Thoughts on Kilimanjaro Safaris

lunalovegoddess

SilentWindODoom said:
What happens in this third Savannah?

I think the third savannah is the one that is connected to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. After eating there one night, I walked outside to an area where there were zebras, warthogs, and African cattle. The CM was very helpful and he asked if the giraffes had been peeking in my window yet. I smiled and told him that I own a home down here, but someday I would like to stay on-property. We had a very nice chat about the safari and about his home in South Africa. (OK that's slightly off-topic.) The gist of it was that he confirmed for me that the DAK cares about its animals and gives them three savannahs, one of which is off the safari route so that they have some privacy. The lodge savannah is quite peaceful and the hoofed mammals and birds seem content.
As someone who has worked in New England for the zoo & aquarium industry, it makes sense to me that they would reserve a large amount of land that is off-limits to visitors for the safety and mental well-being of the animals. I also would assume that on the borders of that savannah would be the AK lodge and the animal care facility that sometimes you can see from the conservation station train. If anyone who works there can confirm or deny this theory, feel free to comment. :D

Yost Nut Zero

I believe, but am not entirely sure that the North Savannah (which is visible behind the elephant yard from the Safari trucks) is a training/quarrantine area, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure if this connects to AKL or not.

fillerup

The whole Poacher debate, really, is pretty easily settled.

Once you get a look at Little Red - you realize that the "Poachers" are actually Jungle Cruise CMs retrieving one of their own animals.

peter11435

Magister said:
I commented to my family that it seems as if the poachers are no different than Disney, they just wanted to capture a live elephant to exploit at thier own Zoo.

You would be wrong. NO animal was captured to be used at DAK. All if the Animals at AK were either born in captivity or had been in captivity at other zoos for many many years prior to being moved to AK.

peter11435

Yost Nut Zero said:
I believe, but am not entirely sure that the North Savannah (which is visible behind the elephant yard from the Safari trucks) is a training/quarrantine area, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not sure if this connects to AKL or not.

The savannah at the Lodge does not connect to any savannah at AK.

Shanandty

The KS was one of our favourite rides! We went to DW for the first time ever this summer, and we couldn't wait to ride it!

The only complaint I had was our driver was going a little too fast for some of the pictures... they came out a little blurry even with fast shutter speed.

I'd love for them to slow down, but understand there are some areas you just can't stop at... but in a dream world, I would have loved to be able to get out and take some pictures..
(and then run like heck from the lions that were chasing me!!!)

peter11435

Shanandty said:
The KS was one of our favourite rides! We went to DW for the first time ever this summer, and we couldn't wait to ride it!

The only complaint I had was our driver was going a little too fast for some of the pictures... they came out a little blurry even with fast shutter speed.

I'd love for them to slow down, but understand there are some areas you just can't stop at... but in a dream world, I would have loved to be able to get out and take some pictures..
(and then run like heck from the lions that were chasing me!!!)
There is really no where in the ride that they can't stop. However they have to keep the trucks moving to keep guests in line moving also.

LimeSlices

Past Safari Driver

fillerup said:
Besides, once you see Little Red in the truck - it's apparent that the poachers are actually Jungle Cruise CMs who've come to get one of their animals back.

When I read that I cracked up. When I was a CM, we as safari drivers used to go ride the jungle cruise and asked the skipper's animal questions. It was always hilarious because they're script is so standard that they really have no idea. It's a shame thought. I think the constant changes on KS make it great. I really loved working on the Safari. Every Safari was a little different. You are completely right when you say that the driver really makes the whole experience. It's their ability to carry the story that continues the idea of the Disney Fantasy... and their animal knowledge and ability to point them our that give you a different experience each time.
I worked there for about a year in 2002-2003. It was when they made a lot of changes on the ride. When I first started, we were allowed to drive slowly next to the animals. Then they changed it so we had to stop altogether if an animal was within 10 feet from the truck. Has that changed? I was curious.

From what I remember, we'd end up stalling the whole ride because one of the animals wanted to just stare at us. This leads me to my favorite story working at disney. I was driving my favorite truck (Safari 22 - other drivers would agree) and I was having a great safari. We were heading towards the last cattle guard before the geysers and "One Eyed Mary" the ostrich stopped in front of my truck. It seemed that she really enjoyed doing this to me as this has been her 3rd time doing do. As protocol, I called into base and they informed the trainers that we were experiencing this problem. I did natural improve and was talking to my truck. At this point "one eyed mary" came up and started pecking at my door really close to me. Right after this started, a girl - she couldn't have been older than 5 stood up and said "Don't worry Megan! I speak Ostrich!" For the girl to have remembered my name, cracked me up - but here is the greatest part. She started squabbling and squeeking and One Eyed Mary Ran away!!! It was amazing. My whole truck was clapping as I thanked the young girl and brought their attention back to helping little red. When we got to the dock, the whole truck was ecstactic and congratulating the little girl. I even had her come over and take a picture with me. That is by far my favorite memory.

If anyone else is an old Safari Driver on here, what was yours?

-Megan

bcampione

Original Poster
Awesome, Megan! When I was there, the older drivers talked about that. It is so cool to hear it out of the sources mouth! And Safari 22 - that was the best truck in the fleet. And if I remember correctly, the 40's were sooo slow :).

My best memory is definitely one Erik will remember.

My last day at working at KSR, the waterfalls in the final scene flooded that whole area. All the drains were clogged. Our manager had the trucks go through it - this is turn shorted all the trucks microphones and sounds. PANIC? No! It was one of the best days (seriously when looking back it was wicked neat).

EVERY person that had knowledge of how to drive the trucks and/or drive had to emergency come over to the attraction./ Besides it being down for almost an hour, there were 2 people per truck - 1 driving, and the second standing in the passenger area, holding on to the roofs while yelling out the animal facts.

It was honestly hillarious and we did such a good job keeping the passengers happy. It was our day to be free with the script and enjoy the safaris as much as possible.

I will never forget this day. It was the most memorable in the 6 minths I was there.

Irrawaddy Erik

bcampione said:
Awesome, Megan! When I was there, the older drivers talked about that. It is so cool to hear it out of the sources mouth! And Safari 22 - that was the best truck in the fleet. And if I remember correctly, the 40's were sooo slow :).

My best memory is definitely one Erik will remember.

My last day at working at KSR, the waterfalls in the final scene flooded that whole area. All the drains were clogged. Our manager had the trucks go through it - this is turn shorted all the trucks microphones and sounds. PANIC? No! It was one of the best days (seriously when looking back it was wicked neat).

EVERY person that had knowledge of how to drive the trucks and/or drive had to emergency come over to the attraction./ Besides it being down for almost an hour, there were 2 people per truck - 1 driving, and the second standing in the passenger area, holding on to the roofs while yelling out the animal facts.

It was honestly hillarious and we did such a good job keeping the passengers happy. It was our day to be free with the script and enjoy the safaris as much as possible.

I will never forget this day. It was the most memorable in the 6 minths I was there.
Ahh Black Tuesday........When Wilson forgot to show up to work :lookaroun

Nicole

fillerup said:
Besides, once you see Little Red in the truck - it's apparent that the poachers are actually Jungle Cruise CMs who've come to get one of their animals back.

Okay this is one of the funniest things I've heard in ages. :lol:

Ituri13

There are 3 savannahs at AK, 2 of which you pass through on the safari. West Savannah first, then East Savannah.

The Zebras have recently been relocated from West to East, and not too long ago, the Ostriches were relocated from East to West.

Animals currently on West Savannah: Thompson's Gazelle, Impala, Sable Antelope, Ankole Cattle, Reticulated Giraffes, White Bearded Wildebeest, Ostrich

East Savannah: White Rhino, Cheetah, Lion, Scimitar Horned Oryx, Zebra, Patterson's Eland, Warthog

(of course, all this is subject to change, and they are free roaming animals, no guarantee you'll see everything)

So...

Does anyone know what they have on the North Savannah. Also, anyone have a current list of birds found on the safaris?

Courtney488

I'm going to be applying to the College Program this year and I would LOVE to be a CM for Kilimanjaro Safaris. I know a few of you have said you used to work there, did you ask for the role or just luck out? Should you tell the interviewer exactly what attraction you would really like to be at, or do they not like people doing that? Anyone know?

Courtney488

I'm going to be applying to the College Program this year and I would LOVE to be a CM for Kilimanjaro Safaris. I know a few of you have said you used to work there, did you ask for the role or just luck out? Should you tell the interviewer exactly what attraction you would really like to be at, or do they not like people doing that? Anyone know?

...Anyone?

Figment82

When you apply, *tell them* straight out that you want to work the Safari. They will ask you your favorite park, etc. I told them I loved Epcot, and that's where they placed me (however I was merchandise, not ops). I have a friend who was chosen for the Safari for her college program, but she just got it out of the luck of the draw.

Good luck - and have a great time with the program! It was the best 6 months of my life. :)

pintraderpayee

Love the Safari.......mixed feelings about the storyline of Little Red......most :eek: ever was on the Safari, though......about three years ago several of my high school students were on the safari with DH and me, when we spotted one of the male elephants walking our way. The next thing we heard was from a child a couple of seats in front of us ask "Mom, why does that elephant have FIVE legs?" OMG! My students were screaming with laughter into their hands! When the CM tried to distract everyone's attention by saying that an elephant's pregnancy lasts close to two years, someone yells out "HOW LONG?" My students nearly had a break down!!:lol: Watching Animal Planet just didn't prepare us for the reality of nature.

50 days until we are ºoºrlando bound with 21 teens on a school bus for 930 miles of smiles:hammer:

for anyone interested....

this was over 5 years ago but, on our honeymoon my hubby and i took the backstage tour at ak and absolutely loved it. we even got to touch the black rhino through the bars in her holding pen (tour guide approved i assure you). they take you back to the food prep area and show you specifically how they try to coax the male lion onto his rock-not for the faint of heart, but cool none the less.

i highly recommend this tour for anyone who enjoys ak. my family and i are going back down in oct., and i am trying to convince some of them to do the safari dinner thingy for the magical gatherings. anyone done this? is it worth the moola?

Courtney488

When you apply, *tell them* straight out that you want to work the Safari. They will ask you your favorite park, etc. I told them I loved Epcot, and that's where they placed me (however I was merchandise, not ops). I have a friend who was chosen for the Safari for her college program, but she just got it out of the luck of the draw.

Good luck - and have a great time with the program! It was the best 6 months of my life. :)

Thanks! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom