Thoughts On The Contemporary Resort

ACE

We will be going to WDW 5 - 11 Jan 03 and since I'm retired military I can stay at the Shades of Green military resort on Disney property. Now the good part! Shades of Green is closed for remodeling and we are being put up in the Contemporary for $89 a nite!

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts on the Contemporary are. I have 3 kids, ages 15, 12 & 6. They think it's cool because the monorail goes through it, but I was just curious on others thoughts and feelings.

We've gone to Disney 3 times in the past two years but stayed off site each time, so we're very exited about this trip. Also how will the crowds be at this time of year? My other trips were in May, November, & April.

Thanks for any info and advice.

ACE

Worldphile

We stayed there a couple of years ago. If you like the Magic Kingdom alot, it is awesome.

We were in one of the garden wings which are the motel looking buildings near the Contemporary. We were also way down at the end of the wing. So, we could walk out of our room, down the stairs and head for the MK. I think it was closer for us to walk to the MK than it was to walk back into the hotel to get the monorail.

It is starting to show its age, but overall we liked it. The restaurants are good, and it is in a good location.

Upvote 0

ACE

Original Poster
My reservation says "wing-standard" under room view. Anyone know what that is? (or should I say "where that is?)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

If you are staying under the Shades of Green / Contemporary plan, you will be in the North Garden Wing.

Opinions are all over the place about the Contemp. Some love it; others are less enthusiastic.

The arcade gets raves, if that matters to your kids.

Even if the decor is not to your taste--some call it gaudy; others call it "George Jetson retro", remember you are in a deluxe Disney resort for the price of the All Stars.

Rack rates for the Garden Wings of the Contemp. are:

Value season $234
Regular season $254
Peak Season $299
Holiday Season $334

You have an awesome rate, and a wonderful opportunity to check out a deluxe resort.

The Contemporary has
large rooms
monorail
Chef Mickey's
fireworks viewing
Electric Light Parade

Have a great vacation!!

Upvote 0

cm1988

Originally posted by acellis_99
My reservation says "wing-standard" under room view. Anyone know what that is? (or should I say "where that is?)
It will be north or south of the tower, and with a view other than water. You should have either a patio or a deck.

Any room there is good... they are huge, with huge baths as well. The kids will love the "fun center" downstairs in the tower... and you'll all like the walk to the MK (or monrail to other resorts and Epcot), the water sprites, the pool, restaurants, lounges.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

mousecar

I love the Contemporary because it is "self contained". Everything is one structure. The arcade is the best on property. The monorail is right there. The rental boats are fun, fun, fun. Don't forget Chef Mickey's.

Have a great time

Upvote 0

Worldphile

I would guess that to mean that you will be in one of the garden wings and not the tower itself.

Upvote 0

wdwguru

Contemporary

I am planning on staying there myself at the end of January. We stayed at the Comtemporary 4 years ago in a tower room and we loved it! :D When I heard that Shades of Green had temporarily taken over one of the wings, I felt it was a deal that we just couldn't pass up. I know that several members have sights decribing rooms in the different hotels. I've bookmarked a Polynesian website from Tikiman. Does anyone know of a website describing all of the Contemporary's rooms, including the North Garden Wing? :confused:

Upvote 0

stingrock23

Since you can get it at that price, it's a good deal. You get great views of the magic kingdom, and have easy quick access to Epcot via monorail. You'll have a good time.

Upvote 0

Lance

I just got done staying at the Polynesian, and I was disappointed, because I went in with the taste of a Contemporary Tower room still in my mouth. The Contemporary Tower rooms blow the Garden View Polynesian rooms away. The best rooms on WDW property still and always will be the Contemporary Tower rooms.

But anyway, garden wings aren't the worst, your still at the Contemporary, and you get all the perks as Tower rooms except the view and the convienency.

Arcade is the best in WDW
Food Court isn't bad, but not the best
Pool is good, water slide
Rentals
Boats to FW and WL
Walk to MK
Great Bathrooms on the Convention Center floor(my favorite WDW bathroom) and Grand Concourse!

Upvote 0

kwt10

I have stayed at the Contemp more times that I can remember (it was my parents favorite hotel). The one huge benefit that I can remember is being able to walk to the MK. The arcade, pools, food and shopping are great (as in most Disney Hotels) but being able to walk to and see MK from the hotel is awesome.

Upvote 0

Grumpy56

We've never stayed at the Contemporary but go at least once on every trip to eat at the CA Grill which is an outstanding restaurant. We too could not resist the SOG deal and will be there at the end of January. I'm sure it will be a fine place to stay. Last time we were at WDW we stayed at the Polynesian and it is great to be on the monorail. Also we had a great meal at the Concourse Steakhouse. My daughter absolutely loved the Filet Mignon Kids Meal. Since she is 12 she often wants to order off the adult meal so for us this was a deal. The Outer Rim Lounge looked like fun though we didn't try it last time. Something to look forward to in January. Have a great trip and be sure to report back with your impressions

Upvote 0

ACE

Original Poster
:sohappy: Thanks to everyone for the input. I really appreciate it.

:wave: Cya real soon.

:confused: Because we like you!

M-O-U-S-E

Upvote 0

cruiseman

I kinda of liked my stay there. Some of the highlights were seeing the fireworks every night without going to the magic kindom. if your room doesnt face MK then head to the parking lot. Chef mickeys has a great character breakfast And some nice shops in the tower. I sat and watched the monorail come and go and talked to the characture artist outside the shops for an hour one night. Nice way to unwind.

Upvote 0

jmarc63

I belive that means that you would have a view of the parking lot since the view is less than desireable visualy than looking out to Bay Lake. The North garden wing offers you better views in my opinion than the South Wing since the north Wing offers you a view of Mk from the parking lot side. When I have stayed at the Contempoary I have chosen to stay In the North wing because of the view of MK

Upvote 0

jmarc63

Re: Contemporary

Originally posted by wdwguru
I am planning on staying there myself at the end of January. We stayed at the Comtemporary 4 years ago in a tower room and we loved it! :D When I heard that Shades of Green had temporarily taken over one of the wings, I felt it was a deal that we just couldn't pass up. I know that several members have sights decribing rooms in the different hotels. I've bookmarked a Polynesian website from Tikiman. Does anyone know of a website describing all of the Contemporary's rooms, including the North Garden Wing? :confused:

I have scaned the web and have found many sites that have information on the Contempoary but none were like Tikimans site on the Poly. if you interested just enter " disney's contempoary resort" on your browser and find one that you like.

Upvote 0

GenerationX

We stayed there last year with a Wing - Standard View room. We were in the North wing and, as jmarc63 pointed out, faced the parking lot. While we didn't have the natural beauty of Bay Lake outside our window, we could see the monorail, the castle, and Space Mountain. Frankly, I think my sons preferred this view, because they loved watching the fireworks go off, the castle change colors, and the monorails go by. All from the comfort of our room.

While I'm typing this, I'm also drinking out of my Contemporary Resort refill mug. *aahh* Refreshing!

Upvote 0

jmewin

How lucky!! I love the Contemp!! However it has gotten too expensive for me. It is a great location. If you are in the main building you can watch the monorail and also see the castle. Enjoy!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom