Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Roger_the_pianist

There's no way Disney is going to put that kind of effort into preserving Splash as is. Song of the South will likely never ever be released. There aren't going to be new Br'er Rabbit tales.

Does anybody really believe that would happen?

Inspired Figment

There's no way Disney is going to put that kind of effort into preserving Splash as is. Song of the South will likely never ever be released. There aren't going to be new Br'er Rabbit tales.

Does anybody really believe that would happen?
Under better management that actually cares about the integrity & legacy of the Disney company as a whole, that ‘that’ is the goal for both a successful short ‘and’ long term success? Yes! Under current management with Chapek at the helm with the only being making ‘short term’ quarterly earnings for their shareholders. Heck no..

Last edited:

TP2000

What still fascinates me is that this allegedly "problematic" (isn't that what the kids say?) ride continues to operate on both coasts.

It can't be that problematic, because it's still operating daily.

Currently the wait time for Disneyland's Splash Mountain is 90 minutes long. That seems to be its only current "problem". 🤣

BuzzedPotatoHead89

What still fascinates me is that this allegedly "problematic" (isn't that what the kids say?) ride continues to operate on both coasts.

It can't be that problematic, because it's still operating daily.

Currently the wait time for Disneyland's Splash Mountain is 90 minutes long. That seems to be its only current "problem". 🤣

It’s really over the top.

I pine for someone in the walls of TWDC to just have the fortitude stand up and say: “Mr. Chapek, sir, I find our over-reliance on the word “problematic” to be… well…. Problematic.” 😆

Inspired Figment

There are a lot of issues with the ride. This is eaxctly what I mean by not focusing on the ride itself and instead making this about the controversy surrounding it. If you don't want to talk about how questionable the ride's history is, don't constantly bring it up.
The ‘ride’ isn’t the thing that neccesarily has a lot of controversy surrounding it or it’s history. It’s Song of the South, not Splash Mountain

Kate F

There are a lot of issues with the ride. This is eaxctly what I mean by not focusing on the ride itself and instead making this about the controversy surrounding it. If you don't want to talk about how questionable the ride's history is, don't constantly bring it up.
I told you that I’ve tried making a positivity thread about the ride that didn’t involve talking about the controversy, and people still talked about it in there anyway. How are you supposed to talk about the ride in a normal fashion when it’s been made into a scapegoat?

Inspired Figment

Splash Mountain made a big (and IMO, successful) effort in fixing the issues Song of the South had in how it utilized the Br’er Rabbit characters & tales, in using the aspects that worked fine in a creative & unique way & ditching the parts that didn’t (the ‘tar baby’ being used for the “sticky situation” analogy. & the live action parts of the film, that was tastefully replaced with the honey trap which fit the “sticky situation’ analogy perfectly fine and the focus was brought specifically on the Br’er Rabbit stories rather than the latter)
Hence why people want to save the ride & Br’er Rabbit tales & characters specifically. They’re extremely well executed on their own. Song of the South is simply the thing that clearly didn’t work well. Not neccesarily the Br’er Rabbit tales themselves or the parts of Song of the South that were well executed (namely the majority of the animated Br’er Rabbit story segments & the 3 songs featured in those stories; “How Do You Do?, Everybody’s Got a Laughin’ Place, and Zip a Dee Do-Dah) .

Last edited:

SplashGhost

I have said before I find Disney’s recent PR statements from their corporate communications team under the Chapek era to be baffling if not counterintuitive. Whether it’s slamming their own properties/rides as “problematic” or referring to their talent as “callous and spiteful” regarding contract disputes.

All of it just seem inexperienced, hyperbolic, divisive and really only serves to tarnish the legacy brand. Some of the statements on Splash Mountain - especially in light of the fact it is on an apparent slower track than we were led to believe a year post-announcement - aren’t in particularly good taste.

There was a better way to roll out the press on this to be sure.

I feel like Chapek is going to continue embarrassing the company, if it wasn't for the Disney fans that like anything and everything that the company produces regardless of quality, Chapek might end up being the CEO that finally kills the Disney brand for good.

Kate F

Honestly, yeah. Just like I found it weird that people were swearing off Jungle Cruise if they removed Trader Sam and now being super critical of the JC changes.
Well then that settles it. There is no use wasting my time arguing with you anymore. We are not only not on the same page, we’re in different books. And it doesn’t seem like that’s gonna change. Good day.

Inspired Figment

It makes me wonder if there is a breakfast food forum out there with people defending their love for Aunt Jemima pancake mix.
Okay, but the difference there is it’s simply a name change with the taste & quality of the product itself not changing. The Splash Mountain change is, Infact, a drastic change to the product.

It’d be like trying to argue the ‘02-current Journey Into Imagination With Figment or ‘99’s Journey Into YOUR Imagination is the same attraction as the original ‘83-98 Journey Into Imagination and that folks shouldn’t be upset about the change simply because it uses the same ride system/vehicles & building. That simply isn’t the case.

Last edited:

Kate F

Okay, but the difference there is it’s simply a name change with the taste & quality of the product itself not changing. The Splash Mountain change is, Infact, a drastic change to the product.

It’d be like trying to argue the current Journey Into Imagination With Figment or ‘99’s Journey Into YOUR Imagination is the same attraction as the original 1983-98 Journey Into Imagination simply because it uses the same ride system/vehicles & buildings. That simply isn’t the case.
This guy just said he doesn’t understand why this ride has fans. Fighting with him is a worthless endeavor. He doesn’t get us.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
It makes me wonder if there is a breakfast food forum out there with people defending their love for Aunt Jemima pancake mix.
I’m sure there are plenty defending Aunt Jemima.

The thing is, these companies aren’t doing anything towards actual change and progression for African Americans. Removing mammies and other black characters from food boxes like Aunt Jemima, Cream of Wheat, and Uncle Ben’s solves very little to nothing of our problems.

Inspired Figment

It’s like if you decided to update the recipe of say a beloved snack like Nacho Cheese Doritos or Crunchy original Cheetos. You keep the basic chip part of it, but change the rest of it. Completely change the flavor & texture of the chip while still retaining the Cheetos - Crunchy & Doritos -Nacho Cheese names. Though in actuality, it’s a completely different chip, despite it being advertised as “the same experience but with an update to the flavor” and that people shouldn’t complain cause “It’s still a bag of chips called Nacho Cheese Doritos/Crunchy Cheetos”

Last edited:

Kate F

I can have discussions with people who are pro-retheme. I can’t have discussions with people who flat out deny the popularity of the ride and think that it shouldn’t have any fans at all.

Roger_the_pianist

I have to say that a good first step towards battling racism is removing stereotypes from consumer products. It's the acceptance of this imagery that makes certain attitudes on race "ok", and Splash Mountain is a product for consumers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom