Tipping on European cruises

Riburn3

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Just had a question about how you all did tipping on European cruises that stop in destinations with varying currencies. On most carribean cruises it seems like USD are always requested for tips on excursions, but we are taking a cruise that ships out from Dover, England, and goes to Denmark and Norway. All three countries using a different currency.

Do people tip ground crew in pound sterling? Similarly, in Norway and Denmark I would imagine tipping on excursions in kroner and Euro is standard. Are ATMs available near where the ship docks to make this happen or will the ship offer currency exchanges (at fair rates) before you hop off?

The only other cruises I have done abroad are in Asia or in the Mediterranean. In SE Asia, everyone is more than willing to take dollars on excursions and on Mediterranean cruises the usual port countries all share a common currency so it's easier to plan to have some Euro on me before I ever leave home. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ChuckElias

We tipped mostly in dollars on our Baltic cruise. We stayed in London for a couple days before the cruise, so we had pounds, and we did exchange for some kroner, but we didn't change currency or use an ATM at every port.

JenTen1585

I did the Norwegian Fjord cruise and ordered Danish krones (for Copenhagen) and Norweigian krones (for Norway) ahead of my cruise from my local bank. I don't know where the exchange rate is best, I just always feel better going to a country with their currency in my pocket. I used it for tips, souvenirs and drink/food. We always tip the tour guide on port adventures about 3-5 dollars American equivalent for the three of us. I'm doing the British Isles Cruise on the Magic in July and I already have my pounds and euros.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom