Tiana (Disney+ Series - 2024)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
To follow up on that, those are theoretically live action films. Though maybe the dates changed since you posted as well. The only unnamed dated animated release for WDAS is November 2026. Which is likely Frozen 3.
Its just a placeholder date for now, and you could be right. But just because it isn't specifically labeled as an "untitled Disney Animation" yet doesn't mean it can't or won't be in the future, or even just get slotted with a WDAS release later. For example Disney doesn't always label all future MCU films as an "untitled Marvel movie".

The release calendar is a funny thing, especially these days, there is not always a rhyme or reason to it.

BrianLo

Its just a placeholder date for now, and you could be right. But just because it isn't specifically labeled as an "untitled Disney Animation" yet doesn't mean it can't or won't be in the future, or even just get slotted with a WDAS release later. For example Disney doesn't always label all future MCU films as an "untitled Marvel movie".

The release calendar is a funny thing, especially these days, there is not always a rhyme or reason to it.

I've never seen an animated movie flip a unannounced date before. BUT their animated studio release cadence is historically extremely predictable and far looking. This Tiana project I agree would be an exception that it would likely get slotted in where it makes sense.

I'm not sure if Moana actually caused a schedule shift or if they truly were just going to skip over this year by happenstance. Tiana (if it does become a movie) I don't think would cause another shift. Unless it completely displaces a 2027 project in Burbank itself. Though I strongly feel like it was meant to be a Vancouver Studio project. It seems like the Vancouver Studio was made to make D+ content originally.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I've never seen an animated movie flip a unannounced date before. BUT their animated studio release cadence is historically extremely predictable and far looking. This Tiana project I agree would be an exception that it would likely get slotted in where it makes sense.

I'm not sure if Moana actually caused a schedule shift or if they truly were just going to skip over this year by happenstance. Tiana (if it does become a movie) I don't think would cause another shift. Unless it completely displaces a 2027 project in Burbank itself. Though I strongly feel like it was meant to be a Vancouver Studio project. It seems like the Vancouver Studio was made to make D+ content originally.
Honestly after this year and the last few years anything is possible, even things that seemed impossible in years past. We're in an era of possibly having to relearn how not only the release calendar works, but also the box office in general.

BrianLo

Honestly after this year and the last few years anything is possible, even things that seemed impossible in years past. We're in an era of possibly having to relearn how not only the release calendar works, but also the box office in general.

Oh yes, I'm agreeing with you, but more as a function of they normally cannot just 'find' an animated release on a cutting room floor. It's usually quite predictable and they have a very long planning cycle in that field.

This second studio, making content that they are last second retooling into a theatrical release seems to be what's breaking all the conventional rules. So Tiana mostly depends on who is making it. WDAS clearly cannot output more than one film a year, but Vancouver can totally make an off cycle bonus release possible.

I *think* Vancouver would be making Tiana. The sudden retooling of Moana probably caused a big resource shift and that's why this Tiana project appears so perpetually delayed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Oh yes, I'm agreeing with you, but more as a function of they normally cannot just 'find' an animated release on a cutting room floor. It's usually quite predictable and they have a very long planning cycle in that field.

This second studio, making content that they are last second retooling into a theatrical release seems to be what's breaking all the conventional rules. So Tiana mostly depends on who is making it. WDAS clearly cannot output more than one film a year, but Vancouver can totally make an off cycle bonus release possible.

I *think* Vancouver would be making Tiana. The sudden retooling of Moana probably caused a big resource shift and that's why this Tiana project appears so perpetually delayed.
Agreed, either way I suspect we'll hear more about this project, and whether its a series or a film, by D23 if not at D23 itself and hopefully even a release date.

DisneyWarrior27

Uuuuuuntil Moana 2 makes boffo numbers at the worldwide box office to make Disney go change its mind and turn Tiana into The Princess and the Frog 2 for movie theaters with more money and resources poured into this sequel to make sure it’s fully 2D/hand-drawn animated, which means a possible chance of bringing back the hand-drawn Disney animators still alive and the CAPS system to make sure it IS hand-drawn.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom