To WDW or not in May 2022?

Wendylet

Original Poster
I am preparing to book an extensive WDW trip in May 2022 for my husband and I and our two daughters families. So a total of 6 adults and 4 children. This will mark the first trip for all the grandchildren and I was hoping for a return to normalcy as much as possible. I would be doing this renting DVC points at AKL to give them an exciting complete trip. Two weeks so it’s a lot of money and non refundable. This trip has been put off for several years and we are hoping to keep this date intact. For us our only options are May or October. Really hoping to keep this in May but I am wondering from all the Disney experts on this board and the current information we now have regarding vaccine roll outs, whether things would be completely back to normal at this point. I am assuming Disney would continue to go above and beyond recommendations but I’m sure they need to consider a return for international guests to a somewhat more normal experience. We are all from Canada so it’s a costly endeavour. All opinions and thoughts are most appreciated!

JIMINYCR

As so many other posts have asked similar questions, the answer continues to be... no one can tell. We all are hoping that the vaccine roll out will help protect everyone and the Covid will work its way out of our lives. But no matter what anyone might predict as a time line, its only hopeful wishing. The pandemic will continue on an unpredictable path and Disney will make changes to their parks and resorts according to how they perceive guests safety can be best handled. You have the luxury of time on your side so I'd just keep watching how events play out and hold off booking as long as I could. Then decide at that time, with how things look, if its worth it to you in value going to a Disney that might still be scaled back.

Shouldigo12

WDW might not go back to normal at the same pace the world does. They've had to axe quite a lot this past year; it's hard telling what they're planning to bring back, when they'll bring it back, and how it may be modified. I wouldn't be making any solid plans yet. Wait until closer to the end of this year and keep your ears open for any news.

fishbisquit

We are in the exact same boat as you. We had a WDW trip planned and booked last May. Then we pushed it to Oct and then had to cancel that also. We now have it booked again for this May. We are assuming we will still have to wear masks at WDW in May. Some of the canceled events like parades and fireworks do not bother us at all. The masks wearing and the constant reminder of seeing people in masks is what will bother us the most. It's almost enough for us to consider pushing it back again. However one point to consider that has us really leaning towards keeping our trip "a go" for this May is that crowds should not be an issue and hopefully lines won't be bad. If you can put up with the changes and masks, when will you ever get a chance to go to WDW with 50% less people?

Raineman

Booking for mid-2022 is definitely a safer bet than booking anything for 2021, but there is still no guarantee that everything will be the same, or even almost the same, as it was before the pandemic. The good thing is that, if I'm not mistaken, you can cancel your trip up to 30 days before and still get your deposit back, so you have alot of time to see what is happening and make your decision.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Since the room is non-refundable, and the future is a big unknown, I would recommend that you go if and only if you are willing to take that vacation with all of the restrictions and limitations that are currently in place. There is no guarantee that WDW will be back to normal at a particular point in time, and to be honest, nobody knows what Disney will consider to be normal.

Since you are not a Florida Resident, you will have to pay regular (pre-covid) price for park admission, despite the fact that the live shows are not operating, fireworks are seriously reduced, and hours are reduced. You also have an issue with some restaurants either not being open or operating on a reduced menu.

While I have visited the parks a few times, as a resident I was only paying $50/day for admission, and I stayed off site where the prices are market ones and not Disney prices.

I usually advise people to wait until things are back to normal because it is not worth it for an out of state guest under the current rules.

Your mileage may vary...

Wendylet

Original Poster
We are in the exact same boat as you. We had a WDW trip planned and booked last May. Then we pushed it to Oct and then had to cancel that also. We now have it booked again for this May. We are assuming we will still have to wear masks at WDW in May. Some of the canceled events like parades and fireworks do not bother us at all. The masks wearing and the constant reminder of seeing people in masks is what will bother us the most. It's almost enough for us to consider pushing it back again. However one point to consider that has us really leaning towards keeping our trip "a go" for this May is that crowds should not be an issue and hopefully lines won't be bad. If you can put up with the changes and masks, when will you ever get a chance to go to WDW with 50% less people?
Are you referencing May 2021? If so I’m pretty sure you will be facing some restrictions. Our plan is to go in 2022 so I was being hopeful that in another 16 months it might be restriction free!

Wendylet

Original Poster
Booking for mid-2022 is definitely a safer bet than booking anything for 2021, but there is still no guarantee that everything will be the same, or even almost the same, as it was before the pandemic. The good thing is that, if I'm not mistaken, you can cancel your trip up to 30 days before and still get your deposit back, so you have alot of time to see what is happening and make your decision.
Actually that is a concern for us as the plan was to rent DVC points which means book early (11 months out) and it’s non refundable. Really it’s the adults in the group that are saying they dont want to wear masks in the Florida heat. I wish I had more time to really see how things are progressing but I would have to be looking at booking in June of this year.

Wendylet

Original Poster
Since the room is non-refundable, and the future is a big unknown, I would recommend that you go if and only if you are willing to take that vacation with all of the restrictions and limitations that are currently in place. There is no guarantee that WDW will be back to normal at a particular point in time, and to be honest, nobody knows what Disney will consider to be normal.

Since you are not a Florida Resident, you will have to pay regular (pre-covid) price for park admission, despite the fact that the live shows are not operating, fireworks are seriously reduced, and hours are reduced. You also have an issue with some restaurants either not being open or operating on a reduced menu.

While I have visited the parks a few times, as a resident I was only paying $50/day for admission, and I stayed off site where the prices are market ones and not Disney prices.

I usually advise people to wait until things are back to normal because it is not worth it for an out of state guest under the current rules.

Your mileage may vary...
Yes it is difficult to try to get inside Disney’s head on this. I was thinking that they want to start to regain some of their international customers so thought they would ease up on restrictions to attract that business. It is still 16 months away so I guess anything is possible.

ELG13

I really think by May 2022 things will be better. It's hard to say what Disney will bring back and what they are going to leave out. We just got back from a trip and masks didn't bother us at all. I think the mask issue mostly depends on your personal feelings about masks. If you don't mind wearing them normally, then I think it's easy to wear them in the parks since it's just the norm. Of you find them ridiculous and feel like you are having your rights violated by being forced to wear them, then it may be better to wait JUST IN CASE things arent totally back to normal. I think what makes your situation difficult is the desire to limit yourself to DVC points and needing to book that early and have them be completely non-refundable. Mousesavers website has a list of all the historical disney discounts and so far, even during the pandemic, the release of discounts has lined up with previous years. That might be something to look at just to see if you may still have great options for savings that don't require a non-refundable payment, in full, almost a year out. We looked at DVC points once and even before the pandemic and living in Florida, it still made me nervous to book with them. We ended up just waiting for one of the Disney discounts to come out and it was worth it because we ended up having to cancel our trip due to medical reasons. AKL is actually the place we wanted to stay because my mom had always wanted to wake up to the animals. We plan on doing it one trip, but right now it's too difficult to feel committed to a trip that far out.

Wendylet

Original Poster
I really think by May 2022 things will be better. It's hard to say what Disney will bring back and what they are going to leave out. We just got back from a trip and masks didn't bother us at all. I think the mask issue mostly depends on your personal feelings about masks. If you don't mind wearing them normally, then I think it's easy to wear them in the parks since it's just the norm. Of you find them ridiculous and feel like you are having your rights violated by being forced to wear them, then it may be better to wait JUST IN CASE things arent totally back to normal. I think what makes your situation difficult is the desire to limit yourself to DVC points and needing to book that early and have them be completely non-refundable. Mousesavers website has a list of all the historical disney discounts and so far, even during the pandemic, the release of discounts has lined up with previous years. That might be something to look at just to see if you may still have great options for savings that don't require a non-refundable payment, in full, almost a year out. We looked at DVC points once and even before the pandemic and living in Florida, it still made me nervous to book with them. We ended up just waiting for one of the Disney discounts to come out and it was worth it because we ended up having to cancel our trip due to medical reasons. AKL is actually the place we wanted to stay because my mom had always wanted to wake up to the animals. We plan on doing it one trip, but right now it's too difficult to feel committed to a trip that far out.
Yes it’s a bit tricky for sure. Maybe I will have a look at potential discounts then. Because we are from Canada I thought a number of discounts didn’t really apply but I will look again. A possible solution for us might be to book using a promo and then if things start to look good then perhaps submit to rent DVC and give up the weeks that we get, if any, that we had booked at a discount. Thanks for the info and maybe I can try it that way.

Chef Mickey

Disney is open today...you’re talking almost another year and a half. Anything can happen. I’d tell you to go if your trip was this May. It’s still so much fun to go. I’ve been 40 days since they reopened in July. I missed the fireworks, shows, and a few other things, but the rides and most restaurants are open. The other things will be back in a few months.

To me, we are more likely to have some other thing by May 2022 than anything related to Covid.

Last edited:

ELG13

Yes it’s a bit tricky for sure. Maybe I will have a look at potential discounts then. Because we are from Canada I thought a number of discounts didn’t really apply but I will look again. A possible solution for us might be to book using a promo and then if things start to look good then perhaps submit to rent DVC and give up the weeks that we get, if any, that we had booked at a discount. Thanks for the info and maybe I can try it that way.
Oh man....I'm not sure about Canada and the discounts but I'm sure that website has all the info. It's been super helpful for us.

fishbisquit

Are you referencing May 2021? If so I’m pretty sure you will be facing some restrictions. Our plan is to go in 2022 so I was being hopeful that in another 16 months it might be restriction free!
Yes, Sorry I missed that you were referencing 2022. We are moving ahead with our May 2021 plan. We are 2 adults and DW is just part of a larger Florida trip for us. Some of the changes will be a bummer but the smaller crowds is the big positive that has us not changing our plan. Good luck with your trip!

Familyof5

I am preparing to book an extensive WDW trip in May 2022 for my husband and I and our two daughters families. So a total of 6 adults and 4 children. This will mark the first trip for all the grandchildren and I was hoping for a return to normalcy as much as possible. I would be doing this renting DVC points at AKL to give them an exciting complete trip. Two weeks so it’s a lot of money and non refundable. This trip has been put off for several years and we are hoping to keep this date intact. For us our only options are May or October. Really hoping to keep this in May but I am wondering from all the Disney experts on this board and the current information we now have regarding vaccine roll outs, whether things would be completely back to normal at this point. I am assuming Disney would continue to go above and beyond recommendations but I’m sure they need to consider a return for international guests to a somewhat more normal experience. We are all from Canada so it’s a costly endeavour. All opinions and thoughts are most appreciated!
Given the significant cost, you may want to hold off booking; no one knows vaccination schedules. Having said that, I have rented DVC multiple times and it's a great way to go. May is my favorite month; and, October is a close second; cooler, lower crowds. But, stay clear of the week after Easter it is as busy as Christmas; avoid the week of the Cheerleading Football crowd - MAY?- great kids, just WAY busy. Also, in October avoid Epcot resorts when the Gartner Group conference is active - just too busy for my liking. So, check these event dates.

My experience has been that the 1 Bedrooms book up quickly; often 1 year in advance. However, the 2 Bedroom villas are often available closer to my vacation time; I have never had a problem booking a 2B in May or October; one year I did it in February. Disney requires the ticket purchase and reservation now so that may determine timing. BTW, I love AKL and usually stay several days; get a Savannah view - it is worth the splurge for a few days, but not the entire time. Then, I have Disney move the luggage; never a problem. For your next location, I like Yacht and Beach for proximity to Epcot and an evening walk along the Boardwalk. I like OKW for quiet and best value for money; you can take a boat and be in busy Disney Springs with lots of restaurant options- especially good with adult children who want a little freedom. Saratoga Springs is undergoing renovation - also close to Disney Springs but don't upgrade and get a place close to Disney Springs - the noise can be a bit too much if you want to sleep.

I use Instacart to deliver food for breakfast and snacks; for a small tip, Disney will hold and deliver your groceries when you return to your room. Be patient - they are busy people. Just be aware that if you order wine/beer - you must be present to accept groceries. So, bascially, don't order alcohol - and they will deliver groceries while you are out having fun. If you want something, the small stores on Disney property sell wine and beer.

There is rumour that Disney has permanently stopped the Magic Express - a free shuttle from the Airport to Disney properties. You may need a car; car rental can be a problem during conferences (see above). I have taken Mears service from the airport; Uber is an option. Once on property, you don't really need a car (see grocery delivery). But, if you do get a car, confirm with your DVC rental that parking is included for both the resort and theme parks; it can add up.

As a final tip, we purchased a yearly pass to the water parks for a May trip....and visited the waterparks every other day as a bit of RnR on a two -week trip.

Enjoy your trip. It's a wonderful way to spend time as a family. I've run out of fingers and toes counting the number of times that I have gone.

Wendylet

Original Poster
Given the significant cost, you may want to hold off booking; no one knows vaccination schedules. Having said that, I have rented DVC multiple times and it's a great way to go. May is my favorite month; and, October is a close second; cooler, lower crowds. But, stay clear of the week after Easter it is as busy as Christmas; avoid the week of the Cheerleading Football crowd - MAY?- great kids, just WAY busy. Also, in October avoid Epcot resorts when the Gartner Group conference is active - just too busy for my liking. So, check these event dates.

My experience has been that the 1 Bedrooms book up quickly; often 1 year in advance. However, the 2 Bedroom villas are often available closer to my vacation time; I have never had a problem booking a 2B in May or October; one year I did it in February. Disney requires the ticket purchase and reservation now so that may determine timing. BTW, I love AKL and usually stay several days; get a Savannah view - it is worth the splurge for a few days, but not the entire time. Then, I have Disney move the luggage; never a problem. For your next location, I like Yacht and Beach for proximity to Epcot and an evening walk along the Boardwalk. I like OKW for quiet and best value for money; you can take a boat and be in busy Disney Springs with lots of restaurant options- especially good with adult children who want a little freedom. Saratoga Springs is undergoing renovation - also close to Disney Springs but don't upgrade and get a place close to Disney Springs - the noise can be a bit too much if you want to sleep.

I use Instacart to deliver food for breakfast and snacks; for a small tip, Disney will hold and deliver your groceries when you return to your room. Be patient - they are busy people. Just be aware that if you order wine/beer - you must be present to accept groceries. So, bascially, don't order alcohol - and they will deliver groceries while you are out having fun. If you want something, the small stores on Disney property sell wine and beer.

There is rumour that Disney has permanently stopped the Magic Express - a free shuttle from the Airport to Disney properties. You may need a car; car rental can be a problem during conferences (see above). I have taken Mears service from the airport; Uber is an option. Once on property, you don't really need a car (see grocery delivery). But, if you do get a car, confirm with your DVC rental that parking is included for both the resort and theme parks; it can add up.

As a final tip, we purchased a yearly pass to the water parks for a May trip....and visited the waterparks every other day as a bit of RnR on a two -week trip.

Enjoy your trip. It's a wonderful way to spend time as a family. I've run out of fingers and toes counting the number of times that I have gone.
Thank you so much for your informative reply. Lots of great information there. I had heard about the cheerleading thing you mentioned. Not sure exactly how to find out those dates. Is this posted anywhere hat you know of?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
If you don’t know the answer, then chances are none of us here would, either. We’re not medical experts. Just theme park enthusiasts.

aliceismad

Thank you so much for your informative reply. Lots of great information there. I had heard about the cheerleading thing you mentioned. Not sure exactly how to find out those dates. Is this posted anywhere hat you know of?
If you google Disney World Special events calendar, crowd calendar, or "when is the best time to go," you'll find some resources. I'm not sure which we're allowed to link to here. Most decent crowd calendars will give you an idea of what's going on when. I don't think the exact dates for future years have been set yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom