Tipping......

daveemtdave

I know this has been talked about but I need something cleared up. We are checking in on Sunday and checking out on Saturday - will we have the same person cleaning our room that entire week or different ones. If, we have different ones, how do we make sure the person who is responsible for cleaning our room gets their tip? Do you tip daily??? -- I have never tipped before, in fact, I did not even think about it until I read it here. Also, are CM's who do the tours allowed to recieve tips??? Thank you.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
crazycalf said:
While I don't know what bartenders make. Waiters/Waitress are paid below minimum wage because the resturant figures that they will be tipped to make it over min wage. and I assume that is the law with min wage.

A bartender does not always just hand you something. Some people do order mixed drinks.

Funny I thought minimum was the least you could pay, otherwise its called not quite the minimum wage.

And yes i agree slopping some coke and ice in your Jack sure warrants a tip.

Upvote 0

crazycalf

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Funny I thought minimum was the least you could pay, otherwise its called not quite the minimum wage.

That would make sense, but it is not true. It is still a min wage but tipped workers min wage is $2.13 a hour compared $5.15 a hour for non tipped employees. This is federal min wage, it varries from state to state. If you want more info you can go here http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/q-a.htm

My wife told me one time she got a paycheck for like 37 cents or something like that after taxes and people who walked out without paying.

If you don't want to tip, don't tip.

Sometimes I will tip more or less but I don't think i've ever given someone nothing.

Upvote 0

longfamily

T.I.P.S: "To insure prompt service". This was the original meaning for tips. Tips were awarded before the meal or service to make sure that the employee did a better job than they would have normally. In today's arena, tips are not only expected as part of the service but wages have been lowered making tips an important source of income.
**I bartended on Bourbon street for years and we only made $2.14 an hour. Tips were truely our paycheck after taxes were taken from our check. Just a heads up for those of you who have never worked in this type of industry.**

Should tips be required? NO. Is it a nice thing to do? Sure. It is sad that people in today's time feel obliged to give a tip. A tip should be awarded for superior service or to insure good service. If people stopped giving a "required" tip, It might actually benefit the employee because #1, the employer would be forced into raising the employees wages, and #2 We would all recieve top notch service no matter where we are, value or deluxe. They would actually have to work hard for that tip.

Disney of course is an exception because it is rare that you will be disappointed in the service that you recieve. :)

I agree that people should work in the food industry too. Every person, at the age of 16 should be required to work at McDonald's or the equivelent. Not only does it build character, but you learn a great work ethic, you learn effeciency, and you learn how to treat other people.

JMHO:)

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well I just got my May issue of Good Housekeeping. On page 33 Peggy Post has an entire article regarding tipping, being a good houseguest and hotel guest. She says that the modern "correct" tip is $2 per day at a moderate hotel and $3 to $5 in a deluxe hotel. She also says that tipping daily rather than when you check out ensures that the tip will go to the person who did the work. I thought that was rather interesting.

Side note: when we did our first grand gathering in June we ate dinner at a sit down restaurant in MGM. The service was beyond bad, the food was decent, but the service was just awful (and 4 in our group have lots of experience in food service). But because we were a group of 8 or more a 20% tip was automatically added on. Well this came to over $60 for the tip. Needless to say we spoke to the person in charge, and had the tip removed from the bill, we left what we felt was a more appropriate tip on the table. Out of 12 days this happened only the one time. But I think the waiter knew he was going to get that automatic 20% so he could concentrate more on the tables that he had to actually earn the tip off of. So please, if service is bad, politely let the person in charge know, if no one ever does this no one will ever know that improvements are needed.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I've never worked in food service, but I have worked in payroll. (years ago)

I also think that the IRS assumes that tipped employees make at least 8% of their income from tips. This amount must be reported as income.

Mousekeepers are not officially considered a tipped position like food servers are. (I think valet parking people are considered tipped as well.)

However, it is a sometimes nasty job (we had a kid who got--shall we say--a little airsick hours after the plane landed. The room did NOT smell citrus-y fresh--at least until after Mousekeeping came).

I am not a great housekeeper by nature, and I very much appreciate coming back to a clean and tidy room.

Upvote 0

jacksnightmare

What I have noticed is that when I tip the housekeeping they take a few extra minutes to make our room more magicial. The first trip I took down there I didnt tip. After that I started and everyday I would come back to room and around the sink there would be towels made into mouse ears, if we bought any plush charactors they would be in the window, we would be left a thank you note, and it was just refreshing to come back to a chilled room with a little extra magic in there. We dont tip a ton, maybe 2-3 bucks a day. When you think about it that is really nothing. What is 15 extra bucks for a week when someone has taken care of the room that you are sleeping in.

When we go to restaurants in WDW we really tip big. Since my girlfriend gets cast member discounts we get the check back with tip already added. With that tip added it is still less than what the original bill should be. We then throw a few bucks in there for them.

Upvote 0

crazycalf

According to the department of labor, tipped employees are people who are expected to make $30 a Month in tips.
People working to support themselves and their families need their tips to make up a lot more than 8% of their income.

Just think if you worked for the $2.13 wage and worked full time, assume 40 hrs a week, and didnt' get any tips, you would be bringing home $85 a week, before taxes.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Ok, so after reading all of these replies, I got to wondering, how does Disney pay their employee's? Housekeepers,waitstaff, bellhops and valets? Are they paid the tipping minimum wage of $2.13 per hour or are they paid more? Not that it really matters to me on what I will tip, I was just curious if Disney pays them or expects their wages to come from tips.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

I did a little search and the best I could come up with is that starting minimum wage for Disney workers is $6.70. This is from a news articled dated October 5th, 2004, during the last round of contract negotiations. However, I have not been able to find a breakdown for the various job classifications. I'm sure one of our annonymous CMs could help us out.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well $6.70 is no fortune, but I feel a bit better knowing that they get at least that much, plus tips. so even if some fail to tip or to tip well, they don't go home dirt poor. 3 tables leaving $2 each would put you at 12.70 and I am sure most cover more than 3 tables and most would leave more than $2 I did that just as a example mind you.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Well, I think the hourly wage for wait staff is lower than the average wage of other employees because they're in a job classification where they could potentially earn money via tips. My friends who worked in the service industry told me this was their experience. Low hourly wage with the hope you make up for it via tips. Where you get in trouble, I would think, is when people don't tip, or under tip, or if there's a slump in business. Then you're in trouble. I don't think it's unsual for waitpersons to work at several different restaurants or working more shifts to make up for a decrease.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

daveemtdave said:
Do the employees report their tips to Disney?? If not, how do they pay their taxes on this??

Well, as a court reporter, I'm kinda sort of in the same boat as people who get tips in the sense that I make money from my transcripts. It's an additional non-taxed form of income. And my accountant fills out for me four vouchers for the year where I prepay my taxes for the year based on what I made the year before. I think, and I could be wrong, this is the same for people who make a good deal of their income via tips. I believe they're supposed to file quarterly or pay at the end of the year with penalties.

Upvote 0

meatloafsfan

jacksnightmare said:
What I have noticed is that when I tip the housekeeping they take a few extra minutes to make our room more magicial.

I agree. In Feb I left the mousekeeper a small gift (usually chocolates or tea with a small stuffed animal) that I had made up at home and put in a roll of nickels (my uncle works for a pop company and whenever he clears a pop machine he pulls all the u.s. coins and replaces them with Canadian money which in turn I purchased off of him).

Long story short.....I got flowers from my mousekeeper one day. It was a very nice bouquet which had been gathered from the flowers outside the hotel and left in a tall glass. Very special and I guess Connie really enjoyed my little gifts and notes.

Upvote 0

crazycalf

daveemtdave said:
Do the employees report their tips to Disney?? If not, how do they pay their taxes on this??

I do not know about disney tipable positions but at other resturants, tips are reported at the end of the night to the manager, who then would send it to the IRS at the end of the year as income. Now it would be up to the individual to tell the truth about how much they acutally made in tips though, only credit card tips can be kept track of by the business, cash would have to be on the honor system.
Also, some places the waiter/waitress has to give a percent of tips to a bus boy, food runner or bartender. I don't know if disney does this though.

Upvote 0

jacksnightmare

The workers that get the tips are probably making more money an hour than the cast members that are working in the stores. I dont think that anyone has mentioned it yet but the cm's working in any store or fast food are making 6.50-6.70 an hour and they dont get tips. So full service restaurant cm's are probably coming home with a ton of money from tips, as well as the cm's that hold baggage, housekeeping, as well as anyone else that gets tipped.

Upvote 0

doejeff

I have to try & put myself in the position of the mousekeeping staff & think about them cleaning bathrooms ALL Day!! I know that's their job but I know
I would not want to do that for any kind of $$$. On our next trip we will be
leaving $5.00 daily. I hope they all deserve that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom