Tipping for Mousekeeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghostdog

Original Poster
Typically we don’t have Mousekeeping come in and service our room during our resort stays; we just ask for extra sets of towels and additional toiletries on our check in day. We empty the trash daily, make our own beds and keep the room picked up as if we were at home. This is our first deluxe resort stay in a LONG time so we decided to let Mousekeeping come in and take care of the room for us. What is the standard amount given for daily tipping?

Weather_Lady

I believe a standard tip is $1-$2 per person, per night.

Like you, we pick up after ourselves and keep the room tidy (and we also reuse towels), so Mousekeeping is just making the beds and emptying the wastebasket. We tip Mousekeeping $5 per day, and then $10 on the last day, when the room has to be "turned over" for the next guests.

If you're staying in a larger accommodation (e.g., a DVC suite, etc.) with more square footage to clean and more items to refresh, you may want to tip a little more, as you deem appropriate.

Ghostdog

Original Poster
I believe a standard tip is $1-$2 per person, per night.

Like you, we pick up after ourselves and keep the room tidy (and we also reuse towels), so Mousekeeping is just making the beds and emptying the wastebasket. We tip Mousekeeping $5 per day, and then $10 on the last day, when the room has to be "turned over" for the next guests.

If you're staying in a larger accommodation (e.g., a DVC suite, etc.) with more square footage to clean and more items to refresh, you may want to tip a little more, as you deem appropriate.

Thanks! Much appreciated response.

Dave B

I am just curious, this is their job, why are we tipping mousekeeping? Do they make a reduced salary, like a server? I am unaware. We do not have mousekeeping, we clean up after ourselves and get new towels everyday from the carts, so this is new to me. We were robbed my housekeeping in another hotel years ago, so we no longer have them enter the room

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I typically go $5 a day but there doesn't seem to be a standard. I also plan on making cute "Thank you" envelopes I found on Pinterest. lol My chance at getting crafty!

Weather_Lady

I am just curious, this is their job, why are we tipping mousekeeping? Do they make a reduced salary, like a server?

Housekeepers at WDW are paid about $9/hour, which is on par with the national average for hotel cleaning staff. For someone doing it full-time 50 weeks a year, they'll make less than $19,000/year, before taxes.

In contrast, leaving a daily tip costs me less than the price of a Dole Whip float. It's not required, but it's a nice thing to do.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

image.jpeg

breesus

We have always tipped mouse keeping, but 2 years ago, I was actually moved by the individual who received our tips the first 4 days of our stay. We had returned to our room at YC for an afternoon of rest and resort enjoyment. We had just closed the door when there was a knock. I opened the door to be greeted by mouse keeping. This lady explained she was not working the next few days and wanted to personally thank my wife and I for our generosity. She was extremely sincere and actually made my wife tear up. It reinforced what I have always taught my children is that giving we always come back to reward you in one way or another. The lady rewarded us with her gratitude and the idea we made her week.

Disneyfreak Jen

We leave $2.50/pp per day. We are also neat and try to keep things tidy.
I tip every day, not just once at the beginning or end of the trip...you may not have the same Mousekeeper every day.

eliza61nyc

I generally tip 5 bucks a day. In general I tip anyone who provides a service for me, from my hairdresser (who I know makes a fabulous salary) to the bell hop, to my uber driver. No it is not mandatory. lol but I do a lot of things that are not mandatory.

lol, I start out neat but by the end of the week, it's a free for all.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
We tip, but the last time we stayed we erred in our tipping, we waited until the last day and provided a large tip. We hadn't realized there would be different house keepers.

John park hopper

We don't tip mouse keeping my wife is a neat freak and makes the bed and straightens the room before we go to the parks. When DW gets done not much mouse keeping needs to do. Joke with her she needs to get a job with Disney

Last edited:

Disney4family

We don't tip mouse keeping my wife is a neat freak and makes the bed and straightens the room before we go to the parks. When DW gets done not much mouse keeping needs to do. Joke with her she needs to get a job with Disney
My husband will join her, but he'll be outside. All he does is clean up everyone's garbage when we're there, mumbling "not in my house".

Bartledvd

We tip Mousekeeping Daily between fifteen and twenty dollars a day depending on if its the six of us or eight if my parents join us,
Even though we know they earn a better basic wage than servers we feel they work harder for the money we give taking a few plates and bringing us drinks and getting twenty percent of our meal cost and the other dozen tables they look after at the same time vs cleaning a two or three bedroom apartment earning nine or so dollars an hour plus few extra in tips. Servers never really bothered about tip its expected and rarely they seem remotely thankfull even when they are pocketing over a hundred bucks before tax ect.. for looking after us for an hour.
Every trip the mousekeepers are really polite and grateful for any tip the recive. Outside of Disney servers a very thankfull and often say that there tip is to much and ask are we sure.

Thanks, I too was thinking of making cute envelopes.

My wife likes to do this also and brings some treats like chocolates or other treats from the uk to give out daily.

Denise. W

Just make sure you title your envelopes "Housekeeping" and not "Mousekeeping". That is a name invented on the internet (Disney does not use it) and as many housekeepers do not speak English well, they may leave the envelope with the made up word on it.
Denise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom