Tip to avoid alot of luggage

disneydiva72

Original Poster
To avoid bringing too much luggage (because so many airlines are charging for suitcases) I have been packing for HALF a trip, if its a 8 day trip, I pack for 4 days so this way my husband and I can share a large suitcase, my kids can also share a suitcase....then half way though the trip I take 2 hours one night before bed and go to the hotel laundry and do a wash....whats nice at the Poly is that the laundry is right by the quiet pool, so we put a wash on and then go swimming, it makes for a nice relaxing night. :)

Kelsybelle

You are so right! We packed this way for our last trip in April. I have such a problem with packing because I always pack way to much stuff! It can be such a dilema but with the right kind of planning it can be done! I always pack waaaaayyyy too many shoes and they take up tons of room and they make your suitcase really heavy.
It is so great the resorts have great laundry facilities. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. I did laundry on our last visit one afternoon while my daughter napped after a busy morning of running around the M.K. My husband relaxed and read the paper. I started a load and took a sea racer out and buzzed around the lake for an hour, then threw everything in the dryer and laid out by the pool and had a cocktail, definatley much needed me time! It was so nice to come back to the room with clean laundry and a rested family!

tigsmom

I never pack for more than 4 days (thats 5 days with the clothes I am wearing to travel). If you roll your clothes you can fit a lot more in the suitcase. Many people over pack and then don't use half of what they take. WDW hotels have laundry facilities, just make sure you have enough change and don't overload the dryers. :lookaroun

We bought these Click here , they have a bottom compartment also that you can carry shoes &/or clothes in and plenty of room inside as well as pockets on the outside. They hold a ton!

DAKOTADISNEY

We have always washed clothes midway into our week long trip. We also have shared suitcases, especially when the girls were small. Now with the luggage fee we will try to pack even lighter. Washing clothes at the resorts has worked pretty well for us. It can get a little spendy but still cheaper than taking another suitcase.

thevader1376

We actually shipped most of our clothes in boxes via UPS last time we went. We took enough clothes for a day and most of our toiletries in a smaller suitcase on the plane and shipped the rest. It costs a little more but it's pretty convenient and this way you don't have to haul them to the airport at all, and when your trip is done you simply schedule a pickup with UPS at your resort.

It's pretty simple. the only hitch we had was that we were staying in WL on our last trip and they sent our clothes to Fort Wilderness on accident, so we had a bit of trouble finding the boxes the first day, but other than that, it was a breeze!

macsmom

Okay, I have sort of a dumb question. When you ship something to yourself at the resorts, whether snacks or clothes, how do you address the box? Besides your name, etc., do you put on the box that you are a guest? Is this done so often that disney will look your name up in the computer and see that you are arriving so and do date and hold it for you? Thanks.

danna

thevader1376

We simply just called ahead of time told them it was coming and they should hold it for you behind the front desk. If I'm forgetting something I'm sure when you call the resort itself they should be able to tell everything you need to put on the package to ensure delivery.

Fashionista007

Does anyone know where the coin laundry facilities are at the Grand Floridian? I've never done laundry at a Disney resort (mainly b/c we've never stayed over 4 nights). We're staying 6 nights this time so I'm definitely going to have do do laundry at least once.

Rob562

Does anyone know where the coin laundry facilities are at the Grand Floridian? I've never done laundry at a Disney resort (mainly b/c we've never stayed over 4 nights). We're staying 6 nights this time so I'm definitely going to have do do laundry at least once.

I believe there's a laundry room in each Guest building. Signs in the building should point the way.

-Rob

CAPTAIN HOOK

Just take what you're wearing - wash it over night in your bath, hang up to dry and its ready for wearing again - Saves on laundry costs as well :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

:hammer:

djpoore94

Okay, I have sort of a dumb question. When you ship something to yourself at the resorts, whether snacks or clothes, how do you address the box? Besides your name, etc., do you put on the box that you are a guest? Is this done so often that disney will look your name up in the computer and see that you are arriving so and do date and hold it for you? Thanks.

danna

We ship meeting materials for our various meetings and events this way. We simply put Hold For Guest "Your First & Last Name" and then the complete name and address of the resort you are staying at. We usually do two day delivery for our stuff so we know it will arrive on the day we need it to, ground can be anywhere from 2 - 7 days depending on the distance you are shipping.

Jenna

We always go to Florida for 3 weeks and it's just not practical for 5 people to pack 3 weeks worth of clothes. We manage to take two suitcases between us and pack for about a week at most (although we do bring atleast 3 empty suitcases with us which we fill up with souvenirs, clothes etc) . We usually stay in a villa so my mum just washes our clothes and we usually buy more shorts and t-shirts from the florida mall, premium outlets etc!

To avoid bringing too much luggage (because so many airlines are charging for suitcases) I have been packing for HALF a trip, if its a 8 day trip, I pack for 4 days so this way my husband and I can share a large suitcase, my kids can also share a suitcase....then half way though the trip I take 2 hours one night before bed and go to the hotel laundry and do a wash....whats nice at the Poly is that the laundry is right by the quiet pool, so we put a wash on and then go swimming, it makes for a nice relaxing night. :)

I have sometimes packed this way and it worked, but on our trip two weeks ago I ran into something I never saw before: a packed laundry room! I thought I was smart to go later in the evening (10:00), and there was literally a line out the door at the Poly laundry room. I didn't finish my two loads of wash until 1:00 a.m. There was even a fight between two women who got into it because one emptied the other's washer after waiting 20 minutes for her to return. It was crazy! Next time, I'll probably send a package ahead or just pack more hand-washable items!

Note: if you plan to do laundry, here are some tips:
1. Take travel-size detergent, or bring some powdered detergent in zipper bags
2. Same goes for dryer sheets
3. Bring quarters or just keep a cup of them from your trip; the change machines don't always work ($2 wash/$2 dry)
4. To get out of the laundry room faster, plan to use three dryers for two loads of wash if possible--the clothes dry much faster this way. (I find that a large load will not always dry in one dryer cycle, anyway.)

Another suggestion: I saw those roll-up travel space bags at Dollar Tree for--you guessed it!--a dollar! These actually work great, especially if you are packing sweatshirts/pants for the upcoming winter season!

disneydiva72

Original Poster
Another suggestion: I saw those roll-up travel space bags at Dollar Tree for--you guessed it!--a dollar! These actually work great, especially if you are packing sweatshirts/pants for the upcoming winter season!

Wanna know what works just as well as space bags? Hefty one zips, the largest bags you can find, they are like 3.00 for about 10 of them. They honestly work just as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom