Tiered Parking

Brad Bishop

Original Poster
Disney has a tiered system for tickets. Days that are thought to have higher attendance cost more like Christmas, Spring Break, etc.

Why hasn't Disney introduced this for parking?

For example, a normal day should be $25 (I think that's what it is now).
Higher attendance days, using their own methodology, really should cost more - Perhaps Christmas gets you into the $75/day category (maybe $100).

It would make sense:
- they're running more trams (though they could save by just running the same number of trams)
- more parking staff on duty (again, they could also save here)
- obviously the parking spaces would be in higher demand which really means they should charge more
- Also, perhaps most importantly, it's green. It discourages those who would otherwise drive from coming thus making the Earth just a little bit cooler AND it encourages all to take a bus to get there. Win-win-win.

If you're spending $thousands on a trip, the slight increase in cost isn't going to matter to you.

This whole idea got me to thinking about how you'd want to inform your customers beforehand what the parking is going to be and led me to: Of course! A parking reservation system.

Hear me out:

You already have to use MDE (if they're still calling it that) to reserve a park, dining, etc. That process is already in place, why not extend it to the parking lots (perhaps even charge a small fee for it) so that you could reserve a spot in the parking lot for that day. You wouldn't get a particular space, just whichever you pulled up to but it'd guarantee you entry into the parking lot.

The benefits here are:
- you know the price going in (perhaps even pre-pay making it easier on everyone)
- you're guaranteed a spot in the parking lot

Before you poo-poo this idea, think about the family who drives in from Denver, wanting to park in the world's most popular theme park's parking lot but can't get in because all of the APers visiting.. With this reservation system, which they're already using extensively for other things, they won't arrive at the parking toll booths and be turned away because, "Sorry, sir... the lot is full..."

For APers:
- no more free parking at the parks (unless they've removed that perk already)
- You can get a next-level pass for $4000/yr which includes park entry to all Disney theme parks in FL AND free parking

Disstevefan1

Disney has a tiered system for tickets. Days that are thought to have higher attendance cost more like Christmas, Spring Break, etc.

Higher attendance days, using their own methodology, really should cost more - Perhaps Christmas gets you into the $75/day category (maybe $100).

It would make sense:
- they're running more trams (though they could save by just running the same number of trams)
- obviously the parking spaces would be in higher demand which really means they should charge more
- Also, perhaps most importantly, it's green. It discourages those who would otherwise drive from coming thus making the Earth just a little bit cooler AND it encourages all to take a bus to get there. Win-win-win.

If you're spending $thousands on a trip, the slight increase in cost isn't going to matter to you.

This whole idea got me to thinking about how you'd want to inform your customers beforehand what the parking is going to be and led me to: Of course! A parking reservation system.

Hear me out:

You already have to use MDE (if they're still calling it that) to reserve a park, dining, etc. That process is already in place, why not extend it to the parking lots (perhaps even charge a small fee for it) so that you could reserve a spot in the parking lot for that day. You wouldn't get a particular space, just whichever you pulled up to but it'd guarantee you entry into the parking lot.

The benefits here are:
- you know the price going in (perhaps even pre-pay making it easier on everyone)

Before you poo-poo this idea, think about the family who drives in from Denver, wanting to park in the world's most popular theme park's parking lot but can't get in because all of the APers visiting.. With this reservation system, which they're already using extensively for other things, they won't arrive at the parking toll booths and be turned away because, "Sorry, sir... the lot is full..."

For APers:
- You can get a next-level pass for $4000/yr which includes park entry to all Disney theme parks in FL AND free parking
Haven’t you listened to Chapek? He’s got the families from Denver (and Seattle) covered. You don’t need to worry about them.

Besides that, do you think anyone drives from Denver to go to WDW?

I wonder how many times they must stop to recharge their EV for that trip?

JoeCamel

Does the TTC lot ever close to entry?
I can't remember more than a couple of times in the past they were parking on the grass but they have expanded the lots since that time so is this a possibility?

NickMaio

It would make sense:

Hear me out:

The benefits here are:

For APers:
What's the matter with you......?

JoeCamel

While you are at it how about tiered pricing for food and tiered pricing for snacks ( 10 bucks for a water and soda), tiered pricing of alcohol drinks. you are already spending thousands what's a little more. (sarcasm)
I should be able to see the greeter at any TS and for the right price (cash only ~$200+ should do it) get immediate seating with the platinum tier dining plan.....

Club Cooloholic

Already is tiered parking at the resorts. Somehow, a parking space at AKL is worth more than one at All Star Sports, maybe they use better asphalt?

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Too many guests is the reason the park parking lots get 30+ minute back-ups. Parking is in high demand, especially at park open, the magic hopping hour and around evening events. Pricing should be dependent on day and the hour. Also, guests should have a level playing field with equal access to where they can park. Row should not be determined by order in which they arrive, it should be based on how important being close to gate is to them and how much they’re willing to budget. Let all spots be reserved in advance with dynamic pricing.

mergatroid

It would make sense:

Hear me out:

The benefits here are:

For APers:
That's a pretty good effort, 8/10 ;)

If in the highly unlikely event that you're serious, have you ever heard of somebody having a park reservation and driving from Denver to be told "Sorry sir/madam/person, we've allowed more reservations than we have parking spaces so you'll have to drive back to Denver as there's no parking space for you" :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom