1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tokyo Disneyland/Sea expands!

Discussion in 'Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai' started by SweetDuffy101, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Disneysea05

Disneysea05 Well-Known Member

I have been to Shanghai, I went the first week of December since I was told that was low season in China. Weekdays were perfect, low to decent sized crowds, weekends were crowded so we left the park and enjoyed our hotel and went to do some sightseeing. Download the app, I check the wait times every now and then out of curiosity and it is not uncommon to find triple digit waits on attractions on the weekends, especially Soaring. I'm returning again next month so I'm curious to see if it's still the same.

Tokyo Disneyland has always been known for crowds, but I have never personally witnessed the overpacked conditions I see on the internet. I've only been to Tokyo Disney Resort a couple more times than you, including Christmas and Halloween seasons and I did not find the crowd levels to be extraordinary with the exception of Saturdays. I've been in early January a couple of times and both parks are practically deserted (although with significantly reduced operating hours).

Hong Kong Disneyland is a very nice park and uncrowded, but small. I've only visited as a side trip after going to Tokyo, I wouldn't make a special trip just for HKDL yet.

brb1006 likes this.
  2. BrianLo

BrianLo Well-Known Member

Oh interesting, I didn't realize this was seemingly now started with Small World closed with no clear reopening date.

Have you heard if there is any plans to utilize the space? Moving Dumbo? It seems an odd move, other than the fact they clearly needed to rebuild the whole thing from ground up.

3. David2319

David2319 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any photos?

4. BrianLo

Themeparx.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. David2319

David2319 Well-Known Member

Thanks a million! That's Soarin' I suppose?

6. BrianLo

Yup! Nothing to show thus far for Small World, but I'm sure it'll start to appear.

David2319 likes this.
  7. SweetDuffy101

SweetDuffy101 Active Member Original Poster

Here are one of the videos that has a almost daily update on youtube and subscribe to this page KK Channel for more Tokyo Disney Construction Updates.

8. malice

malice Active Member

Top pic is the Beauty and the beast area, middle pic is Soarin and the bottom is Nemo

David2319 likes this.
  9. DLR92

DLR92 Member

Tokyo always excels. But I am very sad there will be no Alice area. :(

10. SweetDuffy101

Here is a new video released today by TDR. a 3D image version. of new Areas opening in 2020.

RSG1025, Kman101, BrianLo and 3 others like this.
  11. TMH

TMH Well-Known Member

Love how they included the carriage the Beast used to ship Maurice out of the castle in the transition area between the village and castle! This is a Beauty and the Beast land done on the scale of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

brb1006 likes this.
  12. disneyC97

disneyC97 Well-Known Member

Wow...worth losing starjets and the raceway for sure!

brb1006 likes this.
  13. SweetDuffy101

[​IMG]
    Just Saw this in other forums. but just take this as a rumor.

Kman101 and BrianLo like this.
  14. BrianLo

I was initially completely excited, but then realized the proposal is essentially entertainment and refurbs with the only new build being Scandanvia in 2026!!!

I seriously hope that's not remotely true, it would be a huge downgrade since the meat of that was supposed to be done by like 2019 previously.

DDLand and Kman101 like this.
  15. TMH

TMH Well-Known Member

I don't think that's accurate given that I'm not familiar with a new Turtle Talk opening in a month?

I hope Pirates of the Caribbean is actually on their list, however. It makes a lot of sense for an attraction the OLC would revisit. It hardly ever has a line and takes up a ton of room. Plus, what does a random American city like New Orleans have to do with the concept of Adventureland? Hopefully a complete reimagining of that area is in the future. I'd love to see the buildings rethemed to old Spanish storefronts like Caribbean Plaza. Perhaps the outdoor stage area can be transformed into a POTC stunt show. Maybe add a new Tortuga Tavern in addition to a rethemed Blue Bayou. And most importantly, give POTC an elaborate queue that enhances the entire experience like the more recent versions of the ride. I'm normally a purist, but I also don't like clones. I would be fine if this version of POTC committed to the movies and reimagined scenes with modern day effects. Something that combines the technology of the Shanghai version with the heart of the original versions could really invigorate that section of the park.

peep likes this.
  16. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

That's the kind of list (yeah it's a lot of entertainment, but still) I wish we'd get from our parks here in the US, but I know they'd never do that anymore.

17. TMH

TMH Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So what do we think is going on behind it's a small world? Those foundations are just as big as the Small World show building, excluding the oversized loading area...

18. mickeyfan5534

mickeyfan5534 Well-Known Member

Aren't they moving it back a bit?

19. TMH

TMH Well-Known Member

I know that's been a rumor and it seems like the strongest possibility. But it hasn't been announced officially yet.

20. RSG1025

RSG1025 Active Member

As part of the SeaRider attraction opening, Turtle Talk is also getting a few new scenes to include the Finding Dory characters.

As for the rest of the list (if true), I'd be very disappointed if the new port at TDS was delayed until 2026. This should have been finished no later than 2021. 7 years between Soarin' and Frozen is much too long (upgrading Indy doesn't count as a new attraction), and a few new shows are hardly going to cut it for TDS' 20th. USJ has already inched past TDS in attendance and will continue to do so if OLC don't fast track major additions.