Tips for Peak Season

Destiny Romayne

Original Poster
Avid Disney lover here. Been to Disney World many times. Every time I plan a trip the sadness of wanting to be here/ the excitement of wanting to be there again kicks in. We've always gone in either July or in August before school starts. So it's always been very hot and summery( but worth it for the memories). This year we are going at the week of Thanksgiving break, the 19th-26th. I've been made aware by many people to be cautious that it will be insanely busy. Besides staying on site and getting early entry, and after magic hours, is there any other advice to help beat the crowds/make it more manageable. Also what should we wear at that time of season? I live in a Houston and Houston is unbareable hot all year round. Were cry babies and pull out the sweaters when it's like 75 lol. Thanks in advance! So exciting to be back at my true home, the Magic Kingdom. I've seen so many videos of Main Street at Thanksgiving/Christmas and I almost wanna cry tears of joy

Smiley/OCD

Avid Disney lover here. Been to Disney World many times. Every time I plan a trip the sadness of wanting to be here/ the excitement of wanting to be there again kicks in. We've always gone in either July or in August before school starts. So it's always been very hot and summery( but worth it for the memories). This year we are going at the week of Thanksgiving break, the 19th-26th. I've been made aware by many people to be cautious that it will be insanely busy. Besides staying on site and getting early entry, and after magic hours, is there any other advice to help beat the crowds/make it more manageable. Also what should we wear at that time of season? I live in a Houston and Houston is unbareable hot all year round. Were cry babies and pull out the sweaters when it's like 75 lol. Thanks in advance! So exciting to be back at my true home, the Magic Kingdom. I've seen so many videos of Main Street at Thanksgiving/Christmas and I almost wanna cry tears of joy
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to bring a long sleeve shirt or 2 and, at the very least, a sweatshirt and fleece pullover...
Even if it's hot during the day, which it usually is, the AC on the busses is always cranked high at night

mousehockey37

- You won't beat the crowds.
- Knowing there will be crowds, don't set your expectations super high. Know that you will be waiting for rides. Know that you might not get everything done.
- Be flexible. The biggest killer of some people's vacations is that they have to stick to whatever this touring site or that planning site said and everything could be a wash the second you step foot in the parks.
- Don't force anything to happen. Disney is still a very magical place, but with social media and people sharing their stories of what happened, others try to force magical stuff now and CM's don't like being put into that position. If you're meant to have a magical Disney moment, you'll have it.
- Be patient. The fuller it gets, the less tolerance people have.

Keep in mind we're here giving you advice that lots of other people can now see as well. Also, there are many boards and forums that discuss this, so take this info for what it's worth.

Destiny Romayne

Original Poster
- Knowing there will be crowds, don't set your expectations super high. Know that you will be waiting for rides. Know that you might not get everything done.
- Be flexible. The biggest killer of some people's vacations is that they have to stick to whatever this touring site or that planning site said and everything could be a wash the second you step foot in the parks.
- Don't force anything to happen. Disney is still a very magical place, but with social media and people sharing their stories of what happened, others try to force magical stuff now and CM's don't like being put into that position. If you're meant to have a magical Disney moment, you'll have it.

Keep in mind we're here giving you advice that lots of other people can now see as well. Also, there are many boards and forums that discuss this, so take this info for what it's worth.

Any advice on holiday/seasonal treats and deserts the parks or Disney springs sell?

mousehockey37

Also...

With wherever you are staying on site... The buses will be full. The stops will be crowded as well. Try and plan accordingly for timing out your days (and rope drops).

As well... the new security setups are up and running. Remember you will be in waiting to get through security too. Again, all things that take patience.

21stamps

I'm going to promote my favorite event again- Early Morning Magic.

Seriously, it is well worth the money IF you like 7DMT, Peter Pan, and Winnie the Pooh.
You can ride them multiple times, hit all of the rides in fantasyland after, eat an included breakfast.. and then start your fast passes, saving the initial 3 for something besides Fantasyland.
We did this on a day when MK closed early for MVMCP.. it was perfect!!

Food- there will be specialty treats, specialty coffees, and hot chocolates. Epcot wil also have kiosks in all of the countries serving holiday foods and beverages.

Clothes- I'm like you and a wimp if the temp is below 80. I wore leggings and long sleeves everyday, my kid wore shorts and tee shirts. He swam in the pool..I only got in the hot tub.

mousehockey37

I'm going to promote my favorite event again- Early Morning Magic.

Seriously, it is well worth the money IF you like 7DMT, Peter Pan, and Winnie the Pooh.
You can ride them multiple times, hit all of the rides in fantasyland after, eat an included breakfast.. and then start your fast passes, saving the initial 3 for something besides Fantasyland.
We did this on a day when MK closed early for MVMCP.. it was perfect!!

Food- there will be specialty treats, specialty coffees, and hot chocolates. Epcot wil also have kiosks in all of the countries serving holiday foods and beverages.

Clothes- I'm like you and a wimp if the temp is below 80. I wore leggings and long sleeves everyday, my kid wore shorts and tee shirts. He swam in the pool..I only got in the hot tub.

Then there's this option too... Throw money at things and beat the crowds that way... If you don't have parkhoppers, paying for EMM, using a day pass and leaving early because the park is closing for the party, may not be the best approach.

I'm from up north. Bring on the cold. When we were down in January it was great walking around in jeans and sweatshirts when it was in the low 50s!!! We laughed at the people bundled up like eskimos.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Also...

With wherever you are staying on site... The buses will be full. The stops will be crowded as well. Try and plan accordingly for timing out your days (and rope drops).

As well... the new security setups are up and running. Remember you will be in waiting to get through security too. Again, all things that take patience.

This is the best advice. Along with that, just remember while you're here that you're here during what is historically one of the busiest times of the year. Lines for everything will be long. You may and probably will even have to wait in line to go to the rest room at times. Plan to wait for anything and everything, and keep your expectations to just being happy to be at WDW during Thanksgiving week. If you do this, and experience more than that, it'll be magical. Also, book your ADRs right now. Don't reply to the thread, go now and book them. We'll still be here when you're finished, but they may not be. :D

21stamps

Then there's this option too... Throw money at things and beat the crowds that way... If you don't have parkhoppers, paying for EMM, using a day pass and leaving early because the park is closing for the party, may not be the best approach.

I'm from up north. Bring on the cold. When we were down in January it was great walking around in jeans and sweatshirts when it was in the low 50s!!! We laughed at the people bundled up like eskimos.

The crowds actually seemed a little lower than on a non mvmcp day.

We didn't hop.. but we didn't do open to close parks. Our MK schedule was this-

MK Day 1-
Park closed at 7pm. We did EMM in the morning left @ 5pm
Back to resort, shower/change then dinner.
Afterwards watch MK fireworks from outside of the park.

MK Day 2-
Resort activities morning/afternoon
MVMCP arrived around 6pm

MK Day 3 -
Resort activities morning/afternoon again.
Non Party Night Extra Magic Hours til 1am.
We arrived at MK around 9pm.

MK Day 4-
Park closed at 7. Arrived around 11am, left around 3pm. (This was our last day)

mousehockey37

The crowds actually seemed a little lower than on a non mvmcp day.

We didn't hop.. but we didn't do open to close parks. Our MK schedule was this-

MK Day 1-
Park closed at 7pm. We did EMM in the morning left @ 5pm
Back to resort, shower/change then dinner.
Afterwards watch MK fireworks from outside of the park.

MK Day 2-
Resort activities morning/afternoon
MVMCP arrived around 6pm

MK Day 3 -
Resort activities morning/afternoon again.
Non Party Night Extra Magic Hours til 1am.
We arrived at MK around 8pm

MK Day 4-
Park closed at 7. Arrived around 11am, left around 3pm. (This was our last day)

What's the point of this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't recall asking for itineraries.

I was just pointing out, using your example, that there are people that will throw money at things if they can "beat the crowds".

21stamps

What's the point of this? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't recall asking for itineraries.

I was just pointing out, using your example, that there are people that will throw money at things if they can "beat the crowds".

For the OP who asked for tips, and your comment about hoppers. The schedule I listed is what my family did, and worked well for us, without hopping.

I don't recommend trying to do open to close parks in crowds..sanity breaks are needed. But then again, plenty of people do bell to bell.. so whatever works for the individual.
Our park days when MK closed early were a lot less crowded than the MK night without a party. I highly recommend to split that way.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
For the OP who asked for tips, and your comment about hoppers. The schedule I listed is what my family did, and worked well for us, without hopping.

I don't recommend trying to do open to close parks in crowds..sanity breaks are needed. But then again, plenty of people do bell to bell.. so whatever works for the individual.
Our park days when MK closed early were a lot less crowded than the MK night without a party. I highly recommend to split that way.

bvm2YhC.png

mousehockey37

Expect crowds...I learned that when I did a two week trip during the week of Veteran's day and the last day of the Food-So-Good-They-Whine-Festival...I'm a winter visitor that goes normally in Jan/Feb....But, man was it busy...

It's nice to go when kids are in school. When they hit a break though, whether a long weekend holiday or longer like Christmas, families flock to WDW. Add in free dining, MVMCP, etc... it's a nightmare.

That said, everyone sees crowds in a different light, which is why I look at crowd calendars as a reference, and reference only.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Get your 3 FP in. Try to get a few more .......But in "Peak" look for out of the way things....The Resorts have a lot to offer. A Luau at the Poly, MBYBBQ, Disney Springs, Hoop De Doo, The Boardwalk, World Showcase (no lines other than for food and drinks.. but still crowded), resort hop, Yehaa Bob....there are plenty of others.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's nice to go when kids are in school. When they hit a break though, whether a long weekend holiday or longer like Christmas, families flock to WDW. Add in free dining, MVMCP, etc... it's a nightmare.

That said, everyone sees crowds in a different light, which is why I look at crowd calendars as a reference, and reference only.

During the time I go it's been the Tour Groups and Cheerleaders....But, now the addition of the Festival of the arts and the Pro-bowl being there I was glad to at least plan my trip after all the football nonsense ends on Jan 28th...

mousehockey37

During the time I go it's been the Tour Groups and Cheerleaders....But, now the addition of the Festival of the arts and the Pro-bowl being there I was glad to at least plan my trip after all the football nonsense ends on Jan 28th...

That's when we were there this year... Pro Bowl week. We flew down on Tuesday morning, went right to the MK... got there before FoF hit Main St. and it was packed. It stayed packed all week, like Astro Orbiter had 120+ waits. We spoke with someone who was there earlier than us and they said Sunday was empty, Monday was ok, then all of a sudden on Tuesday, it was just a sea of people showed up. It took until Saturday afternoon for the crowds to clear out and over to WWoS. The Arts festival wasn't anything overly exciting, IMO. Sure, the stuff was neat, but it was kinda the same stuff in most of the art booths. We didn't bother with the food kiosks.

We didn't think that the crowds would've showed up that early in the week, but we did what we could.

Cmdr_Crimson

That's when we were there this year... Pro Bowl week. We flew down on Tuesday morning, went right to the MK... got there before FoF hit Main St. and it was packed. It stayed packed all week, like Astro Orbiter had 120+ waits. We spoke with someone who was there earlier than us and they said Sunday was empty, Monday was ok, then all of a sudden on Tuesday, it was just a sea of people showed up. It took until Saturday afternoon for the crowds to clear out and over to WWoS. The Arts festival wasn't anything overly exciting, IMO. Sure, the stuff was neat, but it was kinda the same stuff in most of the art booths. We didn't bother with the food kiosks.

We didn't think that the crowds would've showed up that early in the week, but we did what we could.

When I heard about Pro-Bowl coming to Orlando I was pretty aggrivated that it was going to cause crowds to start coming...And reading up on trip reports and looking at the MDE App to see wait times. Normally around that time during the weekdays wait times averaged to about 20-25 minutes on the smaller rides with 40-45 on the E-ticket rides which wasn't too bad...But, during the weekends...Hoo-boy the tour groups and cheerleaders competitions go in full force and it gets pretty busy....When I booked my trip for my 2018 trip I wasn't thinking when the Pro-bowl was happening and luckily I picked it the Day right after it ends...

21stamps

Get your 3 FP in. Try to get a few more .......But in "Peak" look for out of the way things....The Resorts have a lot to offer. A Luau at the Poly, MBYBBQ, Disney Springs, Hoop De Doo, The Boardwalk, World Showcase (no lines other than for food and drinks.. but still crowded), resort hop, Yehaa Bob....there are plenty of others.

Great suggestions. Also watercraft rentals, bike rentals- especially Ft Wilderness to see the decorations, holiday sleigh rides etc.
There's so much to do around the resort, we had a wonderful time spending just as much time outside of the parks as inside. It's nice to spend time away from the crowds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom