And another.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 254

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Note in the first picture the paved expanse in front of the Tiki Room. The Treehouse will eventually be added there.

In the second photo, note the large area next to Space Mountain-the lot where Star Tours will eventually be added.

If you note the mound between the HM and IASW, that is the area where the Fantasyland Skyway station was to be. (Almost exactly like the placement of the WDW version between HM and IASW). The publication stated that "the Skyway, which carries passengers to or from Fantasyland, required some modifications for Tokyo Disneyland. Wind velocity and frequency studies conducted during construction dictated that the transfer station in the original design from Walt Disney World be eliminated and the route shortened to one more like the Skyway in Disneyland. Also, acrylic windows were added to protect guests from rain and snow."

It's amazing how much open space there was within the park when it first opened-and alot of it looked paved. I read that with Tokyo being so crowded, they wanted plenty of room for the Japanese to spread out.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
Sorry for the bump, but I was finally able to resolve the TDL skyway questions although it took just short of 13 years. I finally found an image of a pre-opening map of TDL, and indeed, it shows the skyway with it's two stage design. As we know, it opened as a straight shot from the other end of Small World to the TL station. The map was published in Dec. 1980 and it seems that this design would not work due to winds in the bay area. I'd seen this map, somewhere, before the park opened, then never again, which led me to believe that I'd actually NOT seen it. Funny how the mind plays tricks.
image_11045.jpg
image_11046.jpg

amjt660

Premium Member
Sorry for the bump, but I was finally able to resolve the TDL skyway questions although it took just short of 13 years. I finally found an image of a pre-opening map of TDL, and indeed, it shows the skyway with it's two stage design. As we know, it opened as a straight shot from the other end of Small World to the TL station. The map was published in Dec. 1980 and it seems that this design would not work due to winds in the bay area. I'd seen this map, somewhere, before the park opened, then never again, which led me to believe that I'd actually NOT seen it. Funny how the mind plays tricks.
View attachment 259234View attachment 259235
Holy dedication Batman!!
Way to stick with it
Thanks for sharing

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom