Tipping The Disney Characters

wdwfan22

No I don’t tip the character or give them gifts/cards. I don’t see the point in this. They are park entertainment included in park admission. I have seen Guest try and give them things and I’m sorry that’s just weird. Especially when it’s an adult doing it.

SirWillow

You can not "tip" the characters. That's also true of cast members in general (except those in "tippable" positions, like restaurant wait staff, bellhops, etc.) To accept a cash tip can get them in trouble or fired.

However, you can gift them with things other than cash. Small inexpensive items are generally best- pins, candy, thank you notes, plush animals, and things like that. Even better if it's something that can tie into the character's stories. When I visit characters now I try to bring along the boxes of candy you can get at the store with a thank you note attached to it thanking them for helping to make the magic. It's a really nice touch, and you can get some fantastic responses from it.

I talk about just that in a video called "Favorite Tricks for Awesome Character Interactions" I also have one called "Better than a cash tip" that talks about other great ways to thank cast members. And don't forget to give them a shout out thank you on Twitter with who, what, where and when and tag @WDWToday and #castcompliment this is true for all cast members and they'll pass on a thank you to them.

Gooft707

I do not believe that is allowed.
You can give them gifts worth up to a certain dollar amount but handing them cash?
No.
Yes, we are never allowed to accept tips, it will always be refused. And we can accept gifts as long as it is a small value. Gifts are the absolute best! I have received many gifts from people, one gift actually made me cry while out on set, very difficult to cry and perform with Goofy at the same time lol
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

JustAFan

Hello, I am a performer for Disney World! (I hang out with Goofy a lot, if you know what I mean)
Yes, we are never allowed to accept tips, it will always be refused. And we can accept gifts as long as it is a small value. Gifts are the absolute best! I have received many gifts from people, one gift actually made me cry while out on set, very difficult to cry and perform with Goofy at the same time lol
Hope this helps!
I wonder if I've ever taken a picture with you ... uh, your friend. :)

Hank Hill

I offered Darth Varer $20 to force choke my friend. Whoever was doing the voice was good, I think he said "you don't know the power of the dark side". It was hilarious.

Jon81uk

I have noticed a new trend where some over-the-counter food places (not Disney) now have a tip jar. Sorry, I don't tip them.

I think its fairly common for Starbucks and similar to have a tip jar? I don't think many people do tip at that sort of place so you are probably in the "norm" some just leave their change/pennies I think.

jloucks

In their garter belts.

latest

Duh.

That would likely go... badly. :p

SirWillow

Just give it to character attendant that is with the character so they can both split the gratuity to help pay for next month's rent.

It's been said before, but apparently needs to be said again...

Cast members can NOT accept a cash tip. Doing so can get them fired. If someone is insistent on it, then have to say no at least 3 times, and if it's still forced on them they are supposed to turn it into management. To do otherwise can cost them their job.

They can however accept small gifts- artwork, plush, candy, cards and notes, hand crafted items, etc.

Lilofan

Seems like tipping characters may get the characters sent to the gallows, but I'm sure waiters, bellman, housekeeping, guest services, tour guides to name a few should be rewarded with tips for a job well done.

SirWillow

Seems like tipping characters may get the characters sent to the gallows, but I'm sure waiters, bellman, housekeeping, guest services, tour guides to name a few should be rewarded with tips for a job well done.

Waiters, bellmen, and housekeeping, yes. guest services and tour guides, no.

Generally any cast member in a position where a tip isn't expected every time (like those 3) are not allowed to accept cash tips. About the only other cast I can think of that might be allowed beyond those 3 are the "minnie coupe" lyft drivers. Outside of that, I can't think of any others that would be allowed.

Phonedave

I think its fairly common for Starbucks and similar to have a tip jar? I don't think many people do tip at that sort of place so you are probably in the "norm" some just leave their change/pennies I think.

My daughter in college works in a Starbucks, but she works in a Starbucks in a Target, so that makes her a Target employee (even though she did the Starbucks training, makes all the Starbucks drinks, and wears the Starbucks apron/hat)

Target employees are not allowed to accept tips, so they do not have a tip jar at her store. She said she gets at least a handfull up people each shift that look for a tip jar, and when they don't see one, try to hand her tips.I guess people do tip at Starbucks.

EOD K9

Hello, I am a performer for Disney World! (I hang out with Goofy a lot, if you know what I mean)
Hope this helps!
I met Bill Farmer once.....is that what you mean? Are you he? 😉. Anyways, can you give us an idea of what’s accepted? Thanks in advance.

SirWillow

Anyways, can you give us an idea of what’s accepted? Thanks in advance.

From post above (I'm a former cast member who worked with the characters as well)
However, you can gift them with things other than cash. Small inexpensive items are generally best- pins, candy, thank you notes, plush animals, and things like that. Even better if it's something that can tie into the character's stories. When I visit characters now I try to bring along the boxes of candy you can get at the store with a thank you note attached to it thanking them for helping to make the magic. It's a really nice touch, and you can get some fantastic responses from it.

I talk about just that in a video called "Favorite Tricks for Awesome Character Interactions" I also have one called "Better than a cash tip" that talks about other great ways to thank cast members. And don't forget to give them a shout out thank you on Twitter with who, what, where and when and tag @WDWToday and #castcompliment this is true for all cast members and they'll pass on a thank you to them.

Goofyernmost

They'd have to hand it to the character attendant. I'm fairly certain tipping a costumed character is frowned upon.
I understood that tipping any front line CM's was discouraged and that it was forbidden for them to take a tip. I don't get out much, so has that rule changed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom