Today's news, new Muppet Show Might Return to ABC

Fox&Hound

Oh, and I love the idea of Muppets coming back in style for a variety show. I think they just have to be careful that do not not make it a focus on the guest stars. Yes, I know Muppets always had guest stars but it seems like it's become "what big name star can we get to work with the muppets" and less about exploring the personalities of characters so many of us have come to love.

Sora_Keyblade

This news makes me so happy! I hope that it's for families and not just kids; the joy of the original Muppet Show was that everyone could enjoy some part of it.

FoozieBear

I'll admit, I assumed that since the last film bombed the Muppets would be stuck doing commercials and lousy TV specials again. This is truly surprising news!

It wasn't a bomb, but just like all the other movies of 2014 (family movies especially, except Frozen and Lego), it only moderately made back it's budget. I think Disney wants to do things with the characters, but movies are too big budget right now. Best bet is for the Muppets to head to TV. This way they can roll out more content on a regular basis with a budget of half the size.

wdwstateofmind

Haha, I'm pretty sure I'm the only other one who got this reference from the Steve Martin episode.
A lot of people say they like the Muppets, but lets face it, only a handful of us really like the Muppets. I mean, I'm not obsessed, there's just some really memorable skits in it even if they are cleaned up stand-up versions and it's hard to forget something like Steve Martin and balloon animals.

FoozieBear

A lot of people say they like the Muppets, but lets face it, only a handful of us really like the Muppets. I mean, I'm not obsessed, there's just some really memorable skits in it even if they are cleaned up stand-up versions and it's hard to forget something like Steve Martin and balloon animals.

I think people love the Muppets, but they're not obsessed is the problem. I think if Muppets were on TV, people would watch, but they haven't built up a big enough new generation of fans to get a lot of people to run to their movie even if it's dumped in March. So, that's what this show is hoping to accomplish.

And yep, that Steve Martin episode in it's entirety is just awesome. It's one of my absolute favorites, which is saying a lot.

Cmdr_Crimson

What if find strange is how they seem to get more out of using the CTW owned Sesame Street characters at The Sea World/Busch Gardens parks with themed lands and a 4D Film as well....
Sesame4Dposter.jpg

Seems like CTW Knows how to promote that side of the Muppets...But Disney......They seem to hit a road block...

Matt_Black

Between this, Agent Carter, and Galavant, I am none too happy with ABC. The Family's cancellation isn't a big surprise, as that followed Once Upon a Time, and that for whatever reason appears to be a death slot. Which is weird, because OUAT is very popular.

brb1006

Between this, Agent Carter, and Galavant, I am none too happy with ABC. The Family's cancellation isn't a big surprise, as that followed Once Upon a Time, and that for whatever reason appears to be a death slot. Which is weird, because OUAT is very popular.
Wait Ounce Upon A Time got cancelled?

Matt_Black

Wait Ounce Upon A Time got cancelled?

No, no, no, no. Season 6 was confirmed some time ago. ABC's not THAT stupid. I'm just saying that whatever show FOLLOWS OUAT on Sunday night is doomed. Revenge lasted two or three seasons, but after that, it's been like a mill- the apartment show with the dude from Lost as the Devil, Blood & Oil, The Returned, The Family, probably one or two others I'm forgetting.

FoozieBear

I wonder if this is going to affect the Muppet Courtyard at Disney's Hollywood Studios...

This probably affects The Muppets in general. It's a few years until Star Wars Land comes around, so they'll have some time to get back on their feet to secure Muppet Courtyard,but it isn't promising.

Brer Panther

This probably affects The Muppets in general.
Yes, "Muppets Most Wanted" bombing at the box office seems to have made Disney weary of making any more Muppet movies. And now that the new series they made only last SIXTEEN EPISODES (at least "Muppets Tonight" got a second season), they probably aren't in the mood to do ANYTHING new Muppets-related anytime soon. Maybe a TV special every now and then, but that's probably it.

Matt_Black

Yes, "Muppets Most Wanted" bombing at the box office seems to have made Disney weary of making any more Muppet movies. And now that the new series they made only last SIXTEEN EPISODES (at least "Muppets Tonight" got a second season), they probably aren't in the mood to do ANYTHING new Muppets-related anytime soon. Maybe a TV special every now and then, but that's probably it.

You forgot to log into your Magenta Panther account.

The Tuna

I wasn't a muppets fan at all growing up but that show was awesome last year. Rolphe in the cone of shame literally had me crying with laughter. Well that news sucks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom