Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

There's nothing wrong with Song of the South.

And even if one finds elements of SOTS “problematic” I think the singing animals in Splash Mountain from the animated segments of the movie are far enough removed for anyone not softer than Kleenex. Which of course is why the ride still stands today, why practically nobody cares (including the thousands of Black people that ride every year) and why it’s been around for 31 +years.

Dear Prudence

Yes, agreed. One side loves to downplay the legitimate issues with SotS and gaslight others and the other side pretends they know what they’re talking about in terms of social issues and genuinely believe Disney’s choice comes from a genuine place of social justice, which is laughable.

Both are exhausting.
I get so sick of people trying to invent things about Splash, saying it has "minstrelsy," saying idiotic nonsense like "it's the slave catcher ride." 1. It's connected to SOTS, that's it... you don't need anything else. 2. Again, it's perpetuating stereotypes that conflate uneducated with Black American, and it just sounds like a personal problem. Like, you immediately went there, what does that say about you 🤔. Very specifically, Splash drew from SOTS, but also from Catfish Bend, which was a never finished Disney project. All those designs ended up in America Sings. But if you go looking for trouble and want to find it, you surely will.

Dear Prudence

lf (1).jpeg

The art for this movie is so cute! There's a little reference to Catfish Bend on the Disneyland Splash Mountain. In other universe, this would have been a TV show or film that the attraction was based on and we wouldn't be here.

There are also original Catfish Bend novels/books the film was going to be based on. It might be interesting to go back and see what from them ended up in Splash Mountain.

Last edited:

Brummyboy92

When is Splash set to close? Sorry if it's been asked a million times but likely coming over in Feb/March. And no, I don't care if it's not that warm that time of year, I'm British, 20c is warm enough for a log flume. :D

Dear Prudence

When is Splash set to close? Sorry if it's been asked a million times but likely coming over in Feb/March. And no, I don't care if it's not that warm that time of year, I'm British, 20c is warm enough for a log flume. :D
The Disneyland one is going for a brief refurbishment in January/ February, but is supposed to be around for at least another year. Source: cast members last week.

I don't know about Disney World.

Dear Prudence

Also, I don't know if anyone else has asked this, but what's the likelihood of Disneyland Splash finally getting lap bars when it gets the PATF re theme 😂

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Also, I don't know if anyone else has asked this, but what's the likelihood of Disneyland Splash finally getting lap bars when it gets the PATF re theme 😂
I also wonder the likelihood Of TWDC addressing the double drop and the wetness situation with new log designs. Another insider posted about how Disney is concerned about little girls/kids in high priced princess dresses getting too wet on the ride and wanting to “address the issue”.

Dear Prudence

I also wonder the likelihood Of TWDC addressing the double drop and the wetness situation with new log designs. Another insider posted about how Disney is concerned about little girls/kids in high priced princess dresses getting too wet on the ride and wanting to “address the issue”.
My niece wore her high priced princess dress with a poncho over it, at her own insistence, and she's 4. 🤣 nothing was going to stop her.

Dear Prudence

Maybe they shouldn’t be retheming arguably the most thrilling ride in the park with the biggest drop to a Princess ride? Or at least not view it as such and focus on the aspects of the movie that are simpatico with Splash Mountain.
I am still trying to figure out how they made a cutesy darkride with a thrilling drop in the first place. I mean, from a narrative standpoint, you're thrown in the Briar Patch--it's brilliant, it actually makes sense, but I don't know if I, personally, would have ever lengthened cute animals with a drop like that (and no lap restraints or anything! o_O). Mind you, this is when they cared about narrative, quality, etc.

The 2 and 4 years olds in our family are tall enough to ride it in its current iteration, but with nothing to really keep you in, we opted out of having the smaller ones ride it. I do wonder about the core PATF fan base being able to enjoy it in its new form, and I think other people have brought that up before.

mickEblu

I am still trying to figure out how they made a cutesy darkride with a thrilling drop in the first place. I mean, from a narrative standpoint, you're thrown in the Briar Patch--it's brilliant, it actually makes sense, but I don't know if I, personally, would have ever lengthened cute animals with a drop like that (and no lap restraints or anything! o_O). Mind you, this is when they cared about narrative, quality, etc.

The 2 and 4 years olds in our family are tall enough to ride it in its current iteration, but with nothing to really keep you in, we opted out of having the smaller ones ride it. I do wonder about the core PATF fan base being able to enjoy it in its new form, and I think other people have brought that up before.

It is genius.

A PatF ride in Splash could work but the fact that they said they re worried about 4 year olds in princess dresses getting wet tells me they re not focused on the right elements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom