Tips For Teens

TTARider

Interruption? said:
I'm 17. Yeah the walkman thing is an excellent idea. Other than that, ehhhh. Now I'm not going to pretend that I accurately represent the POV of EVERY teenager out there. I think that's one of the aggravating mistakes that adults make about teenagers. They forget that despite the fact that we might act stereotypically of our age, we are our own people. One of the best things that I think can be done is either, letting your teen bring a friend, or scheduling your trip around the same time as their friend's family. Don't forget that this is the age where we are desperately trying to let our parents know that, far from needing to be buckled in, we ARE our own people and we DO need time away from the family (We love you guys. Really we do love our parents, but for the love of God, why must you guys be so... parentish all the time?). I think the best thing you can do to keep your teen happy is letting them do what they want. If you stay on Disney property, give them their ticket in the morning when the rest of the family is leaving for the park, give them a "have fun, we'll be back <insert time here>." If you want to have some quality time with your teen, that's a great way to do it, because then they won't be sick of you, and they WILL eventually feel like spending some time with the family.

I can't believe I just divulged all that. I'm so getting my teenage membership card taken away from me in school tomorrow.

Yeah,17 here too and thoose definatly don't represent me.

Can't wait for my next trip june 3rd,2006 with the Robinson H.S. Band.

Yetiguy

tigger-wdw said:
I thought this be very helpful to familys that had teens.these just a few ideas i found in my travel book birnbaum's guide to walt disney barns and nobles sells it for $16.95
1-take a walkman -perfect for sitting by the pool-side at your resort,just take take few favorits
2-pack a hat why? much easier to throw hat on then do your hair each morning!
3thers lots of resturants for teens just a few rain forest cafe,planet hollywood,sci-fi dine-in-theater,one of the best is 50's prime time cafe in mgm .its a great way to see your parents get yelled at by "mom" and "dad" waiters!
4-try to get along with your brothers and sisters, dont bug them to do things u want to do but offer to do things they want too.
5one of the coolest things in magic kindom is the E-RIDE nights lets you stay in the park after hours and ride all the beast rides like splash mountain,space mountain,thunder mountain railroad,haulted mansion just a few.
5 thers another attraction that i like the best this is not in the book that in downtown disney west side called disney quest for $25.00 you get play all the virtiallity games, pinball,quater games sports games,action ,stradegy games,plus lots of rides things to do for teens and adults. some packages have disney quest as part as ther package ask your local travel agent last 2 yrs we got in free with are passes.

remmeber this all started by a mouse

I would also recommend to teens that they not bother with Everest. It's really boring.

makonyy15

I think he meant the original ideas don't represent him.

I'm 17 as well and I see where everyone's coming from, and I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. The friend thing on vacation with family is great, i've done it before, just not for Disney. We go to the beach every year, and that's my time to have fun, so I hang out with a friend down there. However, at Disney my family shares the same very high level of interest, so it really is the only place we can get along for over a week straight. I've been going since I was a year old, so I guess I built up that quality but who knows.

I understand some teens that aren't overly obsessed or thrilled to be at Disney, and that's the time when iPods, PS2's and excessive cell phone usage are key, however, I think there's a point when you just kind of get sucked into the excitement, and forget about high school for the vacation.

The one thing I do like the bring is a laptop, because I can still talk to friends and surf the net when everyone else is getting ready for dinner, or eating breakfast. I'm one of the people who can't go a week without the internet:hammer: . One final suggestion, perhaps taking a tour with your dad/mom will be something fun too, I'm taking the Keys to the Kingdom tour with my dad since my sister's too young to go and my mom is going to watch her, hopefully it'll be really fun.

melbatoast

Last time I went to Disney I was 13, and I saved $100 before my trip to spend. My parents usually buy my sister and I a couple little things, but we spend OUR money. It's good. It really makes you think about what you buy. We go again this August, and I have a part-time job now, so I'm putting part of my pay each week into a separate savings account. We're going with family friends, and I work with their daughter so she's doing the same thing. By the time we leave, we'll have lots saved up.

Bringing a MP3 player is an awesome idea, especially for the drive/flight. I love it, and we're renting a house with a pool so we're going to bring a small set of portable speakers, and we can alternate blasting out our own music. It saves having to bring a bunch of CDs.

As for the whole family thing, me and my dad have always done a lot together, while my little sister, mom, and grandparents sat down. He's the only one who would go on rockin' rollercoase, tower of terror, etc. with me. This time, however, my sister plans to go on them, and my grandparents aren't coming. Plus, the friends of ours(another family, kids 10,15) are really close with us, and everyone but the two youngest kids have cell phones. the two youngest kids will each get a walkie talkie, and the last two will go to my friend(the 15 y/o) and I and the parents. This is a great way to do things beacause we call ALL be in contact when nessecary, and even though we'll do the major stuff together(ie. Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc.) we can split into groups for other things. All in all, I'd say this'll be my best trip yet.

aka_emilicious

I'm 19 and also agree with letting the teens have some time with friends. What I do have to add to that is to parents is know your kids. Please. I work at an amusement park, and I can't believe how these teenagers act! I never remember being that rude or unaware of people around me.

I know everyone on these boards are probably the ones I sit and talk to while they're waiting to go on the ride, and are absolute joys to have in the park.

Other teens however, are just...rude. They have no sense etiquette I guess. I've had to stop myself from explaining to these teenagers that what they are doing/saying is just rude!

Just my two cents.

DisneyBride94

One thing I like is this is the one place I feel fairly comfortable in letting them go off on their own. While I prefer to have everyone together, allowing these breaks with designated "reassembly" times work well for all, and they don't get "sick" of us as the week goes on. We do have walkie-talkies or phones if something comes up. The nice thing is they then come back to us and tell us what they've "discovered", then often ask us to revisit with them (we try to act cool and nonplussed, but just love the desire to share with us.

As with home, dinner is together.

Also allows us to spend more time and attention with the younger one who is often swept along with other plans.

Wow! Will I ever feel I am at the point as a parent to let my kids off on their own at WDW??? I can't even imagine that time right now! (My kids are 2, 4, and 6). I guess I would hope that the three of them would at least stay together if they get too old to want to hang out with mom and dad. Sniff. Sniff. :cry: Makes me sad to even think about it... The good news is that they are all close in age...so they should continue to have similar interests...the little one in our family will never feel swept away with their plans--he wants to do whatever they do! LOL. Interest food for thought for the future...

I guess I would hope that the three of them would at least stay together if they get too old to want to hang out with mom and dad. Sniff. Sniff. :cry:

Not to worry you or anything...but when my parents let my brother and I go off in the Magic Kingdom together alone, we split up as soon as they were out of eyesight...and the other sibling was conveniently in the bathroom, or in the middle of paying for something, or taking a picture with Mickey whenever a parent called one of us...:lookaroun

:drevil:

xx_lilo_xx

i'm 17 and am goin one my first wdw trip with my parent allown in sep but am meeting up with my sitster her faicie andhis little sister 1 week while we are there and the other week is for me my mum and dad. we have also taken my sister best friend along to wdw with us twice, this idea was that her and my sister could do the big rides together as i dont like them and that we could all hang out together it was a good idea.

Tara Stone

My children are 14, 5 and 1 year.
I thought some people out there might be interested in what the 14 year old enjoyed. To begin with, we brought Grandma along to accompany him or the two younger girls when they just weren't going to do the same things. My son had a great time going parasailing and renting sea raycers. He very much enjoyed shopping and sightseeing thru the countries at Epcot. Spent a fourtune at the UK sports store! Although I suspect he's the only one at school with a Liverpoole jersey! Of course the major rides interested him (expedition, kali, space mountain, big thunder, splash, soarin, test track etc)
He liked Blizzard beach and wished he could have seen more of it (we had to leave due to a special reservation). And like everyone else of any age he was hooting along with the little ones at hoop de doo. He could have shopped all night at the Marketplace. Enjoyed MGM...he went with Gramma because we didn't take the little ones there at all. Disneyquest is also a good choice for teens. My son also enjoys renting a pontoon and lazing around Bay lake. He and my Husband took a guided fishing tour that was fun. A big highlight for him was golfing. He did the Magnolia, the Osprey and Lake Buena Vista..enjoyed all of it! I would love top be able to afford to take a friend for him next time around!

eils

i always save my own money. then you can buy what you want to buy rather than having a spending limit with parents:lol: .

WDWizard626

I have the book too and wondered if that tips for teens section was even written by teens..get along with your brothers and sisters? Never! Walkman? No, iPod. A good tip is to bring your own money so you can have freedom with shopping and don't have to beg your parents every time you see something you want in the store or something to eat at the parks.

TTARider

Here's my opinion. When we went with band this past june my group's (3 of us) favorite part was the countries of Epcot, but some of the less educated people hated the countries and didn't even go to them. Could have been that my family usually spends a day at just the countries, so I was excited and maybe that got them excited. Different people react different ways. I think it depends on 2 factors: 1. are they willing to be a kid? 2. How mature are they?

Sleeping*Beauty

So much Fun

Im 15 and im go to wdw for the 3rd time. I'm an only child so last time when I went with my mom and grandparents just stayed with them. But, I don't like roller coasters or scary rides. So everything thing I did they did. Also, last time when I was 13 I didn't spend much money. I bought a cute Stitch doll in a hula outfit and my mom bought me a charm bracelet but that was it. But, we were rushing to see everything in two days. This April we are going to take more time to shop and I am already saving money.

DisneyDancer312

i am 17 and i know that my parents appriciate me bringing a little bit of my own money. they dont mind buying me something but when i have to buy for my friends thats when they told me to pay for it. that is really the only thing. they get irritated when i spend 30$ on pens :eek:

k.hunter30

I thought this be very helpful to familys that had teens.these just a few ideas i found in my travel book birnbaum's guide to walt disney barns and nobles sells it for $16.95
1-take a walkman -perfect for ....

What's a walkman? :ROFLOL: :animwink: :animwink: hee hee...

wdwishes2005

On what planet do teens still use walkmen?
Earth Circa 1950....
I hate my iSuck though. I wish someone could release a decent MP3 player that kills the DRM beast and is actually reliable instead of my 'break every two days and make me remove the battery to fix it' iSuck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom