.

This is a link of something like it... of course the MK's system would be much shorter obvously but it could be a dual purpose attraction and transport all in one that would solve this problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojz07o2Xeww

Will they do this? Unlikely...but it does show that there are "other options" to a footbridge that would work. Also this would still in a way make TSI still seem remote and wild...

Just a thought in any case....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
HOW about them building a gondola car type thing to go from Fantasyland over to some mountain they make at the back area of the island that in turn swings it down to a spot onto the island? Make no mistake, I am not suggesting the rebuilding of the Skyway.....though it would resonate as something similar (and likely well received) but these cars would be All enclosed, have inboard AC and be automatic.

This is a link of something like it... of course the MK's system would be much shorter obvously but it could be a dual purpose attraction and transport all in one that would solve this problem.
Will they do this? Unlikely...but it does show that there are "other options" to a footbridge that would work. Also this would still in a way make TSI still seem remote and wild...

Just a thought in any case....
Anything other than some sort of walking path is not going to fix the problem. Guests do not want to load onto a boat, gonadal, etc to get to TSI. You also run into ADA issues as well. The only solution that I see that would keep the riverboat running is a tunnel under the river. However, I think the cost of this would be to great when you consider the only loss in building a bridge is an attraction that your average guest could care less about. If Disney wants more guests to go to TSI, I fear a bridge will be their way to do it.

GLaDOS

Anything other than some sort of walking path is not going to fix the problem. Guests do not want to load onto a boat, gonadal, etc to get to TSI. You also run into ADA issues as well. The only solution that I see that would keep the riverboat running is a tunnel under the river. However, I think the cost of this would be to great when you consider the only loss in building a bridge is an attraction that your average guest could care less about. If Disney wants more guests to go to TSI, I fear a bridge will be their way to do it.

Would some kind of draw bridge be that unfeasible?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Would some kind of draw bridge be that unfeasible?
Unfeasible, no. Impractical, probably. I am not sure what the cycle time for the riverboat is but even if it is as long as 20-30 minutes that is a huge amount of up and down time for a draw bridge. By the time the bridge is closed off, raised, lowered and then open again you might only have a few minutes left for people to cross.

GLaDOS

Unfeasible, no. Impractical, probably. I am not sure what the cycle time for the riverboat is but even if it is as long as 20-30 minutes that is a huge amount of up and down time for a draw bridge. By the time the bridge is closed off, raised, lowered and then open again you might only have a few minutes left for people to cross.

The cycle of the riverboat is 20 minutes. But then it's another 30 (I think) for it to dispatch. I think if they tried hard enough they could work it out, but I would think it's a lot more likely they just dock it, considering how much they're interested in putting a lot of effort into things lately...

toolsnspools

The could build a new train station across the north side of the river, and theme it into a fort with a "tree-top" walkway out to the island and into the side of the new hotel. (similar to the walkway from CR to BLT). That would alleviate any issues with the riverboat. They will need to develop the land outside the train tracks for parking for the new hotel anyway. That would provide a train ride entrance to the park, and a walkway could be built around to either BTM, HM, or both. The new train station could also serve as the ticketing station for guests entering the park.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
How about a tunnel under the water? Theming could be very cool. There are already tunnels on the island.
Could be possible but there is a big problem with tunnels in Florida. You can hit water in as little as a foot in some places in Florida. Given that much of WDW is built on reclaimed swamp land, it is safe to say that tunneling under the river might not be all that practical.

GLaDOS

Could be possible but there is a big problem with tunnels in Florida. You can hit water in as little as a foot in some places in Florida. Given that much of WDW is built on reclaimed swamp land, it is safe to say that tunneling under the river might not be all that practical.

Not only that, but you have to worry about safety issues with that. And considering it seems like they want to put a ride over there, a tunnel would have to accommodate a large number of guests.

JungleTrekFan

The could build a new train station across the north side of the river, and theme it into a fort with a "tree-top" walkway out to the island and into the side of the new hotel. (similar to the walkway from CR to BLT). That would alleviate any issues with the riverboat. They will need to develop the land outside the train tracks for parking for the new hotel anyway. That would provide a train ride entrance to the park, and a walkway could be built around to either BTM, HM, or both. The new train station could also serve as the ticketing station for guests entering the park.

As great as a that would be, there already is a wilderness themed resort not too far away, plus there is another man made waterway back there, and the resort would be too loud and dangerous to stay in since it would be very close to firework shoot off.

Lee

Adventurer
Any hints as to what is planned? Doesn't seem like the land area lends itself to any certain type of ride.

From what I hear, it sounds like...
disney%2Bamerica%2Braft.jpg

Keep in mind....I'm hearing nothing to indicate that this is an approved project. Barely more than just a concept at this point. This thread is a wee bit premature.

GLaDOS

From what I hear, it sounds like...
rapids.jpg

Keep in mind....I'm hearing nothing to indicate that this is an approved project.

I understand, but man, that would be one hell of an addition.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing maintenance done to some of the older attractions in the Kingdom rather than another addition.

toolsnspools

As great as a that would be, there already is a wilderness themed resort not too far away, plus there is another man made waterway back there, and the resort would be too loud and dangerous to stay in since it would be very close to firework shoot off.

I was thinking the same about the wilderness themed resort. I don't see many other themes that would fit the area though. I would suspect it would need to be modeled after a fort. From what I see on Google maps, they would squeeze the parking between the other waterway and the RR. I don't think the fireworks would be a concern as I think they are fired off from behind the castle and not too close to TSI.

Keep in mind, I'm only speculating on what "could" be if they planned to drop a hotel out there. I'm not by any means recommending it.

ToTBellHop

I understand, but man, that would be one hell of an addition.

With that being said, I wouldn't mind seeing maintenance done to some of the older attractions in the Kingdom rather than another addition.
i.e. "Ignore the run-down water ride on the side of Frontierland and focus on enjoying our new water ride in the middle of Frontierland!"

It would be cool have have another E-ticket in Frontierland, and Big Thunder is finally getting fixed, but please also fix up Splash.

JungleTrekFan

I was thinking the same about the wilderness themed resort. I don't see many other themes that would fit the area though. I would suspect it would need to be modeled after a fort. From what I see on Google maps, they would squeeze the parking between the other waterway and the RR. I don't think the fireworks would be a concern as I think they are fired off from behind the castle and not too close to TSI.

Keep in mind, I'm only speculating on what "could" be if they planned to drop a hotel out there. I'm not by any means recommending it.

It could fit but there is a reason there is no resort that close to the back of MK. Residents of the apartments behind backstage MK, which are farther than where this resort could go, complain all the time about hearing fireworks every night, imagine trying to sleep and being woken up by fireworks at 10pm, there would be a lot of angry resort guests. The road that is behind there is closed from the Park 2 entrance to the fire station for a good 45 min after fireworks due to smoke and debris coving the area nightly.

And Lee that would be an amazing addition to Frontierland, if it comes to be.

Lee

Adventurer
i.e. "Ignore the run-down water ride on the side of Frontierland and focus on enjoying our new water ride in the middle of Frontierland!"

It would be cool have have another E-ticket in Frontierland, and Big Thunder is finally getting fixed, but please also fix up Splash.

Agreed.
I expect Splash to be thoroughly refurbished way before this other thing makes it out of concept phase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom