Time to upgrade to moderates suggestions?

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just got home tonight after the long drive home. Ill start piecing together photos and a possible trip report tomorrow. If anything comes to mind, my wife and I decided it's time to graduate from values to moderates. What are the best options price wise and bang for your buck and quality?

PoppinsFan

We love Riverside! We're staying at French Quarter for the first time in May. One of our favorite things at Riverside is the boat ride to Disney Springs. The food court is great, and if you choose to stay at Riverside you have to go see Yee Haw Bob. He puts on a great show!

Mainahman

Original Poster
Port Orleans French Quarter . . . In a word: beignets.
So your saying I can get my favorite treat in France without actually walking all the way to France!?!? I may be in love. It's only like 30 dollars total for the entire trip.

Now what should I expect from crowd levels compared to POP and bus services? That was put only down from this past trip. POP was overly crowded, and couldn't keep up with busses. Also considering going for the same amount t of days but creating a resort / Disney springs day. Mostly we're looking for a bit more relaxing g experience from the resort and transportation. Can't quite swing a monorail resort quite yet, so moderates seem the best step up.

Gainesvillain

So your saying I can get my favorite treat in France without actually walking all the way to France!?!? I may be in love. It's only like 30 dollars total for the entire trip.

Now what should I expect from crowd levels compared to POP and bus services? That was put only down from this past trip. POP was overly crowded, and couldn't keep up with busses. Also considering going for the same amount t of days but creating a resort / Disney springs day. Mostly we're looking for a bit more relaxing g experience from the resort and transportation. Can't quite swing a monorail resort quite yet, so moderates seem the best step up.

Never had any trouble (long waits, overcrowded, etc) with buses, something that is not always true at Coronado, and POR has a very relaxed vibe and rarely feels crowded, like most of the value resorts. We have stayed in both Coronado and Carib Beach resorts as well, and love the theming of all 3, but POR is our go to.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Wife seems to be leaning twords carribean beach and port Orleans Riverside. We love POP but this last trip was really hard with all the groups and such at POP that they were struggling to keep enough busses running to meet demand. Plus where it will just be the 2 of us now, it's really the same vacation cost, and we get a bigger room, and less crowded resort. Caribbean beach seems to be a bit cheaper than the rest so I'm not sure. September 2019 is still a ways off, but trying to at least decide on a hotel now.

Mainahman

Original Poster
Riverside my wife feels like it looks stuffy, but liked french quarter. The fact that they have carriage rides, and our next trip would be our 10 year wedding anniversary is a huge plus! I hear it feels smaller than other mods? I like that idea. Long walks to the bus are never fun

mf1972

we’ve stayed at FQ twice & will be staying there again this november. it is a much smaller, compact resort compared to riverside. everything is within easy walking distance.
if you’re concerned about the buses, FQ was more organized from our first visit there. the resort is going through a room renovation that should be finished in a few months.
we did take a walk to riverside & it’s a very nice looking resort as well. more spread out. hope some of this helps.

Mainahman

Original Poster
French quarter seems like the best option. We wouldn't be visiting again until September of 2019 for our 10th wedding anniversary so refurb should hopefully be done. We're after something a bit more quiet and less crowded mostly.

Demeter Tess

Riverside is my favourite resort on property, and we've stayed at almost all of them. (Well, technically we've stayed at 15 of them. We're getting there!) It is spacious, blissfully serene, and everything the Value resorts aren't. I highly recommend staying in one of the Magnolia Bend mansions. Great food court, but if you're looking for even more options (or fresh, piping hot beignets!) you can stroll down the river to French Quarter. The boat ride to Disney Spring is also one of our favourite "attractions!"

We also enjoy Coronado Springs whenever Riverside is booked. The rooms are a bit more luxurious (they feel more like a deluxe than a moderate, I think) and the resort is gorgeous. We simply prefer the scenery and location of Riverside.

- Lauren

Mainahman

Original Poster
Coronado and carribean were both options we we're toying with as well. I don't know if it's normal, but carribean beach was the cheapest in the fleet.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Another vote for POR. We've stayed at Caribbean Beach, but it just wasn't as nice as POR. Magnolia Bend is lovely, definitely request that area.

Another consideration is that both Coronado and Caribbean Beach are in the midst of large construction projects, so room inventory is reduced.

hanwill

I have stayed at Riverside, FQ, Coronado recently, and a long time ago Carribean Beach... SO, discount the last one because it has been a really long time...I would suggest any of these three... personal fave is FQ because I like the small size and one bus stop (early in the mornings and at night)(during the day it can share with riverside) I love the quaintness of the resort, the boat ride and the clip clop of the horses... Riverside is just as nice, but a different theme, much more spread out-much.... Love Coronado (again huge) but there il construction going on there. It should not interfere with you too much- but just know its happening... It's a relaxing resort with the lake and its beautiful in the morning.... You really can't go wrong with any of them...

Starlight67

Here's another vote for POFQ!

-Smaller size, short walk to the (one) bus stop and food court
-Boat to Disney Springs
-Short, enjoyable walk along the river to Riverside
-Can use all the amenities at Riverside (also: Riverside has a table service restaurant, FQ does not.)
-Really pretty grounds and landscaping

Mainahman

Original Poster
I really am liking FQ. It seems to be just what we're looking for. A little bit less crazy. After 2 stays at POP, it felt last trip like we had out grown it a d are I search for a less hectic resort stay.

Amos1784

Just got home tonight after the long drive home. Ill start piecing together photos and a possible trip report tomorrow. If anything comes to mind, my wife and I decided it's time to graduate from values to moderates. What are the best options price wise and bang for your buck and quality?

I would really look into renting DVC points and making the jump to Deluxe's. If you can rent points for a studio you will pay about the same prices as a Moderate. If your looking moderate though however I would highly suggest French Quarter, great pool, boat access to Disney Springs, and it is beautiful and quiet!

I do not suggest Coronado (one resort we would not return) and would not currently suggest Caribbean Beach just due to construction, it really is a mess, once construction is done and gondolas are in place however it should again be a great resort.

BoarderPhreak

I've stayed at POR but not POFQ - but those resorts (as a whole) get my nod. Best theming, grounds, amenities, value, yada yada.

Short term; both CBR and CSR are undergoing construction. The former is rather impacting while the latter is not and both at least have a decent discount to make up for it... But I wouldn't even consider CBR until the dust settles.

You might also consider the Swan/Dolphin. For a price similar to the Moderate you get Deluxe accommodations (minus the theming).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Coronado and carribean were both options we we're toying with as well. I don't know if it's normal, but carribean beach was the cheapest in the fleet.
There is a reason for this.

I would honestly stay at a value before putting down the money to stay at Caribbean Beach. The resort is very spread out...more so than even Coronado, transportation is not good and the dining and entertainment options are just plain meh.

BoarderPhreak

There is a reason for this.

I would honestly stay at a value before putting down the money to stay at Caribbean Beach. The resort is very spread out...more so than even Coronado, transportation is not good and the dining and entertainment options are just plain meh.
Definitely. Not to mention that right now, the main building and everything around it is in shambles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom