Tokyo Disney Resort Observations (7-9,13-5)

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
Hi there,

writing to you guys straight from Tokyo after completing my visit to TDR. Now, this won't be a trip report because we've all read way too many of those, but just general observations and shooting off from the top of my head. I'd be more than happy to comment on any questions people surely have about the place.

So generally speaking:
* The resort itself is kept in amazing shape. To be fair the expectations were for nothing less considering all of Japan's amazing ability to preserve and maintain all aspects of their lives, from streets to metro stations, it's all tip-top here.

* I really can't put into words how amazing cast members here are. I will say this: Service in Japan is at Disney resort level most of the time. Now just imagine what a Disney resort is like in such a place. To say it's amazing would be doing a disservice to the service. Kudos to every cast member in TDR. They truly are the hardest group of workers I've ever encountered. Polite to a fault, gratious beyond possible description - they are the essence of "Disney magic".

Disneyland:
* OK so lets get this out of the way because I was caught off-guard at first but eventually grew to like this phenomenon: When the park opens, people run. Seriously, literally, run. It's awesome and I'm aware it's prohibited at all other resorts but it really adds a sense of fun and excitement to the day.
* Disneyland seems a bit outdated and honestly it looks kinda poor in some areas (namely Tomorrowland, Westernland). It's even worse in contrast to their detailed Toontown and Critter country and neighbour Disney Sea (more on that later).
* To say I dislike the covered Main Street (aka World Bazaar) is an understatement. It's hideous and looks like a tacky mall. Amazing what a simple change such as a roof can do to the theme.
* The amount of cast members simply greeting everyone during the first hour of operation (and doing NOTHING but that) is unheard of at any other park and truly adds a magical dimension. It really does make you feel like every single one of them is there just to make you feel right at home.
* Pooh's Hunny Hunt: Videos don't do this one justice. My jaw literally dropped when the cars split apart and started moving "randomly" through incredible show scenes.
*Splash Mountain: To all those that still find a way to justify TDO's mode of operation, I hope you all ride this one. Every effect, every AA, every scene seems as if it started operating just yesterday. This is what Disney should be and is obviously possible as shown in some resorts.
* Space Mountain: Ugh, why is it this park has Pooh, one of the most sophisticated rides I've ever ridden and still has an aging space mountain with no soundtrack and an almost shameless sponsoring by Coca Cola? I'm not against sponsors but talk about overdoing it.

Now, DisneySea:
* Look, I can try and talk about this place 'till my fingers bleed but no words do this place justice. Believe the rumors, legends, numerous descriptions, every raving trip report, every overdone compliment. This place is nothing short of perfect. Out of my 4 days, 2 and a half were spent here and I'm still not completely satisfied.
* Entertainment at it's finest - True, DisneySea needs a few more rides to it's roster - understandably so, this park is still relatively new - but the shows here more than make up for it. Mystic Rhythms, Under the Sea, Big Band Beat and Magic Lamp Theater are all amazing shows that not only fit the theme of the land, but are executed in entertaining and fresh ways. Legend of Mythica, the day "parade" is far and wide the best day time entertainment I've seen at a park, ever. Fantasmic! is technically superb but still looses slightly to it's American counterparts just because of the language barrier and the odd decision to semi-butch the original soundtrack. Hardly a complaint though, it's still wonderful.
* The theming here is a show and ride all on its own. I spent hours, quite literally, just looking at the small details, all the hidden paths and beats, gems and treasures that reward anyone that slows down enough to enjoy them. The only downside to this is that it shames Disneyland, making it look like some run-down carnival by comparission.
* Tower of Terror - Majorly different theme, but still awesome and has a chilling soundtrack to boot.
* Part of Port Discovery's loop music is RoE. Gotta say I really enjoyed it.
* My favorite themed lands would probably be Arabian Coast and American Waterfront for sheer size and detail. Really though, the rest come so close behind it's almost to hard to rank them all.
* Sinbad is a hidden gem and sadly one of Disney's and DisneySea's most underrated attractions. This, in my book, is this generations Small World-meets-PotC.
* TSMM is coming. The ride is supposedly identical but let me tell you - the exterior looks incredible and plusses the AA area.

So that's it for now off the top of my head.... Feel free to comment :)

Bairstow

I'm most interested in Journey to the Center of the Earth and their dry-for-wet 20,000 leagues.
Had you been able to see the original 20K in Florida?

dreamsweetslove

Glad to hear you had a great time! Were you here for the spring events? What did you think of the seasonal offerings?

Bairstow, what would you like to know about 20K? I rode the one in FL as a child but honestly only remember waiting in line and that I liked it ha ha. The TDS version is really nice and it does feel like you are going underwater. The sets are really detailed and there are a couple of hidden Ariels that we have found.

DisneyFan 2000

Original Poster
I'm most interested in Journey to the Center of the Earth and their dry-for-wet 20,000 leagues.
Had you been able to see the original 20K in Florida?
Unfortunately I never experienced the original 20k but the one at TDS really blew me away. Don't get me wrong - It's no E-Ticket headliner but it's richly themed and is fun all the way, with some neat surprises. To my great regret JttCotE was closed for a refurb but I will tell you this: Pictures don't do this mountain justice. It is MASSIVE. You see the pictures and you realize in your head that this is a land and all, but to really see the mountain encompass other attractions, a restaurant and different themed elements, all tied to it is something to behold.

Glad to hear you had a great time! Were you here for the spring events? What did you think of the seasonal offerings?
I'll be honest I skipped through most of them. The Disneyland parade was lots of fun and quite catchy but the overload of Duffy over at DisneySea really put me off from any entertainment offerings they had over there. I was also a bit disappointed that there was a show at AW running frequently most of the day, thus blocking some great views of ToT from the New York "park" area. I'm obviously in the minority though 'cause people were going nuts over anything and everything Duffy the bear.

briar-rose

I went to TDL ans TDS for the second time last month and like my last time in 2006 I was again absolutely amazed (though too much Duffy for me o_O)

I'ts really crazy that people start running to the Attractions as soon as the park gates open... and that although the Japanese are normaly so good mannerd!

We tried to get to TSM (without running ;)) to get a FP but no chance. They were all gone like half an hour after the opening of the park. And stand-by wait times never under 90 min :(
Everything else was great though and we had a blast! Loved the new Fantasmic, too.

wiigirl

Have any pictures?
75.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom