Time For A Disney Overhaul: Villain Takeover

NateD1226

Original Poster
Yay! More excuses to talk about Ocean City and my love of boardwalks/piers!

Introduction

My mom grew up in Maryland. As a kid in the early 70, she used to visit Ocean City, MD (A famous boardwalk/pier tourist town) with her family. Her parents had grown up visiting the pier over the years and shared their memories with her.

Over the summer, my mom took me to Ocean City for the first time and shared her memories with me.

Even beyond just my family, the creator of Steven Universe grew up not far from Ocean City (and similar towns) and based many locations in that show on Ocean City to share her memories with others.

My Grandparents in the 1940/50s.
My Mom in the 1970s.
Rebecca Sugar in the 1990s.
Me in the 2010s.

Several generations across several decades. All sharing the same experience.
Many of the same shops, restaurants, and attractions owned by many of the same families.

The thing that makes boardwalks special is how they are generational. Timeless experiences passed down generation to generation.

Pixar may have only been making movies for 23 years, yet they already have created so many timeless movies that have already been started to be passed down form parents to children. Generation to generation.

Change of Plans for Pixar Pier

With the recent attack by Chef Skinner shutting down the plans for the as of yet unopened Lamplight Lounge, coupled with the realization that the current plan for Pixar Pier is... let's say... rough around the edges, Imagineers are having a meeting today (May 7th, 2018) to determine a new plan of action for the land before it opens.

Timeless. Generational.

These are the themes that make Piers so special as well as what tie Pixar to it.

The new plan for the land is subtle in its change, but important.

The pier has been around for years. While it has changed over the years, the heart of it remains the same. The land will not be tied to a specific time period, rather it will be designed to look as if the Pier has been there for decades.

Bob and Helen Parr went on their honeymoon at the Pier. Now, they are sharing the Pier with their kids (of course, Jack Jack gets loose and they have to try to catch him before he injures the people riding the roller coaster).

Andy's family is visiting the Pier for the first time. Andy, of course, brought his toys along. While Andy is off enjoying the Pier, the toys snuck off and are enjoying the carousel and midway games themselves. (And the giant Jessie statue is scrapped for the obvious reason of being dumb).

Riley is on vacation visiting the Pier with her friends family. Her first time being away from her parents for longer than just a sleep over. While, Riley is no longer a little kid (12 and half years old as she is sure to remind people whenever she can), she is still pretty young. The joy and fun of the timeless trip to the pier is mixed with the sadness of being homesick. You might say she is caught in an Emotional Whirlwind.

Small changes to the plans for the pier, but very important ones that make it more cohesive and less tacky.

The best example of this refreshed version of the theme is found in the new theme chosen for the replacement of Lamplight Lounge.

The Paradise Family Diner

The Paradise Family Diner is a family owned restaurant for several generations owned and operated by the Peterson family. It has been here as long as the Pier has.

Great Grandpa Edward Peterson opened the restaurant and named it after Paradise Falls. Even built a fountain inspired by the lovely South American natural wonder of a water fall that is at the entrance to the restaurant.

As a young boy, Carl Fredrickson (The main character from Up) and his family would visit the Pier and always dined at the Paradise Family Diner. Carl loved it since his friend Ellie inspired his love of Paradise Falls.

As a teenager, Carl and Ellie would visit the Pier with their friends. They had one of their first real dates at the Paradise Family Diner. Carl proposed to Ellie there too.

We saw in the movie, that for much of his adult life, Carl worked at a balloon cart at a zoo. He also would sometimes set up that cart on the Pier just outside the diner.

The Peterson family asked Ellie to paint a mural in the diner of Paradise Falls after seeing the wonderful artwork she painted in her house.

Now, years later after the events of the movie, Carl is taking Russel to the Pier for the first time. Naturally, they visit the Paradise Family Diner.

Now, when you visit Pixar Pier, you can visit the Paradise Family Diner too!

Description

The exterior is modeled after Pier House from Myrtle Beach.

View attachment 330911

The main floor will be the Paradise Family Diner featuring a large brass fountain of Paradise Falls right at the entrance. Ellie's mural is on the back wall.

View attachment 330912

Pictures of guests visiting the diner over the years can be seen on the walls. Original characters, like the Peterson family who have been running the diner for generations, and Pixar characters, like the Parr family or the Rivera family, are seen in these photos. Though most of the pictures feature Carl, Ellie, Russel, and other Up characters from throughout the years.

Outside the restaurant, Carl's old balloon cart can be seen. It is just for show though, if you want to actually buy balloons, there's always someone nearby who can help you. Carl and Russel do enjoy posing for pictures and meeting with guests near the old balloon cart though.

View attachment 330913

Menu

I won't get too detailed with the menu. It is mostly seafood based. During the day, it is more lower budget, fried and grilled, options. During the evening, the menu becomes more upscale and fancy.

Lobster Nachos from the Lamplight Lounge menu will also be found here in both appetizer size and meal size.
The shrimp macaroni and cheese from Columbia Harbor house in FL will be found at the diner as well.
British style Fish and Chips that are similar to those found in the UK Pavilion in Epcot will be brought here as a popular option as well.

As far as original dining options go, Salmon burgers are sure to be a big hit.
View attachment 330917

Of course, chicken strips and similar kid/allergy friendly options are available as well.

An upstairs dining area will serve as more of a lounge/bar for people who need some liquid courage before riding Mission Breakout. It features a selection of beers and light drinks.

The Paradise Punch is the signature drink here. It is an extra sweet fruit punch balanced out by a shot of vodka. Bit bitter, bit sugary, bit fruity, bit of a kick.

Conclusion

All in all, Paradise Family Diner will seek to serve as a mission statement for all of Pixar Pier.

A celebration of what makes boardwalks so special and what makes Pixar so special. A celebration of family. A timeless environment. Experiences that can be passed down from generation to generation.

Welcome!
As the cool kids say: I'M SHOOK

This intro/story was tremendous! I love hearing the backstory and the reason for the choice of UP. The name Paradise Family Diner is really well thought out. It really shows that family and friends are always there for you. You can have fun with them wherever and whenever.

The exterior was nice having a inspiration to it. The mural is great additions and really brings out the greatness of UP. The Petersons and Pixar family photos are a great addition. It reminds of how the restaurants hang photos of celebrities that were at the restaurant. The menu is sweet and simple. Keeping traditional items from the past restaurant is great! The balloon cart is a great addition and is a hit for me.

Overall, this a great writeup and is a well deserved...

SCORE 10/10

NateD1226

Original Poster
Challenge 3
Oogie Boogie

ObbXyJPTVOBcgR3qpKfw5Y4_OAhbK3wuHsfKii5aD0Y0Eh6-VzHrHex1DKMsWgHm6kzNMH34KGROUm_Tc72fsAtlgv5CkeCuUbGcRvaQNe0LwpwV702YuCfYi3PA8u7eVSs_9fEI

-Challenge-
It wouldn’t be a villain takeover without the holiday crasher himself...Oogie Boogie! He has rolled his dice and gave his wheel a twirl. He put a curse over all the holiday themed rides! Your task must is to create a NEW Christmas Overlay for a Disneyland or DCA ride. You may NOT do Haunted Mansion, Small World, Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree,Jungle Cruise, and Luigi’s Rockin Roadsters as they all had/have holiday overlays.

-Reminders-
Keep it fun!
Make sure you use a presentation site I can see (Forums, Docs, Slides, etc)
Stay in the ride area and don't extend out.
Try to be creative and think of new ideas
You may NOT use old ride concepts!
You can make it as short or as long as you want!
Have at least one image!

Outbound

Soarin'_Logo.svg.png

The Holidays are approaching at Disneyland, and you know what that means! Christmas carols, Santa meet and greets, and one big old Christmas tree. It's such a wonderful time we can forget how different things are across the world. In fact, some might even think Christmas is celebrated everywhere.

Yet that’s not the case. All around the world, various traditions, values, and holidays are celebrated. When these families hear "holiday" they don't think Santa. So when they go to Disneyland Resort, they should be able to celebrate their special days. These other holidays should be celebrated just as much as our own- because at the end of the day, they all stand for the same thing. Good.

At Soarin among the Holidays, you will embark on a grand journey through 13 Holidays celebrated around the world. Some you will know, others you will not. But to each ride, one of those holidays will be theirs, and they will feel special.

The building has been decorated in reefs, paper lanterns, and other holiday apparel. Giant Flight Posters show the various holidays this limited time flight will be traveling to. Instead of luggage, items from the holidays are present, such as a menorah. Moving further in, guests divide to the different flight decks. They then reach the pre-show, which goes as normal but is suddenly interrupted by Santa Claus himself, announcing his fastest reindeer will be supporting the gliders. With this we are ushered in to celebrate the season. (click the red link)

So without further ado:
COMMENCE BOARDING

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
After a long thought, I have decided to end the comp early. I don't think this was the right time to start a comp. I will let the holidays roll by and maybe I will start the comp over again another time. :)
A shame, but totally understandable. Look forward to Future comps from you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom