Toddler Advice Needed

Disvillain63

Original Poster
We're taking our grandchildren to WDW for two days. We will be staying at WL and know that one day should be MK. Should we plan both days at MK, or one day at MK and one day at AK? The children are 2.5 years old and 3.5 years old. They have been to the parks on both coasts, so it's not their first visit. The older has been so many times that when he enters are house he usually asks, "We go to Disney?"

DisneyFans4Life

It's a tough call, because outside of the safari, Triceratop Spin, and the shows, what are they going to do at AK? If you're planning based on them, I think two days at MK is the right call. If you're OK with having a little fun yourself, then go ahead and go to AK.
Don't forget that AK also has the trails to walk, a train ride to Rafiki's Planet Watch where the kids can pet goats, pigs, etc, get their picture taken with Rafiki and there's also the dinosaur playground and fossil dig.

MK for both days would be my suggestion if they had never been before, but since this isn't their first trip, maybe exploring another park isn't a bad idea.

Schneewittchen

Or I like to tell people to consider taking little kids to EPCOT.

I first took my son EPCOT when he was 15 months, he had a great time. My daughter enjoyed it as a toddler too. Askershus is an awesome character meal and a good way to avoid princess meet n greet lines. And there are a ton of kid friendly rides: Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, Living with the Land, Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Ellen's Energy Adventure, American Adventure, Gran Fiesta Tour. Frozen Ever After will be open soon and if it's just a re-theming of Maelstrom, it will be great for little kids.

lemon meringue

Considering the ages of the children, I'd do 2 days at MK. I'd divide up the lands and do Adventureland, Frontierland, and Liberty Square on Day 1, then Fantasyland and Tomorrowland on Day 2. My children were 2 and 5 as of our last trip and this is our usual method for touring Magic Kingdom. We've been going to WDW a few times a year for a week or more each trip since the oldest was 22 months. We do all of the parks on each trip but MK remains the favorite overall (for the children). Animal Kingdom is our least favorite (we enjoy it but don't linger there for more than a few hours) but this could be because we are members of a large zoo back home which we spend time at often so the AK animals, petting zoo, walking trails, and African habitat aren't as special to my kids.

lemon meringue

I first took my son EPCOT when he was 15 months, he had a great time. My daughter enjoyed it as a toddler too. Askershus is an awesome character meal and a good way to avoid princess meet n greet lines. And there are a ton of kid friendly rides: Spaceship Earth, The Seas with Nemo & Friends, Living with the Land, Journey Into Imagination with Figment, Ellen's Energy Adventure, American Adventure, Gran Fiesta Tour. Frozen Ever After will be open soon and if it's just a re-theming of Maelstrom, it will be great for little kids.
I agree completely with this reply. Epcot is great for all of the reasons mentioned. I didn't include it in my answer because the OP didn't mention it as a possibility. But yes, little ones enjoy Epcot a lot. My daughter loves doing the scavenger hunt in World Showcase. We can easily spend a full day between the two sections of Epcot.

bethymouse

With so much to see and do at the Magic Kingdom (more rides and such for toddlers) I would go to MK for 2 days! I think with all there is to see and do, if you're unable to get to the parks at opening and stay all day and night until closing, then I'd split it into 2 days. I just wouldn't want the little ones to miss out on their favorite rides or characters ( adults included). No one should go and then later say " I wish I had done that".:)

Disvillain63

Original Poster
They have been to all four parks, so exposure isn't a problem. Every trip in the past has been to all the parks. This is just for them. My daughter has been twice a year for most of her 26 years. I go multiple times a year. This is about a bit of Disney with the grands for me; niece and nephew for her.

We were leaning towards two days at MK. Zoos are plentiful and GS could ride Dinosaur for the first time, but it is closed during our brief visit.

Thanks for the replies.

sophie_the_pooh

They have been to all four parks, so exposure isn't a problem. Every trip in the past has been to all the parks. This is just for them. My daughter has been twice a year for most of her 26 years. I go multiple times a year. This is about a bit of Disney with the grands for me; niece and nephew for her.

We were leaning towards two days at MK. Zoos are plentiful and GS could ride Dinosaur for the first time, but it is closed during our brief visit.

Thanks for the replies.
Then I would suggest MK for both days, that's where you'll get the most magic with your grand kids in 2 days, in my opinion!;)

jaklgreen

Epcot gets as bad rap. My kids have always loved Epcot. They can actually ride living with the land all day. LOL There is always plenty to keep them busy and entertained. They really liked the performers that most of the countries have. Kids do not always need a ride to entertain them.

carriebeth

Children that age vary so much in their preferences that you are probably the best one to decide on this. Some children, including mine, love everything Disney has to offer....shows (even if they have seen them over and over), rides, character interactions, etc. Other children are not so keen on one or more options...some kids are scared to death of characters or boys don't care to meet princesses, some are frightened of the darkness that seems to come with pretty much every Disney ride. Some find sitting at a show torturous! Since they have been before it should be pretty easy to consider what they have liked in the past and what sort of things are their favorites.

We do multiple days at every rope drop to close each trip and can't imagine leaving any out as my toddlers to teens love it all. When i hear people only need 1/2 day at places like Hollywood or AK I just can't imagine how they can not find enough to do at these places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom