tipping on dining plan

pollyannap

Original Poster
what's the rule of thumb for tipping when I am getting the free dining plan promo? still a percentage of whatever entree same as always? I assume that we won't get a bill at the end of the meal (or do we?) I want to be sure to have enough small bills and if i need to keep track of what we are ordering. What's the best way to handle this?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
On DDP you get a "pre-bill" that indicates the value of your meal and shows what an 18% and a 20% tip would be. It provides a space to fill in a voluntary tip and then they take your card and debit the credits for the meal and charge the tip you indicate to your room. Should you wish to leave a cash tip instead, you can do so, just make sure to total your bill without the tip on the copy you sign so they don't charge a second tip to your room [I've never had them do that, but there was a thread where someone warned that it had happened to them].

KristieLC

Assuming you have good service I would say 20% of what the bill would have been if you were paying, and maybe even a little more if it was exceptional. I know that when we go places where items are discounted or free, I tip slightly more and I am still saving money.

Lucky

We were always pretty close to the 18% suggested amount. One case we accidentally tipped more like 25%, but fortunately it was for one of the best servers we've ever had at WDW (Jesse at LeCellier).

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
What I do is just go $5 per person. Ive only gone with one other person last 2 trips but this time Im going with 3 other people.

As long as I am not thirsty and have to ask for drinks that is. If I have to say I want another drink that ruins it. You can do anything you want, slap me, be rude, get orders wrong...as long as I am not thirsty Ill tip well.

I know alot of people think wait staff gets too much money because of all the tables but they split tips with hosts, busers, and god knows who else. I dont care about his/her other tables I care about what goes on at mine.

KristieLC

As long as I am not thirsty and have to ask for drinks that is. If I have to say I want another drink that ruins it. You can do anything you want, slap me, be rude, get orders wrong...as long as I am not thirsty Ill tip well.

My husband feels the same way! He calls it the Coke test.

Rob562

On DDP you get a "pre-bill" that indicates the value of your meal and shows what an 18% and a 20% tip would be. It provides a space to fill in a voluntary tip and then they take your card and debit the credits for the meal and charge the tip you indicate to your room. Should you wish to leave a cash tip instead, you can do so, just make sure to total your bill without the tip on the copy you sign so they don't charge a second tip to your room [I've never had them do that, but there was a thread where someone warned that it had happened to them].

If you're leaving a cash tip, I'd suggest that on the tip line you write "CASH" and then either carry the total down to the Total line (or I guess write "$0.00" if it's a meal on the Dining Plan).

(In my mind, I like to think that it also indicates to the server when they take the slip back that you're not stiffing them on a tip, and that they can expect the cash on the table...)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom