Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

SweetDuffy101

It was noticed on Twitter mostly. Not sure if anyone posted about it here. Shadowland has been a big flop with TDR guests, so a replacement starring the fab five became inevitable. Kind of sad. Shadowland isn't good (I wish it was!) but Mystic Rhythms WAS.
The truth is that the show was so bad after a few months of performance they had to re-write the story 3 times. and it was boring and lacked storytelling, especially for foreign guests who doesnt understand japanese, and yes Ive seen it in person.

Disneylover152

Fantasmic’s issue is that they adapted a stage show that because of its nature CAN’T be well adapted into a 360 degree format and because of the change in format, the show is clunky and you don’t get that full epic view you get at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, instead you get a substandard view into Mickey’s dream.

My friends who went to Tokyo said this too. They told me that its their least favorite Fantasmic and they said they were underwhelmed. But they also said everything else at Tokyo Disney was so amazing that it didn't matter Fantasmic wasn't good.

But I'm not relying on them because they also said that California's Indiana Jones Adventure is better than Tokyo's so...

ThemeParkTraveller

Not to mention, TDS deserves an original nighttime spectacular that fits the park.
Something along the lines of BraviSEAmo

Fantasmic feels completely out of place there

I really miss BraviSEAmo. It was abstract but really beautiful to watch, and the score was one of the best out of any Disney show. Too bad it didn't have good guest reviews.

Timothy_Q

I really miss BraviSEAmo. It was abstract but really beautiful to watch, and the score was one of the best out of any Disney show. Too bad it didn't have good guest reviews.
Ironically, I don't think the TDS aesthetic and vibe is a good fit for the Japanese audience.

I could be wrong though

ThemeParkTraveller

Ironically, I don't think the TDS aesthetic and vibe is a good fit for the Japanese audience.

I could be wrong though

It will never be as popular as TDL, but that it stabilized around 12 million guests in its opening years seems to indicate that guests enjoyed its more elaborate and realistic designs compared to TDL. However, I was reading remarks from OLC's president who admitted it may have been a mistake to make TDS targeted at adults. They are now trying to course correct by adding IPs and attractions that will appeal to all ages (especially seniors and young children). In particular, they mentioned they would probably not add any additional rides with height requirements to either park in the future.

Disneylover152

I have always felt that TDS has the same issues DCA has. A lot of E-ticket rides and a lot of A-ticket/Children rides and few rides in the middle for all families to enjoy. Tokyo Disney Sea has more than DCA but they both are lacking enough rides in the middle.

GiveMeTheMusic

I have always felt that TDS has the same issues DCA has. A lot of E-ticket rides and a lot of A-ticket/Children rides and few rides in the middle for all families to enjoy. Tokyo Disney Sea has more than DCA but they both are lacking enough rides in the middle.

TDS does not share any of DCA's issues. There's plenty for kids there and the new rides will all be family friendly as well.

Disneylover152

TDS does not share any of DCA's issues. There's plenty for kids there and the new rides will all be family friendly as well.

Tokyo Disney Sea has 13 family friendly rides (rides with no height requirement).
- Venetian Gondolas
- Transit Steamerline
- Electric Railway
- Toy Story Mania
- Big City Vehicles
- Aquatopia
- Caravan Carousel
- Flying Carpets
- Sinbad
- Jumpin Jellyfish
- Scuttles Scooters
- Blowfish Balloon Race
- The Whirlpool

California Adventure has 11 family friendly rides (rides with no height requirement).
- Red Car Trolley
- Monster's Inc.
- Francis Ladybug Boogie
- Flik's Flyers / Emotional Whirlwind
- Drive 'Em Buggies
- Chew Chew Train
- Jessie's Critter Carousel
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Pixar Pal Around
- Golden Zephyr
- The Little mermaid~ Ariel's Under Sea Adventure

They both are struggling with children's rides. Especially when you take out the rides that are off-the-shelf and not fun for adults such as almost all Bugs Land/Mermaid Lagoon Rides. Both parks are more adult parks with children rides rather than family parks.

ThemeParkTraveller

Tokyo Disney Sea has 13 family friendly rides (rides with no height requirement).
- Venetian Gondolas
- Transit Steamerline
- Electric Railway
- Toy Story Mania
- Big City Vehicles
- Aquatopia
- Caravan Carousel
- Flying Carpets
- Sinbad
- Jumpin Jellyfish
- Scuttles Scooters
- Blowfish Balloon Race
- The Whirlpool

California Adventure has 11 family friendly rides (rides with no height requirement).
- Red Car Trolley
- Monster's Inc.
- Francis Ladybug Boogie
- Drive 'Em Buggies
- Chew Chew Train
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Pixar Pal Around
- Golden Zephyr

They both are struggling with children's rides. Especially when you take out the rides that are off-the-shelf and not fun for adults such as almost all Bugs Land/Mermaid Lagoon Rides. Both parks are more adult parks with children rides rather than family parks.

The gap is technically even bigger now with all of a bug's land being removed and will only continue to grow. Looking at the next 4-5 years, DCA is likely to be adding more thrill rides (Spider-Man and Avengers) whereas TDS will be getting multiple rides suitable for all ages. It looks like Soarin' is the only future addition at TDS that will have a height requirement.

GiveMeTheMusic

- Venetian Gondolas
- Transit Steamerline
- Electric Railway
- Toy Story Mania
- Big City Vehicles
- Aquatopia
- Caravan Carousel
- Flying Carpets
- Sinbad
- Jumpin Jellyfish
- Scuttles Scooters
- Blowfish Balloon Race
- The Whirlpool

- Red Car Trolley
- Monster's Inc.
- Francis Ladybug Boogie
- Drive 'Em Buggies
- Chew Chew Train
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Pixar Pal Around
- Golden Zephyr

Have you been to TDS? It's not quite that simple. And DCA is losing bug's land, so by your metric it will look even worse shortly. You also forgot 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Parks aren't just collections of rides. TDS has something DCA has always lacked - wonder. The lands are layered, with alleyways and places to explore and poke around. Fortress Explorations alone, which is jaw dropping, makes TDS a better park for children than DCA. The playground grotto in Mermaid Lagoon is child heaven (heaven for anyone who likes Mermaid, actually). Then there's the lavish and plentiful entertainment - harbor shows, Big Band Beat, King Triton's Concert, Magic Lamp Theater, Hello New York, Fantasmic, characters everywhere - TDS is a far better family park than DCA has ever been.

Timothy_Q

Totally agreed.

OLC seems to be aware of that too, as they're adding 3 new family-friendly dark rides with Fantasy Springs

Disneylover152

Have you been to TDS? It's not quite that simple. And DCA is losing bug's land, so by your metric it will look even worse shortly. You also forgot 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

Parks aren't just collections of rides. TDS has something DCA has always lacked - wonder. The lands are layered, with alleyways and places to explore and poke around. Fortress Explorations alone, which is jaw dropping, makes TDS a better park for children than DCA. The playground grotto in Mermaid Lagoon is child heaven (heaven for anyone who likes Mermaid, actually). Then there's the lavish and plentiful entertainment - harbor shows, Big Band Beat, King Triton's Concert, Magic Lamp Theater, Hello New York, Fantasmic, characters everywhere - TDS is a far better family park than DCA has ever been.

All I said is that there are few rides in the middle for all families to enjoy. I never said anything about other stuff like shows or playgrounds.

ThemeParkTraveller

I can understand why TDS was designed as a more mature park. Looking at the recent TDR guest breakdown, over 70% of visitors are adults (18+). Young children (4-11) made up only 15% of total guests, which is probably one of the lowest percentages out of any Disney resort worldwide. The gender ratio of guests is also consistently 70% female to 30% male, and this imbalance has surely played a large role in how the resort is being run and developed.

cheezbat

- Venetian Gondolas
- Transit Steamerline
- Electric Railway
- Toy Story Mania
- Big City Vehicles
- Aquatopia
- Caravan Carousel
- Flying Carpets
- Sinbad
- Jumpin Jellyfish
- Scuttles Scooters
- Blowfish Balloon Race
- The Whirlpool

- Red Car Trolley
- Monster's Inc.
- Francis Ladybug Boogie
- Drive 'Em Buggies
- Chew Chew Train
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- Pixar Pal Around
- Golden Zephyr

At least they have RIDES.

Looking at you, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Epcot🤨

BasiltheBatLord

Back when I was in Japan I don't think I ever had anybody tell me that TDS was not their favorite park of the two. (That being said most of the people I socialized with were college age)

eddie104

Eh, I’d take DCA over DHS any day.
I'll take TDS, EPCOT and AK over DCA anyday. A theme park is not just about the number of rides but the general thematic elements present throughout the park and DCA has some nice areas but otherwise nothing special. Funny you mention DHS as both parks have similar lands with Hollywoodland and Sunset Blvd.

Last edited:

eddie104

Does anybody know the name of the new TDS hotel or where I can find more information on it ???

PS: I hate double posting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom