tom sawyer island discussion

3halls

Original Poster
We are planning our first trip to WDW for the week of Thanksgiving (hoping that since thanksgiving is on Wednesday that the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before will not be super busy). We have read in a guidebook that Tom Sawyer Island is a good place for a family to relax mid-day. Can anyone answer my following questions?

1) Can you bring food from other counter service areas or vendors onto the Liberty Belle Riverboat and then onto Tom Sawyer Island? (Such as a Turkey Leg from a vendor in Frontierland)

2) The only restaurant I found listed as being on Tom Sawyer Island was Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn but the menu shows basically desserts and drinks. Are there vendors on the Island?

3) Finally, what did all of you who have been to the Island think of it? We are considering doing some resting there rather than returning to the hotel mid-day. Not sure I'll get my six year old to relax anywhere though.

3halls

Original Poster
duh! I made a typo in my second sentence! Thanksgiving is on Thursday not Wednesday! I knew that, but had a brain lapse while typing I guess! LOL

Here are your answers from me

1) Yes, you can bring food on to the island

2) There are NO vendors on the island

3) I think the island is very cool. there are many cool cool caves on the island and there is a fort on the island with several benches. There is a good view of BTMRR on one of the towers! There are lots of shade there!

MABY you should try the blueline, they let you stay on as long as you want! Columbia harbor house is a good counter service place with lots of indoor room!

:animwink:

meeko_33785

Tom Saywer's Island is great for a six year old, but I'm not sure if it's exactly the most relaxing place for that age group. There's a fort to explore (the best part of the island IMO, lots of wonderful Disney theming here), some caves to walk through- basically it's a place for kids to burn off some steam while the adults relax.

marypoppins68

Originally posted by 3halls
We are planning our first trip to WDW for the week of Thanksgiving (hoping that since thanksgiving is on Wednesday that the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday before will not be super busy). We have read in a guidebook that Tom Sawyer Island is a good place for a family to relax mid-day. Can anyone answer my following questions?

1) Can you bring food from other counter service areas or vendors onto the Liberty Belle Riverboat and then onto Tom Sawyer Island? (Such as a Turkey Leg from a vendor in Frontierland)

2) The only restaurant I found listed as being on Tom Sawyer Island was Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn but the menu shows basically desserts and drinks. Are there vendors on the Island?

3) Finally, what did all of you who have been to the Island think of it? We are considering doing some resting there rather than returning to the hotel mid-day. Not sure I'll get my six year old to relax anywhere though.

1) The Liberty Belle Riverboat doesn't go to Tom Sawyer's Island. It only goes around the island. To get to the island you need to take one of the Tom Sawyer rafts. Depending on the time of day these rafts could be very crowded, meaning they cram as many people on as they safely can. A turkey leg or drink should be fine.

2) Aunt Polly's is only open seasonally. IT was closed when I was there on Oct. 18. No vendors on the island.

3) Tom Sawyer's island is a lot of fun. There are two caves to be explored, a barrel bridge, and a windmill to walk through. There's also the fort with an escape tunnel. Down by Aunt Polly's you can buy food and feed the ducks. It's a great place to let kids run around and have fun. The whole island is in shade from trees so it's a nice place to sit and rest for adults too.

3halls

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies, just one question though, what is the blueline and where is it?

marypoppins68

Originally posted by 3halls
Thanks everyone for all your helpful replies, just one question though, what is the blueline and where is it?

That would be the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in Tomorrowland. It used to be known as the WEDway People Mover. It goes around Tomorrowland on a track, taking you through the various rides and shops. It's a nice, relaxing ride. There's never more than a 5 minute wait for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom