To leash your children or not in the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

muggle148

Original Poster
I've always seen parents with leashes or harnesses around their childern in the parks. I'm guessing these are parents who lost their childern in the parks before. I'am not a father yet so I'm wondering if this is right what parents are doing. Or should parents just keep a better eye on their children.

real mad hatter

Lol. Children of lost parents at WDW. " Hello Mr Spielberg,I've got this idea for your new movie." Have you seen the excitement on kids faces when they see something like a character or dole whip..Hang on to your kids as its so easy to turn round for one second and there off.;)

Sans Souci

I've never had to use one, but I don't judge people who do. It was absolutely heaving at the MK last weekend and I could see how you could lose a small child (especially if you have more than one with you.).I did see a few children on leashes. You don't know if that child is on the autism spectrum or what other issues he or she may have that isn't readily apparent.

My son makes high pitched noises and flaps his hands when he is at WDW (he is an Aspie), people stare. I don't care. I usually wave or say, "Hi" and they stop staring.

Magenta Panther

I've always seen parents with leashes or harnesses around their childern in the parks. I'm guessing these are parents who lost their childern in the parks before. I'am not a father yet so I'm wondering if this is right what parents are doing. Or should parents just keep a better eye on their children.

A leash beats a stroller as far as I'm concerned. :p

litaljohn

I'm going to come at this from a slightly different angle. I don't have kids, and my dog is so old he snuck out my side door and I found him taking a nap after making it 10 feet, but I understand it for some.

while I totally agree that for some it's lazy parenting, but I also know what it's like to worry to extremes and be very obsessive compulsive. I for instance am obsessive compulsive about my phone, about it being charged and about me being able to contact people. when I am home, the phone is always plugged in to the charger to stay full, when I'm in the car I have a charger adapter. in my pocket always is a portable charger
and cable that can recharge my phone 2 and a half times, and if that weren't enough in a bag or backpack with me is an even larger charger that has enough power to recharge the phone fully ten times. ( an for the icing on the cake, at home I also have a hand crank generator that fits standard sockets should all the above go dead) Do I need any of these things? no not in the least, I honestly don't think I've ever had my phone lose more than 50% power. but I need to have them with me regardless.

so with that in mind I can see the whole leash thing. it may not be any knok on parenting skills but a security blanket for the parent that as nothing to do with the child's behavior, or upbringing. I can see a parent acting exactly how others have said about always holding your child's hand or even picking them upand carrying them. regardless though as irrational as it is, that may not be enough to calm the terror the parent has trying to keep their kid safe. they know that the child is safe with them but have to have that backup just because.
so in that regard I can understand some (again some) parents using it, because we see the leash but we have no idea,parent or child, who it's really there for.

Lisalyn

I have SO many things to say about people who "leash" their kids. Sorry but if you can't control your child, you shouldn't be where you are! I would never....could never put a leash on my child. They are not dogs. I see it at Disney, I see it in stores..and every single time I can assure you...they can see my disgust. Whoever came up with the concept should be caged :eek: I mean really? What the heck! Rant over :)

Disvillain63

Maybe it's my age, but I don't like leashes and the use of strollers for children over 5...I taught my 3-year old to hold onto my hand or the stroller in certain situations; he was sometimes carried if needed. I never used a tandem-stroller.

We took our now 8-year old, but then 7-year old to WDW last fall (saw lots of kids between the ages of 5-10 in strollers); he did just fine w/o a stroller...

Britt

We don't use em, but I don't get why people keep their dogs safer than their kiddos.
My boys know to stay with me, and I'm very attentive and aware of where my children are, at all times. Always a constant head count, they are to always walk ahead of me. And they don't venture far. We teach them from a pretty early age to stay with us, hold hands and such.

But I see people say things about using leashes on their dog and not their kids. I guess I just don't see why we'd keep our dogs safer and more protected then our children (if you know you're child is prone to disappearing acts.). Especially when we know and see, a lot of the time at Disney, a child over excited by a character, a ride/treat and so on. I would never judge a parent if I saw them using one. I'd figure they know their child better then I do, so who am I to assume they're lazy parents vs over excited kiddos at Disney World.

Hell, Disney World, the airport and the state fair are 2 places I would EXPECT to see a "leash/harness", more so then the grocery store or the mall....LOL

**EDIT!!!!** Remembered we DID use one while at Gatorland. It was purchased by my MIL and we used it for about 15 minutes before realizing it was unnecessary due to the height of enclosures (we weren't sure when we were deciding to go). It's stored away now apparently!**

ratherbeinwdw

People can look in disgust all they want, but if that leash saves even one child from injury or getting lost, I'm all for it. I always held my son's and daughter's hands when they were little, but even with that, my son got away from me one time, and it was the worst time of my life. A little one could so easily get hurt in the park.
My mom used them on my brothers, who were twins, when they were three and under and that was 56 years ago. That was way before the cutsie stuffed animal ones they have now. Our pediatrician, at the time, recommended it. My mom had a seven-year-old, a six-year-old, two three-year-olds, a two-year-old and a baby. She didn't care what anyone said. She wanted to keep her children safe. She never had to use a leash on the girls, just those two rambunctious boys :). My dad was Irish Catholic and didn't believe in birth control.
It didn't hurt my brothers one bit. It's not like they're around their necks like a dog.

luv

I never needed to put a leash on my son, but I don't care if other people need that. Better a leash than listening to, "Ryan! Ryan! Ryan, come back here! RyyyAN! Ryan, I mean it! I'm going to count to three. 1, 2, 3. RYAN!" That annoys me oh so much more than a leash.

I do think people who use leashes should keep it short. Yes, it's nice for little Ryan to wander off a couple feet...but it isn't so nice for the person behind you who gets tripped by your leash. Please keep the leashes short, like if you were holding hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom