Time Machine!

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If the fact that our money looks like monopoly money to anyone in the past wasn't an issue... what year would you like to visit Walt Disney World in? I think I would like to visit in 1989. I could visit EPCOT Center to see what everyone is talking about when it comes to the now extinct attractions, I could see MGM's original backlot tour and see MK before the big changes that happened in the 90's. The only other times I would go would be in 78' and 82'

Cmdr_Crimson

I would say around 1991 during the 20th anniversary..Every time I saw this Commercial I wanted to go..
[youtube]21XMvj1v5TM[/youtube]

misterID

Martin's videos are sort of like a time machine. Funny but true, my 11 year old niece would rather watch Martin's vid of Imagination than ride the actual attraction. :D

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I've always loved Martin's Vids but I would like to go exploring in my own way. That is the only problem with videos is you are confined to one viewing angle and I like to grasp a full view of whatever ride I'm on.

rsoxguy

Not to sound sanctimonious, but I live in the here and now. The past always provides great memories, but it has already served its purpose.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Well I don't know about you but I never got to do any of the early EPCOT Center things and though I have seen them via videos I would love to experience them at least once in real life, the same goes for a lot of the older stuff that was taken out of other parks/entire resort.

rsoxguy

Well I don't know about you but I never got to do any of the early EPCOT Center things and though I have seen them via videos I would love to experience them at least once in real life, the same goes for a lot of the older stuff that was taken out of other parks/entire resort.

I visited EPCOT several times when it first opened, along with the ensuing years, and yes, it was fun. With that said, I still believe that dwelling on what once was or might have been serves no real purpose, and I consequently prefer to let go of it. Today brings its own joys and blessings. It's just a philosophical position, and nothing else. I understand that this thread is meant for the sake of lightheartedness, and I don't mean to be a downer.

misterID

I visited EPCOT several times when it first opened, along with the ensuing years, and yes, it was fun. With that said, I still believe that dwelling on what once was or might have been serves no real purpose, and I consequently prefer to let go of it. Today brings its own joys and blessings. It's just a philosophical position, and nothing else. I understand that this thread is meant for the sake of lightheartedness, and I don't mean to be a downer.

Well, you just had to go and p-e-e on the discussion, didn't you...

rsoxguy

It was funny :)

Whew! I only asked because I misunderstood someone's sarcasm years ago on a thread, and she tore into me like a wolf on a pork-chop. I apologized, but she never responded.
Anyhoo, do go on with the time travel discussion, with an agreement that String Theory must be valid in order for this to be possible.

Communicore

If the fact that our money looks like monopoly money to anyone in the past wasn't an issue... what year would you like to visit Walt Disney World in? I think I would like to visit in 1989. I could visit EPCOT Center to see what everyone is talking about when it comes to the now extinct attractions, I could see MGM's original backlot tour and see MK before the big changes that happened in the 90's. The only other times I would go would be in 78' and 82'

Good choice of year. EPCOT Center 1989, the peak of this awesome place!

Besides 1989, I myself would like to go back to the 70's, to hang out in the Buena Vista Club and shop at the Disney Village, watch 70's bands perform at Cosmic Ray's, partake in 70's acloholic beverages at the Polynesian, and then swim in the amoeba-filled River Country!

danstadnik

I would say around 1991 during the 20th anniversary..Every time I saw this Commercial I wanted to go..

I was there 3 times between '91 and '92, and it really was quite great then. I loved MGM Studios during those years - Yeah, it may have been a "half day" park, but that just meant you did everything twice!

Animaniac93-98

I'd pick sometime between spring 1993 and September 1994.

You still had:

20K, Mr. Toad, Skyway, original Snow White, most of EPCOT Centre, old Tomorrowland (for some of this time), River Country

But you also could have:

SpectroMagic, ToT, Splash Mountain, newer AA, Pleasure Island

Early '95 would get you New Tomorrowland, but no 20K.

El-Fuego

I would drop in on every anniversary. It would be interesting to see the progression of each park. I would also turn up to be the last person to ride all those rides and attractions that are no longer with us.

PlaneJane

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I'd pick sometime between spring 1993 and September 1994.

You still had:

20K, Mr. Toad, Skyway, original Snow White, most of EPCOT Centre, old Tomorrowland (for some of this time), River Country

But you also could have:

SpectroMagic, ToT, Splash Mountain, newer AA, Pleasure Island

Early '95 would get you New Tomorrowland, but no 20K.

Earliest I went was 91' or 92' Splash mountain was almost ready I wanted to ride it so bad. I didn't get to ride 20k the line was too long. My grandmother took me on the TTA and told me it was Space Mountain... The line was too long for the skyway... The only extinct ride I got to ride was Toad. I did ride Big Thunder and was able to see the Earthquake scene on the 3rd hill. I loved Peter Pan and Small World. My first visit was cool but it could have been better if my Grandmother was not one of those one day and done type people

I would drop in on every anniversary. It would be interesting to see the progression of each park.

Or in some instances degression, unfortunately.

1989 was a great year. Epcot was at it's peak Wonders Of Life and Maelstrom had just opened. They were still properly investing in the parks.

One aspect that I really miss about those days though was the ability to just sit and relax, take in the view. Find a nice peaceful spot and take in the atmosphere. Today a lot of the sitting areas are crammed with strollers and electronic wheelchairs. A whole new atmosphere indeed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom