To WDW or not in May 2022

Wendylet

I am looking for some Disney expert opinions here. I am planning a large family vacation for my husband and I and our daughters families in May 2022. So that is 6 adults and 4 grandchildren. The grandkids have never been to WDW before so I really want the trip to be a great experience. We are planning on renting DVC points for a two week stay at AKL to immerse them in a complete experience. We only have two options for 2022 and that is either May or October. My preference is for May if that’s possible. Do you think WDW will be back to normal, in other words no restrictions? I know Disney likes to always go above and beyond in their precautions to keep their guests and CMs safe but now that we have information on the vaccine roll outs what do you think? This would be a very expensive endeavour as we are from Canada and really want a great experience with the grandkids. Thoughts and opinions?

Wendylet

Original Poster
Yes it is so difficult to predict for sure. Because you have to do the DVC rental so early, and it being non refundable, it makes the timing of things important as well. Assuming vaccinations can get out to the masses by early fall (in Canada that is the prediction) I assume Disney would want to try and open up more to international guests but they do tread very carefully so really hard to figure where they will be at in their restrictions.

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

So hard to know. We’ve got an October ‘21 trip planned with family. My parents and sisters and everyone’s family (9 adults, 6 kids- we’ve got 2 2-bedrooms booked at BWV), but we’ve all been before so it won’t really be that bad if things aren’t back to normal. We aren’t expecting normalcy in October. We also have a Disney cruise scheduled in February 2022 and we’ll bookend that with WDW stays of a couple days each. We’re really hoping that will go off ok, though it also seems iffy. It’s really hard to plan ahead.
How far out do you have to book the DVC rental?

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
They say it costs an extra premium to book 11 months out but that’s what we were planning to do. I already had this trip booked for last October but was able to cancel for full refund as my daughter found out she was expecting and due in October. I was able to secure a 2 bdrm villa and a 1 bdrm villa back then. I started out at 11 months and got the 1 bdrm then but the two bdrm took a bit longer than that. I am expecting the same this time but who knows really if those large number of points will be available again this time.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
I think if COVID is still a serious concern at that time, Disney will probably be requiring proof of vaccination to enter. That would allow them to get experiences back to normal. We are probably going to re-schedule our May 2021 vacation to May 2022 for that reason. May is an excellent time for a family WDW vacation, and Kidani/AKL is a great choice!

Upvote 0

Buck Wheelie

Odds are it will be better but nobody can guarantee it. Renting points is usually non refundable so its a gamble. You can always book through Disney where you can cancel but will cost a lot more. For what its worth we booked November of this year so we are thinking it will be better by then.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Many thanks for your responses. My father actually passed away on Dec 27 (my wedding anniversary) of Covid and due to being given improper ppe when I was able to last see him lucid on Xmas eve I ended up having to quarantine for 14 days over when he passed. I have a lot of emotion wrapped up in this possible trip so I am really hoping to be able to do this May trip as we all need a bit of sun in our lives!

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

Many thanks for your responses. My father actually passed away on Dec 27 (my wedding anniversary) of Covid and due to being given improper ppe when I was able to last see him lucid on Xmas eve I ended up having to quarantine for 14 days over when he passed. I have a lot of emotion wrapped up in this possible trip so I am really hoping to be able to do this May trip as we all need a bit of sun in our lives!
I’m so sorry for your loss. ❤️

Upvote 0

AV8trix172

I am looking for some Disney expert opinions here. I am planning a large family vacation for my husband and I and our daughters families in May 2022. So that is 6 adults and 4 grandchildren. The grandkids have never been to WDW before so I really want the trip to be a great experience. We are planning on renting DVC points for a two week stay at AKL to immerse them in a complete experience. We only have two options for 2022 and that is either May or October. My preference is for May if that’s possible. Do you think WDW will be back to normal, in other words no restrictions? I know Disney likes to always go above and beyond in their precautions to keep their guests and CMs safe but now that we have information on the vaccine roll outs what do you think? This would be a very expensive endeavour as we are from Canada and really want a great experience with the grandkids. Thoughts and opinions?
Just go. Forget about what restrictions may or may not be in place.
But here’s my 2 cents.
The 50th anniversary should be in full swing, so 2022 will be a awesome year. You said you are renting DVC points, so I assuming you aren’t a DVC Member. With that being said, AKL is a great place but for a first visit, a little off the beaten path. Think travel time to/from the parks.

You might want to look at connecting or adjoining room at one of the Moderate resorts like Caribbean Beach Resort. A couple of suites at the Art of Animation, like Cars, is another alternative. If you still want to use points, Boardwalk or Wilderness are closer to the parks’ choices.

May is hot, especially if you’re acclimating from Canada, 30-32 degrees C for the high temp.
Actually mid October is nicer. And Halloween decorations at the Magic Kingdom are stunning.

(My first visit to WDW was for my 21st birthday in 1973. I have since stayed at just about every hotel on property. When I retired, I became a part-time cast member and my family’s personal “travel agent.” )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
But here’s my 2 cents.
The 50th anniversary should be in full swing, so 2022 will be a awesome year. You said you are renting DVC points, so I assuming you aren’t a DVC Member. With that being said, AKL is a great place but for a first visit, a little off the beaten path. Think travel time to/from the parks.

You might want to look at connecting or adjoining room at one of the Moderate resorts like Caribbean Beach Resort. A couple of suites at the Art of Animation, like Cars, is another alternative. If you still want to use points, Boardwalk or Wilderness are closer to the parks’ choices.

May is hot, especially if you’re acclimating from Canada, 30-32 degrees C for the high temp.
Actually mid October is nicer. And Halloween decorations at the Magic Kingdom are stunning.

(My first visit to WDW was for my 21st birthday in 1973. I have since stayed at just about every hotel on property. When I retired, I became a part-time cast member and my family’s personal “travel agent.” )
I guess with the choice of AKL I was hoping to have that complete Disney theme on property and in the parks. I do understand that AKL is far away from the parks but I had done some reading to indicate the bus ride wasn’t really that long. Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me if that is not correct. As for the weather we were hoping if we kept it to the beginning of May that it would be bearable as the kids want to spend a bunch of time in the pool and at a water park. Of course, don’t really want to think about wearing a mask at that time, and that is a concern for us.

What is your opinion about what restrictions might be like at that time? Really the main reason I was choosing to go in May is that this trip has been postponed now for several years for a variety of reasons and I’m just anxious to go! You have a wealth of experience to share and I look forward to your input!

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
But here’s my 2 cents.

Unfortunately the adults involved in this trip are making it quite clear that they don’t want to be there wearing masks.....

Upvote 0

monorail_mom

In the Parks
Yes
I love both months but May is better...what does it for me is weather and festivals. In May the weather is drier and I love the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. In October it's hurricane season and can rain more. The Food and Wine festival seems more crowded and MK is more crowded because of Halloween. I do not think by May restrictions will be lifted unfortunately. The cruise lines aren't even set to sail until May or after. If lower covid precautions are a priority then go with October. We went this past Nov. And it was rainy off and on. Covid restrictions weren't a big deal. The absence of parades and fireworks were a big bummer though.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
I love both months but May is better...what does it for me is weather and festivals. In May the weather is drier and I love the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. In October it's hurricane season and can rain more. The Food and Wine festival seems more crowded and MK is more crowded because of Halloween. I do not think by May restrictions will be lifted unfortunately. The cruise lines aren't even set to sail until May or after. If lower covid precautions are a priority then go with October. We went this past Nov. And it was rainy off and on. Covid restrictions weren't a big deal. The absence of parades and fireworks were a big bummer though.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to clarify that I was referring to May 2022. Not sure if you were commenting on that May or the one coming in just a few months. I think cruises are starting up this summer some time but I could be out on that one as it seems to be changing frequently. So just checking that you were stating you didn’t think the restrictions would be gone 16 months from now? just checking.

Upvote 0

AV8trix172

Unfortunately the adults involved in this trip are making it quite clear that they don’t want to be there wearing
I guess with the choice of AKL I was hoping to have that complete Disney theme on property and in the parks. I do understand that AKL is far away from the parks but I had done some reading to indicate the bus ride wasn’t really that long. Perhaps you can shed some light on that for me if that is not correct. As for the weather we were hoping if we kept it to the beginning of May that it would be bearable as the kids want to spend a bunch of time in the pool and at a water park. Of course, don’t really want to think about wearing a mask at that time, and that is a concern for us.

What is your opinion about what restrictions might be like at that time? Really the main reason I was choosing to go in May is that this trip has been postponed now for several years for a variety of reasons and I’m just anxious to go! You have a wealth of experience to share and I look forward to your input!
I’m going to get some input from one of my friends who lives in northern New York State (near the Adirondacks) and is DVC member. She usually comes down 2-3 times a year. She has stayed in every DVC resort and most hotels, too. One question, how old are the grandchildren?

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
I’m going to get some input from one of my friends who lives in northern New York State (near the Adirondacks) and is DVC member. She usually comes down 2-3 times a year. She has stayed in every DVC resort and most hotels, too. One question, how old are the grandchildren?
They will be 1, 2, 5 and 7. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

I loved Disney in May. The Flower and Garden Festival is beautiful. Also I loved Kidani and didn't feel the bus ride was too long, but it might get tedious if I were there for 2 weeks.

I would say that a 2-week stay via DVC points might be difficult, only because there will be a glut of points that owners need to use and reservations may get booked up quickly. I believe October is a busy time for DVC, in part because of Food & Wine at Epcot, so I've heard it's harder to get rentals during that time as well.

Have you thought about a split stay?

Honestly, if this is a one-time trip and the most important thing is getting the full Disney experience and no masks, I would wait to book and settle for individual rooms if you have to, or even postpone another 6 months or a year. It's such an expensive endeavor that, personally, I would hate to book 11 months in advance and be on pins and needles or be disappointed by something like masks. 2 weeks for 10 people is a large financial risk.

Upvote 0

AV8trix172

I loved Disney in May. The Flower and Garden Festival is beautiful. Also I loved Kidani and didn't feel the bus ride was too long, but it might get tedious if I were there for 2 weeks.

I would say that a 2-week stay via DVC points might be difficult, only because there will be a glut of points that owners need to use and reservations may get booked up quickly. I believe October is a busy time for DVC, in part because of Food & Wine at Epcot, so I've heard it's harder to get rentals during that time as well.

Have you thought about a split stay?

Honestly, if this is a one-time trip and the most important thing is getting the full Disney experience and no masks, I would wait to book and settle for individual rooms if you have to, or even postpone another 6 months or a year. It's such an expensive endeavor that, personally, I would hate to book 11 months in advance and be on pins and needles or be disappointed by something like masks. 2 weeks for 10 people is a large financial risk.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom