Tom Sawyer Island - 2 Month Refurb

CJR

Just my opinion, but a good long refurb is needed. Hope they get a lot of work done during downtime.

yaksplat

I think it originally closed back in the early 2000s - and was "seasonal" for a while before that. It re-opened for a limited time just a few years ago in 2015 over Easter - with a very limited menu of pre-made sandwiches, bagged chips etc. - but I guess it didn't draw any crowds. They should put one of the limited cupcakes out there... people go nuts over those.
I bought my boys some slushies there 3 years ago in August. I didn't realize that it had closed.

Biff215

Just my opinion, but a good long refurb is needed. Hope they get a lot of work done during downtime.
Honest question, specifically what do you think needs a refurb? We were over there in August and other than the barrel bridge, everything seemed to be operating and looking as it should. I don’t always look close enough though, I’m just trying to keep up with my kids.

I really don’t think they’ll touch anything over there since others have said this is about the Liberty Belle. I certainly wouldn’t mind some updates or additions though.

geekza

Honest question, specifically what do you think needs a refurb? We were over there in August and other than the barrel bridge, everything seemed to be operating and looking as it should. I don’t always look close enough though, I’m just trying to keep up with my kids.

I really don’t think they’ll touch anything over there since others have said this is about the Liberty Belle. I certainly wouldn’t mind some updates or additions though.
I doubt we'll see much in the way of additions or updates. Since there is so much wood used there, it's fairly common to need to replace boards from time to time to account for rot. The last thing Disney wants is for a kid to be stomping around and fall through. Even boards that may look fine at a glance can show signs of fatigue to someone who knows what to look for. I used to work at an outdoor drama in the Outer Banks when I was in college. Our stage and permanent set was all built from wood. Every summer, we'd have to inspect each board and replace things when needed. Heat and humidity can really wreak havoc on wood after a few years.

I don't have any inside knowledge that this is what will happen, but experience tells me it's probable.

MrPromey

If they did something like the pirate map thing they have in Adventureland out there and promoted it just a little bit, they could turn that island into a people-eater and I'm sure they could do it without killing the theme since they managed to make that activity seem low-tech (unlike Wizards) without screens or cell phones or other common modern seeming interactions.

A part of me wouldn't want to see that happen because I like the feeling of seclusion in the middle of that busy park but at the same time, it feels like lost potential.

CJR

Honest question, specifically what do you think needs a refurb?

Geekza did a perfect job explaining why I feel the way I do. Florida is brutal to the area and it ages fast. That's not to say it's unsafe, it's perfectly fine, but it's for the purposes of a good show.

I'd love for them to enhance stuff, especially with the 50th coming, but with things like the theater getting cut, I don't see them tossing a lot of money here. Although, I would love it if they did.

boufa

IF this is indeed the Liberty Bell River Boat track repair, then this certainly won't save them any money. I have to imagine that damning the river and doing the repairs costs more than operating the island. IF that is what they are doing, and it goes beyond the initial plan, then Disney is spending money for the good of the attractions.

Macca250

I wish they’d close TSI and expand Frontierland. I love the river boat and the whole area looks very pretty, but there’s so much potential to open the land up, increase the footprint and create more attractions. Sorry for anyone who’s a fan of the island, I respect that, but I think there’s valuable space to be put to good use.

jt04

I'm not ruling out the possibility that something bigger is in play here. Could they have determined 50th anniversary crowds and SWL overflow makes the island and the very limited capacity rafts obsolete?

If they started now they could have something finished in 3 years.

Ismael Flores

As I have read anyway, the problem with Aunt Polly's is that there is no underground access to Tom Sawyer Island so they had to bring everything over via the rafts. It was too much trouble so they closed Aunt Polly's and will not reopen it.

Too bad. I would also love to see them reopen it.

That is too bad, i would at least wish that they added one or two soda and snack stand. They could add a themed refrigerator and just stock it with drinks and only worry about stocking pretzels in the morning. If it would make it easier maybe even just chips or other already prepackaged items but the main thing is to have liquids on the island.

Ismael Flores

I wish they’d close TSI and expand Frontierland. I love the river boat and the whole area looks very pretty, but there’s so much potential to open the land up, increase the footprint and create more attractions. Sorry for anyone who’s a fan of the island, I respect that, but I think there’s valuable space to be put to good use.

I would be ok with the island being repurposed but only if the created an access tunnel to the area so that the river boats and river continued. The problem is what would fit there and not overwhelm the area and destroy sitelines.

Maybe they could find a way of relocating the jungle gym area from DCA grizzly to the Tom Sawyer Island and retheme it DCA would be better off with a new attraction to lure guests to that park instead of adding more crowds to an already crowded side of Disneyland. How cool would it be to walk on a hanging bridge on Tom Sawyer Island.

peter11435

That is too bad, i would at least wish that they added one or two soda and snack stand. They could add a themed refrigerator and just stock it with drinks and only worry about stocking pretzels in the morning. If it would make it easier maybe even just chips or other already prepackaged items but the main thing is to have liquids on the island.
There are vending machines on the island.

solidyne

I never fully understood how acutely some felt the pain of losing Ellen's Energy Adventure / Universe of Energy, but, now, thinking about a Frontierland without TSI, I am beginning to understand. It's not about exchanging old for new; it's about losing the opportunity for imagination.

Cmdr_Crimson

If they intend on doing a refurb.....Could we at least make Aunt Polly's Dockside Inn a Bar of some kind...I mean they seem to be liking to put liquor in places at Disney...Why not the Island?

aunt_pollys_dockside_inn3.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom