Tipping

Crackel

Leaving tomorrow for my first trip to the world. Im a little unsure about tipping. Do I tip mousekeeping and if so should I do it daily or at the end of my trip? Do I tip the DME drivers? And do I tip bell services?
Thanks in advance :)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Mousekeeping you can tip either daily or at the end of the day. The DME drivers, no. And you can tip bell services if you are in the room when they drop off the bags, but that may not always be the situation....

Upvote 0

kasey1988

We tip mouse keeping daily, I know they say you have the same mouse keeper for your stay, but when we go for 7-10 days we worry our mouse keeper may have a day off and not actually get the tip at the end of the stay and her fill in will so we leave a little somthing each day.

DME, well you can, their was actually a sign on our bus that said gratuity was accepted. We tipped a few dollars since the driver handled our bags.

Bell services, we have never been in our room when our bags are delivered so we have never experienced this.

Make sure to plan for tips as well if your on the ddp since tips are not included in the dining plan!

Upvote 0

rt06

I tip mousekeeping daily because it can be a different person each day.

Drivers, no, though we didn't have to stow any luggage.

Bellhop if I'm in the room when he drops off the luggage.

Upvote 0

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I am the world's worst tipper, but I absolutely tip Mousekeeping.
I do up the envelopes at home: fill them, date them, seal them and put a few Disney stickers on each one.
My rule of thumb is $1 per person + $1/per night. So, 3 people = $4, 4 people = $5, etc.

I am a firm believer in tipping the folks who have unfettered access to my toothbrush.

Upvote 0

luv

I've come to find that some people tip the maids and others don't. I tip them. If you want to tip them, you should do it daily, as tipping on the last day means whoever cleans that day gets all of it, even if other people did all the other days.

Skycaps, bellmen, valet people, taxi drivers, restaurant servers, room service people, pizza delivery people (or any food delivery person), bartenders, cabana attendants, hair stylists and those who perform spa services are tipped. If you ever have occasion to check your coat, the coat check person gets tipped.

Bus drivers are not generally tipped in America, but shuttle drivers (especially those who handle luggage) and tour bus drivers (especially those who make announcements during the tour) often put out tip jars. You can tip them if you want.

I think I got them all! I might have missed one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

With the caveat that I do tip, I find myself frustrated in our "tip for everything" culture. When I tip the Mousekeeper, I ask myself, "what am I actually paying for with my $200/night? The palm trees and flush able toilets?
Yeah, I tip as mousekeeping as well, but not really sure why. When I go on a business trip and stay at the Marriott, I don't tip, so I find myself wondering why is it different at Disney.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
only tip the bell hop... screw tipping housekeeping (before they serve you??) or bus drivers. They aren't tipped positions and unless they are going out of their way for you they are getting paid to do that.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

We tip anyone who handles our luggage (e.g., the Magical Express driver), $1-$2 per bag.

I realize that Mousekeeping is a "non-tipped" position, but we do tip Mousekeeping -- $1-$2 per person staying in the room ($5 for the 4 of us), per day. We leave the envelope out each day, in case we have different Mousekeepers throughout our stay.

It all adds up to about $30 for a 6-night stay -- a drop in the bucket considering the price of a WDW vacation, and a simple gesture to thank the employees who help make it pleasant.

Upvote 0

olinecoach61

We tip mouse keeping and anyone who carries our luggage. DME, bell hop, whatever. Last trip the bell hop accepted grocery items for us from garden grocers, we tipped them for that too.

Upvote 0

gjpjtj

Here is one I always wonder about. How about tipping the housekeeping staff that bring extra towels to your room, when you request them?

Upvote 0

rt06

Here is one I always wonder about. How about tipping the housekeeping staff that bring extra towels to your room, when you request them?

If it's not standard to the room, then I would tip. If someone is bringing a missing amenity, no tip. Room repairs, no, unless I'm the one that clogged the toilet :cool:

I don't tip the turndown service either.

Upvote 0

Disney Shib

The one thing i've noticed about tipping is that in some places they are not allowed to accept them. In July while drinking the world at Epcot (yes forgive me, i'm one of those adults that enjoys getting a buzz once or twice while on vacation) but anyway, anytime we tried tipping the QS beer/LQ server they told us that they couldn't accept tips and if we insisted they told us it was a waste because the money just went to Disney.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I tip 5 bucks when I get mousekeeping. We usually stay onsite 12-14 days and have mousekeeping about 10 times clean up the room...I valet park and tip $ 1 every time I leave and every time I arrive. If I have something they are getting out of the car for me and leaving at the bell desk then I give them and extra $1 and I tip the bellman who brings the package 2-5 bucks depending on like how heavy it is and how fast he gets it to my room. I tip the bellman 10 bucks when I arrive and 10 bucks when I leave. I do 15-20% on my dining tab if it isn't included using the TIW card. I do not do 18% on buffets sorry I have to force myself to do 15% on a buffet the exception would be Boma because the service is so good at AKL you want to throw money at them. I probably spend 500-700 tipping, it is a significant part of the budget for a WDW vacation... the meals alone a big chunk..I think we should eat offsite more often maybe or do more qs dining....lol

Upvote 0

SuprDav

Help me out, do you have a special envelope that you leave the tip in or leave it on the dresser? I have not tipped in the past, but willing to start to make sure we are doing the right thing.

Upvote 0

rt06

Help me out, do you have a special envelope that you leave the tip in or leave it on the dresser? I have not tipped in the past, but willing to start to make sure we are doing the right thing.

I use one of the little welcome cards they leave in the room, usually found by the sinks. A little personal message, stick the money in between, and reuse during your stay.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom