To rent a car or not to rent a car...

jengrey

Has anyone used the WDW buses lately?

I've been reading quite a few negative reviews regarding the resort bus service from the past year (long waits, it taking way too long to get to the parks because the bus stops at numerous resorts, overcrowding, etc, etc). Were the buses from your resort to the parks horrible, decent, or great? I'd like to know because I'm debating renting a car at MCO and driving to and from the parks. My husband and I will be staying at POFQ and, although I've stayed there before and have taken the buses with no real problems, that was 5 years ago.

...and one more question: does anyone have good recommendations for rental companies?

I've been reading quite a few negative reviews regarding the resort bus service from the past year (long waits, it taking way too long to get to the parks because the bus stops at numerous resorts, overcrowding, etc, etc). Were the buses from your resort to the parks horrible, decent, or great? I'd like to know because I'm debating renting a car at MCO and driving to and from the parks. My husband and I will be staying at POFQ and, although I've stayed there before and have taken the buses with no real problems, that was 5 years ago.

...and one more question: does anyone have good recommendations for rental companies?

Just got back from a 7 day trip on Monday. We rented a car for the second year in a row and we think it's invaluable. Even when we were staying at Wildnerness Lodge with it's sublime boat service to the MK and the Bay Lake resorts, it's great to have a car to get to HS/AK and Universal.

On the advice of my buddy who travels to MCO for work, I signed up for the gratis Gold Rewards or whatever program at Hertz and had just about the best rental experience I've ever had. You fill out everything beforehand and when you get to the airport you check in with an agent using an expedited line for about 60 seconds and then go directly to the car which has the keys in it already. You completely avoid the usual "are you sure you don't want the insurance" conversation and the usual mellow harshing line because no one is dimmer than the person in front of you on an airport line.

If you do rent a car make sure you have cash/change for the tolls. My girlfriend and I got stuck at a toll that only took exact change and we were basically pulled over and searching the cushions. Someone from another car actually gave us change to make it through.

Upvote 0

nolatron

Ever since we started going with the kids we've rented a car. We've stayed onsite and offsite and both ways found having the car to be convenient for us.

Just knowing that when we leave a park and can simply walk to our car rather than waiting for a bus and having to lug the stroller, bags, and two kids up on it and hope for seating is worth it to us. Even without the kids I think I'd still prefer having a car simply in case of a situation that requires to get someplace outside the resort (pharmacy, grocery, hospital, etc...).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nolatron

On the advice of my buddy who travels to MCO for work, I signed up for the gratis Gold Rewards or whatever program at Hertz and had just about the best rental experience I've ever had. You fill out everything beforehand and when you get to the airport you check in with an agent using an expedited line for about 60 seconds and then go directly to the car which has the keys in it already. You completely avoid the usual "are you sure you don't want the insurance" conversation and the usual mellow harshing line because no one is dimmer than the person in front of you on an airport line.

On our last trip we did something similar with Alamo. With their insider program (that's free) you can do a online check-in thing and print the paperwork before you leave. Then when you get to MCO you completely bypass the counter and just walk out to the garage, pick your car, and leave. Just show the paperwork at the both on the way out and done. It was awesome.

Upvote 0

Jeff456

Used to think the buses were great and my trips in 2010 and 2012 with my parents part of me felt like I was missing the buses and they were part of the experience. Perhaps things had been better on my 2008 trip or it was just some misplaced nostalgia. Hired a car myself in 2014 with Sixt (who were amazing and I'll get to that.) and I would not look back. We used the bus to get to Magic Kingdom once and it was HORRIBLE we waited ages for a bus thereby missing almost all of the EMH that morning which set us badly behind schedule on our touring plan for the day. Despite MK being the only park running EMH that morning and there being a huge queue at the POFQ stop loads of other buses came. Despite being near the front of what I would describe as a line when the bus finally appeared it became a free for all and not wanting to be rude and push we were almost last on the bus. The car on the other hand was pure bliss and even having to go via the TTC I would rather use the car than disney transport even for MK.
Sixt were great, by far the cheapest (yes offsite but the transfer only took 10 minutes) their cars were all brand new. We paid for an intermediate and when we arrived we had been upgraded to a full size so were given a VW Passat with only 1500 miles on the clock, which was great except the tyre pressure monitoring light illuminated shortly after leaving so I returned it.
Back at the rental desk they apologised profusely and said they would upgrade us again (I didn't complain or anything!) she then gave me a VW Beetle which I think was an error although brand new, when she saw me having to be a little creative with our two cases into the boot she claimed to have made a mistake and bought us out a brand new Audi A3 saloon which was classed as premium and would have been over double to cost of the intermediate car I tried to rent (and also technically being only 24 I was too young to select it on the website but she said not to worry).
The car was great completely flawless and to top it all off if you are under 25 Sixt cap their young drivers charge at MCO at $49 regardless of length of rental (we had it for two weeks.)
Will use them again and would recommend them to anyone else!

Upvote 0

K&M

We always have a car rental. Alamo, Budget, E-Z have never had a problem for us, and are usually very reasonable. They are located at the airport unlike others that are off site.

I like to be able to come and go when I please and not have to wait for a bus. The buses have been very crowded and sometimes you need to skip some of the buses that arrive because they are filled to capacity.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I get frustrated with pointless time. We have mix thoughts on the buses. They are very convenient if used right. They frustrated us after wishes a night. Had to wait for our bid back to Boardwalk for an hour. Also was a pain going from DTD to epcot. But overall it's a benefit, esieciaoly if right on $$$

Upvote 0

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
We always rent. We did Disney transportation on our first trip in 2000 and my husband hated using the buses. Plus it gives us the chance to get off property if we want.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It is always nice to have the option of driving to AK and DHS for us. It makes it easier to head to DTD....well maybe before they started all of the destruction, which I'm sure will be great once complete. However you can take the boat from POFQ which is a nice bonus. It is also a plus if you have ADRs at another resort that you have to plan a route to.

Other things to consider:
**how long of a walk from the parking lot to the park? It may be quicker to ride the bus and you get dropped off closer often times

**how long does it take to drive myself to the park from the resort? is it quicker than the bus after you pay parking, get flagged into a spot and wait for the tram if applicable

**do you like some flexibility in your plans-would you leave a park to hop to DTD for a meal?

**you are ready to go to the parks as soon as you have dressed and eaten (in any order ;)) no need to wait, just hop in and drive

**do you have a stroller or wheelchair that can be hauled easier in the car. Motorized ones are serviced really well by the busses

I think ultimately it comes down to how many times will you use a vehicle? Does it justify the cost?

THIS!

I'd also add, "Do you enjoy driving, or do you find it to be a chore?" DH and I spend so much time commuting by car in our "real lives" that driving is the last thing we want to do on vacation. We've always relied solely on Disney buses -- we typically have one bus snafu per trip where we're waiting unreasonably long, and the rest of the time we're never waiting more than 10 minutes. The fact that we can step into air-conditioned comfort (instead of getting into a sun-baked, scorching-hot car) when we go to leave is also a nice feature.

Upvote 0

pug

Just got back from a 7 day trip on Monday. We rented a car for the second year in a row and we think it's invaluable. Even when we were staying at Wildnerness Lodge with it's sublime boat service to the MK and the Bay Lake resorts, it's great to have a car to get to HS/AK and Universal.

If you do rent a car make sure you have cash/change for the tolls. My girlfriend and I got stuck at a toll that only took exact change and we were basically pulled over and searching the cushions. Someone from another car actually gave us change to make it through.[/QUOTE/] Avis and budget has something called fastbreak and is better then hertz in terms of car Quality

Upvote 0

Pete256

I have never rented a car - we stay at in Boardwalk area in either Yacht or Beach Club - we walk to Epcot, walk or take boat to DHS and we are early risers and usually on first bus at 7:15 to MK and close to, if not front of the line for rope drop. AK is not a problem either, but then again there are a lot of buses to the Boardwalk area hotels.

the one big drawback for me is getting back and from to downtown Disney, especially at night - seemed like a shortage of buses and too many people at one time.

Upvote 0

Much-Pixie-Dust

We are renters. We used WDW buses the solely on our first trip and intermittently on a couple of other trips. We love the freedom of going to and from other places before and after the park without making bus connections to get there, and using it to go to other non-Disney places too. I love leaving a park and driving straight to the airport rather than using DME.

Personally, I like being with just my family in a car, rather than a crowded bus of people after a day at the park.

I agree with @Weather_Lady, it depends on if you like to drive or not. My husband loves to drive, so it works for our family.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Me and DH always use a car as we find it is a lot quicker and more convienient than the busses. We have used the buses before and took a lot more time to and from parks rather than driving. Also love that I'm guaranteed a seat after a long day in the parks and on the busses you may have to stand if they are full. Lol. Also the parking is free at all parks if you are staying on property etc. If you can afford it I say try renting a car. :)

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Our trip last month was the only one I can remember that we've not had long waits for transportation - bus or boat (stayed at WL). We managed to arrive at the bus stop/boat dock just before a bus/boat arrived. And in spite of it being both Memorial Day weekend and Star Wars weekend, neither form of transportation was particularly crowded when we used them - just lucky I guess. We drive down, but have always used Disney transportation to get around. Which makes for some interesting routes when we want to go from a park to DTD or vice versa or resort to resort.

Upvote 0

LowesChevy

THIS!

I'd also add, "Do you enjoy driving, or do you find it to be a chore?" DH and I spend so much time commuting by car in our "real lives" that driving is the last thing we want to do on vacation. We've always relied solely on Disney buses -- we typically have one bus snafu per trip where we're waiting unreasonably long, and the rest of the time we're never waiting more than 10 minutes. The fact that we can step into air-conditioned comfort (instead of getting into a sun-baked, scorching-hot car) when we go to leave is also a nice feature.

Great point--if you have a long commute at home you probably do not want to spend you vacation driving! We live in a small town and our business is 5 miles from our home, so not a deal breaker ;)

Upvote 0

nolatron

Personally, I like being with just my family in a car, rather than a crowded bus of people after a day at the park.

This too. Love getting in a car and it just being us. Not hearing 30 other conversations at the same time, or that awkward silence that nobody wants to break cause everyone will hear you, is nice. We can sit down, chat about the day, etc.. and not worry about disturbing others on the way back to the hotel.

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
All the times I've gone, my family and I have never rented a car. I cant remember a time where I felt the need to complain about Disney Transportation. I can see having a car as a good thing so you can come and go freely but I've always enjoyed using transportation. We've always stayed at a Magic Kingdom resort so using the boats and monorail is a big plus! Another reason we never rented a car is because it can be a bit costly. We would rather spend the money in Disney instead of renting a car.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom