Time Racers

What do you think "Time Racers" will be?

• Coaster

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Simulation

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Moving Theater with Movie

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Something Else

Votes: 24 47.1%

• Total voters

WDWfan2209

Original Poster
Does anyone have any info or have found any site about anything involving Microsoft and Disney together? I mean like talking about Micrsoft's plans with Disney? This could help or give a hint of whats to come. -WDWfan2209

General Grizz

We ran by 'Guest Relations' at EPCOT - our host was VERY surprised to hear that we knew that something was going to change in Spaceship Earth. He couldn't give us any information, but the news showed that it will be using "movie screens." One of my students saw the news and told me about it. We'll just have to see! :lookaroun :veryconfu :(

WDWfan2209

Original Poster
Now we have to think, what will Microsoft and Disney do with giant movie screens? Possible 360 movie? It will be awesome considering how big SE is! :)

ThePhantom

Although I shudder at the thought of SE being re-done (a re-do of the current version would be nice), I do think that EPCOT needs another thrill ride. I'm not saying it has to be a coaster, although I'd like to see a coaster of somesort at Epcot. I know it sounds odd, but that structure is easily big enough to house a "Soarin" ride system. They could use the bottom half of the sphere for a queue and preshow, and the top half for the ride itself. Of course, this would require a big hole in the sphere to intall, and I'm sure they don't want that...

Since it is EPCOT, I'm sure they'll come up with something innovative.

Mookie

Originally posted by WDWfan2209
Does anyone have any info or have found any site about anything involving Microsoft and Disney together? I mean like talking about Micrsoft's plans with Disney? This could help or give a hint of whats to come. -WDWfan2209

Isn't Mission: Space sponsored by Compaq / HP? Wouldn't that agreement preclude Disney from working with Microsoft on another attraction?

niteobsrvr

Re: Re: Time Racers

Originally posted by Mookie
Isn't Mission: Space sponsored by Compaq / HP? Wouldn't that agreement preclude Disney from working with Microsoft on another attraction?

That would be bad business for HP/Compaq to preclude their biggest supplier from participating in a pavilion at the park?

Pioneer Hall

Re: Re: Time Racers

Originally posted by Mookie

Microsoft and HP/Compaq are entirely different companies. Microsoft is a software creator. They don't produce computers. HP/Compaq makes computers...not the software for them (this is why all your computers have Microsoft Windows on them).

CThaddeus

Leave my Spaceship Earth alone!

So they've really decided to kill the last of the original great audio-animatronic attractions in Epcot? It figures. When I first visited in 1996, I fell in love with Future World precisely because of all the audio-animatronic attractions - Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, Spaceship Earth and, though I never got to go on it (because it was replaced with that Test Track mess) World of Motion. Now, in an effort to alienate the true Disney fans and cater to the Knotts' Berry Farm/Islands of Adventure cheap thrill junkies another grand attraction is going to get the boot and something fast (and probably cheap) will take its place. I can only hope they'll lavish a good deal of attention on it, especially since it is the centerpiece of the park (though this wasn't the case with Grizzly River Rapids at California Adventure...), but I'm not holding my breath. And just what are they going to call the building itself, now? The Time Chasers Ball? How lame. Spaceship Earth sounds much more dignified. But then again, diginity and speed rides don't often mix. Long live Spaceship Earth!

SamatBCV

Re: Re: Re: Time Racers

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
Microsoft and HP/Compaq are entirely different companies. Microsoft is a software creator. They don't produce computers. HP/Compaq makes computers...not the software for them (this is why all your computers have Microsoft Windows on them).

Right, they're not competitors and in fact have some partnering programs.

kayarei

Originally posted by WDWfan2209

Microsoft has teamed up with Disney to launch MSN 8. Although there have been no talks about sponsoring an attraction (that I've heard), some feel that MS might want to take AT&T's place once their contract is up. I have heard nothing concrete about a MS sponsored attraction, but the fact that MS and Disney are working together now could mean bigger things down the road.

Here are some links to articles about Disney and MS concerning MSN 8:

http://www.idg.net/idgns/2002/10/24/MicrosoftDisneyTeamAsMSN8.shtml

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Oct02/10-24MSN8DisneyPR.asp

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/825432.asp

http://marketwatch-cnet.com.com/2100-1023-963222.html

WDWfan2209

Original Poster
[And just what are they going to call the building itself, now? The Time Chasers Ball? How lame.] - CThaddeus

- I think they would keep the name spaceship earth just have a ride with a different name.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
I'm so SICK of every Epcot thread having someone post "Epcot needs another thrill ride"!!!!! Can we get off of this? Has our society turned into such a group of mindless idiots that all we can do is be entertained by adrenaline??!!!

Epcot is an educational park....period! If you don't like that then don't go!

That being said....the destruction of SE is a shame. My 12 year old son was learning about the Roman Empire right before we left for our last trip in November. When we rode SE I told him he'd see many things that he learned in his history book. When he saw the scene about the Romans building roads and "all roads led to Rome" and that projected carriage riding down the road his face just LIT up! He said, "Mom, all roads really DID lead to Rome!" For him that was a moment of seeing everything come together. He got to "see" history in the making. It's one thing to read about it, but quite another to actually SEE it.

I'll never forget that time with him on SE. This is the kind of stuff that make kids enjoy learning....it was something Disney used to take pride in. It' too bad that as a people our wants have shifted thus making Disney shift what it presents to us. Disney has to make a buck to stay in business--so want to or not, they have to give people what they "think" they want. If it be mindless, thrill numbing rides then so be it I guess. But what a shame.

Christina

General Grizz

Christina - very good post! I always enjoy hearing about those great experiences! Now, EPCOT isn't solely about education; (hundreds of Disney attractions are educational, actually), but it's about the future, progress, family (as it is a Walt Disney inspired theme park), inspiration, imagination, and creation. If Time Racers has inspiration, meaning, and that necessary quality, then we may have a good attractions on our hands. If its a quick attraction based solely on a story and not on a meaning, using screen technology (which I think will be done, hence Microsoft and news reports), then it may not be good. Like another member said, it BETTER be good. :animwink:

Let's not have a park with something for everyone. Lets have an attraction with something for everyone.

CDS Disney

CThaddeus and Christina bravo!!! :sohappy:
What is it with thrill rides I'm not a big rollercoaster fan and it seems that Epcot is being striped of it family rides.
Walt once said that the parks are a family place were young and old can come together and have fun. EPCOT has always been a place of education that’s why I liked it so much. I can only hope it stays that way.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." - Walt Disney

jmarc63

I'm trying to put this as diplomaticly as I can, but, I hope that all this talk assumining that the change in SE will be a coaster of some kind amounts to nothing, then we can sit back and laugh at all this coaster speculation and say " how did they ever come up with that assumption".

kayarei

I'm trying to put this as diplomaticly as I can, but, I hope that all this talk assumining that the change in SE will be a coaster of some kind amounts to nothing, then we can sit back and laugh at all this coaster speculation and say " how did they ever come up with that assumption".

i agree. i have yet to read anything concrete about this being a "thrill" ride. all i've read (aside from all the speculation on this and other boards) is that it is a moving ride with movie screens. that could mean many different things. some think it will be an omnimover/rollercoster hybrid; going faster through "time" and slowing to show the scenes. this could be pulled off without even having a height restriction if it's smooth enough. if it remains somewhat of a dark ride, then you wouldn't have to actually be travelling very fast to simulate speed, especially with movie screens adding to the illusion. i could be totally wrong, but hopefully they will keep SE a family attraction with a good story behing it, just with better technology than what was available 20 years ago.

has anyone out there been polled by disney about this new attraction? i ask because the last time i rode WoM (RIP), when i was exiting i was approached by an employee who asked me a few questions (age, how many times have i been to epcot, etc.) and then offered me 30 disney dollars to listen to their spiel for a new ride. of course i said yes and was taken upstairs in WoM to a room with about a dozen other people. the disney people gave a little presentation of what test track would be like (it was the first time i had heard of it) and asked for our opinions. actually i was the only one in the room who spoke up for WoM, everone else was in favor of a more thrilling ride. i'm not sure if they poll guests for every new attraction they want to put in, but mybe there are some people out there who have heard the official spiel for what TimeRacers will be like. anyone, anyone...

ia think this will be a simulation of some sort. It seems like a few weeks ago i read something about them taking out the track for SE and the replacing it with a new track for Time Racers. So it could be a coaster of some sort. Who nows:confused:

WaltDisney100

Originally posted by CThaddeus
Now, in an effort to alienate the true Disney fans and cater to the Knotts' Berry Farm/Islands of Adventure cheap thrill junkies another grand attraction is going to get the boot and something fast (and probably cheap) will take its place.
It is people like you that make me angry. You claim to be a true Disney Fan but your always doubting disney. Though I agree to a certain extent that Disney has closed down some classic and great attractions. We must look forward. Everyone talks about Walt Disney this and Walt Disney that but what you are missing is his true intentions. What Walt Disney wanted was to provide affordable family entertainment for the masses. As sad as it may seem to see some of our favorite attractions go it has to be done. One last thing I must get off my chest. To all of you who insult Islands of Adventures & Six Flags parks remeber this. They serve there purpose and help raise the bar and set the standards. If Universal or Sea World were not in town Disney would be able to charge more money and would be less motivated to build any great attractions. So next time you want to take the easy way out and insult Disney by not having faith or insult another theme park because it didn't meet with your standereds think about this. Disney cannot make everybody happy and never will so deal with it and move on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom