To go or not to go

12in12

I have a luxury problem I just can't seem to solve.
I have a 12 night family trip planned for beginning of December. I have been happily planning it all but it feels so far away. I have nearly 3 weeks holiday end of August beginning of September and after looking at my finances I realised I could go for a 10 night trip then as well.
On the one hand I am telling myself I should be responsible and add the money to my savings or over pay the mortgage but on the other hand I would love to have a solo trip and enjoy the world without having to please anyone. I am a bit worried that going so close together I might suffer from World overload.
So should I stay or should I go?

12in12

Original Poster
I am from the UK so a shorter trip doesn't make sense for me. I am super lucky that I have this problem. People have made some good points that I should save for the future etc. but I am quite sensible with money so I can afford it. I have decided I want to have a holiday and I could do WDW within my budget, so now I just have to make up my mind if I want to do 22 days in WDW this year or if I want to go somewhere else for a change.

Upvote 0

12in12

Original Poster
Save the money for Xmas gifts instead. Or plan something special while on vacation that costs extra, like a dinner show or a fireworks boat excursion!

I am treating my mum and siblings to the December trip so that's my Christmas gifts sorted. As we have the DDP I don't want to schedule anything extra.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The financial side of me says, "put the money away for your retirement!" However, the kid in me says, "if you can afford that extra trip, go." So far this year, we've gone in January, February, March, April and May. And will be paying an afternoon visit to EPCOT next month thanks to do a menu tasting for my daughter's upcoming wedding.

Upvote 0

hanwill

What about going to Disneyland? It might take you a little longer to get there, but it is worth it. It is so different and so similar from WDW.... It's two parks, and you could take 3-4 days for Disney, but experience other parts of Southern California as well...

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Another vote for changing it up...go to Disneyland. You'll get to experience everything going on for the 60th anniversary and get tons of Disney magic while still varying up your trips and doing something a bit different.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

You have to go to do research for the group visit in December. You want to make sure all your December plans will work out. So that all the other family members have the best time ever. You are taking one for the team.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

Go and stay and do different stuff than you'll do in December. Going when it's decorated for Christmas is awesome in itself and going when it's a different season feels like a whole other trip. Id definitely stay at a different resort atleast.

Upvote 0

12in12

Original Poster
You have to go to do research for the group visit in December. You want to make sure all your December plans will work out. So that all the other family members have the best time ever. You are taking one for the team.

I have decided to sacrifice myself and take a solo trip. I am super excited to be going from 24 August till 3 September. Keeping it as low cost as possible I will be staying at AS Sport, I found a not too expensive flight on Virgin so I am sticking with my budget. I'll buy the UK ultimate ticket as it is cheaper than a 10 day park hopper US and won't be making any ADR's.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Great decision! You'll be able to enjoy WDW without playing Tour Director with your family. We took our moms (aged 86 and 90) to WDW last Sept and although it was a wonderful trip with memories we will cherish, by the time we left my husband and I were ready for a vacation just to recover. So....we went to DL a month later, telling our grown boys that we had a use or lose a free airline companion ticket we didn't want to waste. (Funny thing is, we have another one...so are headed to DL in Dec just in time for Christmas decorations) ;)

As for no ADRs, we are going QS on our trip this Sept. Actually, we have several QS places we look forward to every trip: Cosmic Ray's, Harbor House, and Flame Tree.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom