Tokyo Disneyland maps

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
I'm looking for old Tokyo Disneyland maps or pics featuring the skyway attraction and it's route. Anyone have any info out there?

jrriddle

steve2wdw said:
I'm looking for old Tokyo Disneyland maps or pics featuring the skyway attraction and it's route. Anyone have any info out there?
I would check with Joe @ jtcent.com.
He also hangs out at Mouse Info. Lots of TDL people there.
Hope that helps you out.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Joes site is currently down... shame. I may be wrong but I had an idea TDL didn`t have a Skyway... I`d love to find the answer too.

jrriddle

Well I can't find one. Sorry.
I'm sure it's out there on some obscure Japanese site.
I'm guessing that from what I've read it followed the same sort of route from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland much the same as WDW.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
The main reason I was looking for old maps was to chart the location of the original skyway route. If I'm not mistaken, the TDL skyway originally made a turn similar to the MK skyway. I thought that the Fantasyland station was located where the Queen of Hearts Banquet is currently located. On later TDL maps, the skyway didn't make a turn and it ended where the Pooh ride is. It seems silly, but this is driving me crazy. I just wanted to see that I had not imagined an original route that went deeper into Fantasyland.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
We've got our own version of a computer virus happenin' here. I've got a pic of a map showing the no-turn version somewhere. When I return home from Christmas with the in-laws, I'll try to scan it and get it posted. In the meantime, let's see how many others get curious about this thing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TDL Skyway route

I`ve done some digging and found the TDL skyway used to run in a single line from a station next to Space Mountain upto a station next to IASW - almost following the edge of the Raceway compared to WDW. No dogleg, just one straight route, shown below from 51 (now Pooh Corner shop) and 57 Stellar Sweets (shop) - I still don`t know if these buildings are still the orginal Skyway ones (the Tomorrowland ones shape looks possible) but bear in mind Pooh was a big development then possibly the station was demoilished and the shop built from scratch.

Attachments

• TDL skyway route.jpg
    TDL skyway route.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 303

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
In my quest to find info about the skyway, I bought a copy of the April 15, 1983 opening day program from Tokyo Disneyland (found it on ebay). Page 2 and 3 is an aerial photo showing the entire park (really cool) and the skyway does not make a turn, but is a straight shot as Marni mentioned in the previous post. Obviously it was a very short ride. The picture also shows the empty lot of land where Star Tours will eventually go and a huge expanse of open pavement in Adventureland where the Swiss Family Treehouse will grow. If possible, I'll try to scan the picture. It's a great look at a Magic Kingdom that most of us will never visit.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Steve2wdw - yes please! As big a scan as you can manage :lol: - your WDWMagic photo album will take bigger pics than posting them here (if you didn`t know!)

In the meantime I`ve grabbed this from a TDL video. Note the windows. Interesting huh?

Attachments

• tdlskyway.jpg
    tdlskyway.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 175

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And finally :lol: ... a 1991 park map showing the skyway (note Am Journeys, EO and MTW too!) Steve - any luck with that aerial scan yet? :wave:

Attachments

• Disneyland%20Tokyo%201991 tland cropped.jpg
    Disneyland%20Tokyo%201991 tland cropped.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 219

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Original Poster
I'll have the scan by the end of this week. I'm preparing to head to Orlando for a golf industry show and conference and haven't been able to start a photo album. I will when I return next week. Staying at Disney (All-Star Sports) so I'll be spending any extra time in the parks with digital camera in hand. Just a note on the Tokyo Disneyland opening day program and the skyway. It mentions that during construction of TDL, due to wind frequencies and velocity at the construction site, the transfer station of the skyway had to be eliminated and the attraction route shortened like that of Disneyland's skyway. It also mentioned that due to rain and snow, acrylic windows were added for the comfort of the passengers. I was amazed that the program had this much detail about the little old skyway attraction. I think the reason I thought there was a turn in the skyway route was because of original artwork that showed the turn. Somewhere in my collection I must think I have that artwork from some publication. Rest assured, I'll be looking for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom