Thoughts on when there might be changes to masking/capacity/onboard activities

COrunner

Original Poster
I was talking with my family over the weekend and this question came up. Did a little research and most of the news is rightfully centered around the newest ship but had a question for anyone who might be more in the cruising know:

Our last Disney Cruise was the NYE Caribbean 2019/2020, one of the last cruises in the before times. Originally we were going to do a Christmas cruise in 2021, booked when things were looking up before Omicron. Then moved that to a summer sailing through Alaska in June. I think given all the movement everyone wants to be hopeful but also in looking over the latest guidance there wasn't much change I believe other than allowing recovered people on board. Everyone in our party is vaxxed/boosted so the concerns are getting to be less about getting sick and more about what will our experience be when compared to that first Disney Cruise.

I think with Disney dropping some mandates (which I know FL plays a part in much bigger than cruising/CDC) we are getting hopeful that we may have a similar experience come June. Does anyone have any insight into when some of those activities, capacity/time limits at the pool for example, might be changing?

CaptainAmerica

The only place where masks are still required onboard is in the Walt Disney Theater, which I believe is something they're still working through with the union.

JaxFLBear

The only place where masks are still required onboard is in the Walt Disney Theater, which I believe is something they're still working through with the union.
Guests under 5 years of age who are currently ineligible to be vaccinated will be required to wear face coverings in Youth Activity spaces and in the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique.

lostpro9het

I think with Disney dropping some mandates (which I know FL plays a part in much bigger than cruising/CDC) we are getting hopeful that we may have a similar experience come June. Does anyone have any insight into when some of those activities, capacity/time limits at the pool for example, might be changing?
I think the mandate below is the one that has to go for some normalcy. Or, at least, follow the Celebrity model and allow for proctored testing 48 hours prior. Asking your guests, who many are vaccinated and boosted, to drop a ton of coin on airfare and cruise fees in hopes that you test negative on a test that can be positive, if you had covid 2 months ago, 45 minutes before you board the ship might be the most unmagical thing DCL has done since ruining the Palo dinner experience.
What about testing at port?

Last edited:

ChuckElias

Asking your guests, who many are vaccinated and boosted, to drop a ton of coin on airfare and cruise fees in hopes that you test negative 45 minutes before you board the ship might be the most unmagical thing DCL has done since ruining the Palo dinner experience.
To be fair, this policy was not just DCL's idea. Several cruise lines implemented this upon their return to cruising. I've had to do it for another cruise line and it was almost unbearably stressful. So I can't really blame DCL for requiring it. I hate it, don't get me wrong. But I kind of understand that DCL's not the bad guy on this one.

As for Palo dinner. . .

lostpro9het

To be fair, this policy was not just DCL's idea. Several cruise lines implemented this upon their return to cruising. I've had to do it for another cruise line and it was almost unbearably stressful. So I can't really blame DCL for requiring it. I hate it, don't get me wrong. But I kind of understand that DCL's not the bad guy on this one.

As for Palo dinner. . .
Still, they have a choice, right? They could choose the Celebrity method which, while stressful, is far less stressful than the DCl model.

CaptainAmerica

Still, they have a choice, right? They could choose the Celebrity method which, while stressful, is far less stressful than the DCl model.
It saves everybody money though. I'd rather MAYBE lose $300 on my flights than DEFINITELY have to spend $100 for a rapid test.

(I don't think they're $100 anymore, but they used to be.)

lostpro9het

It saves everybody money though. I'd rather MAYBE lose $300 on my flights than DEFINITELY have to spend $100 for a rapid test.

(I don't think they're $100 anymore, but they used to be.)
So you'd rather fly to another state and fail a test and have to deal with the headache of getting back on the fly rather than know before you even leave your home? Ok, cool. I'd rather know before I go if I'm getting on the ship, though.

CaptainAmerica

So you'd rather fly to another state and fail a test and have to deal with the headache of getting back on the fly rather than know before you even leave your home? Ok, cool. I'd rather know before I go if I'm getting on the ship, though.
I mean what I'd ACTUALLY do is find a nice beach and plop my fat in the Atlantic for a week.

rk03221

There have been horror stories of families testing positive and having to rent a car and drive back to wherever they’re from. You can’t get on a plane if you test positive. It’s an absolute horror scenario. At least let us test 3 days before while at home or something…we’ve been thinking about canceling because of the testing model, it’s just too much of a risk.

We don’t sail until next year though so hopefully they change it

JaxFLBear

At least let us test 3 days before while at home or something…we’ve been thinking about canceling because of the testing model, it’s just too much of a risk.
How about using a FREE at-home self test kit? Many pharmacies also have free testing available.

ChuckElias

So you'd rather fly to another state and fail a test and have to deal with the headache of getting back on the fly rather than know before you even leave your home?

Another state? How about another country? This is what we had to do to board our Star Clippers sailing in Barbados! Try renting a car and driving home from there!!! :D

RememberWhen

We sailed in February, and while it was stressful waiting for our results at the port, we were pretty sure they would all be fine. We all tested before leaving home (about 3 days before the cruise) and we rapid tested everyone the night before. We did spend those couple of days at Disney, so we were careful while there to wear our masks and distance as much as possible. Rapid tests are inexpensive/free and readily available (at least here in MA).

Chip Chipperson

When my wife and I went on a cruise with her cousin's family last month we all took at-home tests in our hotel room the night before to put our minds at ease for the next morning. All tests were negative, so we felt pretty certain that we'd be fine at the port - and we were right. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it was the most assurance we could get considering we had flown into MCO a couple days earlier and spent part of the previous day in the parks.

RememberWhen

When my wife and I went on a cruise with her cousin's family last month we all took at-home tests in our hotel room the night before to put our minds at ease for the next morning. All tests were negative, so we felt pretty certain that we'd be fine at the port - and we were right. It's not a 100% guarantee, but it was the most assurance we could get considering we had flown into MCO a couple days earlier and spent part of the previous day in the parks.
We did the same for our February cruise.

docdebbi

Now that tests are easy to find and inexpensive (and I'm not depriving someone who thinks they are positive from getting their hands on a test) I have stocked up. About 20 kits in the house (40 tests) and we plan (all 7 of us) to do them before leaving home, before leaving our hotel room in Orlando to drive to port, etc. I do not want to be nervous, or deal with the oh no at the port.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom