Tipping Etiquette

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
I've never been in a taxi in my life. I've researched through the Mears site approximately how much fares will cost to get from CBR to theme parks outside of Disney & a quick trip to Walmart, however, I don't know how much it is customary to tip the driver. There would be no luggage involved, just us.

Is it a certain percentage of the fare? Is it based on how many people(4)? Is it just a estimated figure?

Also, for a quick trip to Walmart for supplies, is it out of line to ask the driver to wait or do I just arrange a pick up time with him when he drops me off?

Thank you! I am learning so much from these forums. :)

NeverEnufDisney

I don't know the official etiquette, but I usually give the driver a $5. Many don't give anything at all and I think that stinks! Those drivers get us there safely and haul luggage all day or night.

snesguy

The usual etiquette is a percentage of the fare. When I traveled to New York a couple of years ago they have fitted their cabs with credit card payment systems and when you pay with CC you can select (only) three tipping options, I may have these off by 5%, but IIRC it was 10%, 15%, or 20%. If the fare is really low (less than $5-$10) I at least tip a couple of bucks minimum. When I had a short city cab trip in NY and even with the CC payment screen 20% was about $1 I gave the driver a couple of extra bucks in cash.

I tend to overtip. If you tip too much they remember you and hopefully you'll get good service next time. If you tip too little they won't be happy.

I just searched online for tipping guide and came up with this: http://www.itipping.com/tip-guide-travel.htm

It says 15-20% of the bill for Taxis and Limos.

Note that this is based on the total fare, not per person. Usually Taxi fares are per cab, not per person. In some cities (New York at least) it is illegal for a Taxi to charge per person.

If you are in a Taxi, it probably has a meter that computes the fare as you drive. When you get to your destination you pay the fare shown on the meter in the Taxi plus a tip.

Taxi fares are set by the local government, usually city. Most of them these days have a drop charge (minimum fare for you to ride for even a short trip), plus a rate for miles traveled, plus a fee for stopping too long (so if the driver has to wait in stop and go traffic or sit at long stoplights you may rack up fees even though you are not moving). All these are computed by the taxi meter in the taxi. When you get into the Taxi the driver "drops" the flag on the meter and starts charging you. When you arrive, he stops the meter and you pay the fare the meter computed during your trip (you can watch your fare increase as you drive on the meter) plus your tip.

UPbeekeeper

Original Poster
UPbeekeeper...as in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan? Ahhh...I'm a Troll, but my heart is in the UP...

Yep, Penny. Upper Peninsula. Can't claim to be an actual Yooper though, as I've only been here for 6 years. I'm an East Coast transplant, but I know I'll never leave this place. You are right...once this place gets a hold of your heart, it's hard to let it go.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For the waiting at the store - you can ask the taxi just to wait for you. Be aware, you are on the clock. The taxis have a 'per mile' and a 'per minute' rate. The 'per minute' rate is normally something like 'X per 10 minutes' or similar and is charged if the taxi is going too slow, or simply waiting. The taxi driver doesn't mind at all.

For tipping - most tip a few bucks. I tend to tip whatever rounds up the fare a bit. So lets say the fare is $25, I'd probably give them $5. Usually I tip about $4-$8 depending on the length, etc. For most rides, it's more like $4-5.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom