Thoughts - Just Returned

Shouldigo12

The buses are terrible at all the resorts especially when a park closes. If you have a car, you will save A LOT of time driving yourself to the parks. The only exception would be riding the bus to the Magic Kingdom and leaving well before the park closes since the MK bus drops you at the gate instead of the TTC.
I see you've never met me and my mom. We would probably end up in Texas before we made it to one of the parks. ;)

geekza

The buses are terrible at all the resorts especially when a park closes. If you have a car, you will save A LOT of time driving yourself to the parks. The only exception would be riding the bus to the Magic Kingdom and leaving well before the park closes since the MK bus drops you at the gate instead of the TTC.
Since we're driving down in November, I've been trying to decide if I want to bother with the buses much or just drive our own car to the parks. I think, since this is my wife's first visit, I'll at least drive to the MK on our first day, just so she can get the full experience of taking the monorail from the TTC. To me, that was always the thing that let me know that I was in for a great day at Disney. We're at PO:FQ, so we'll definitely drive to Epcot, since it's fairly close. We are skipping DHS, just because it's a mess and the only thing I was interested in was riding ToT. Since it seems to be a bit battered these days, I don't want to have my memories of it tarnished by a less-than-optimal experience. DAK, we'll probably take the bus, since we aren't in a rush that day and won't be there at closing.

worldfanatic

Do you believe that people are renting scooters at the parks just so they don't have to wait in the long bus lines? Like, they don't actually have a condition and can walk just fine, but they're trying to circumvent the system?
Personally I do believe some do this. I've seen more than a few riding the scooters who seem to move pretty good when they get off them.
It's it's not a majority, but there definitely are some lazy, selfish jerks abusing the system.
The the ease of scooter rental has definitely led to this problem.

geekza

Personally I do believe some do this. I've seen more than a few riding the scooters who seem to move pretty good when they get off them.
It's it's not a majority, but there definitely are some lazy, selfish jerks abusing the system.
The the ease of scooter rental has definitely led to this problem.
Then again, some people can be generally okay for walking short distances, but aren't able to comfortably walk long distances or stay on their feet for extended periods of time. I have a friend with MS who still does okay for most of her everyday activities, but starts to have pain and lose her balance when she gets tired or has to exert herself too much. If you just met her and saw her at work, you'd never know that she had MS, but she has to use a scooter when she shops, etc. Some disabilities are not visibly apparent.

With that said, some people are just poopheads.

worldfanatic

Then again, some people can be generally okay for walking short distances, but aren't able to comfortably walk long distances or stay on their feet for extended periods of time. I have a friend with MS who still does okay for most of her everyday activities, but starts to have pain and lose her balance when she gets tired or has to exert herself too much. If you just met her and saw her at work, you'd never know that she had MS, but she has to use a scooter when she shops, etc. Some disabilities are not visibly apparent.

With that said, some people are just poopheads.
Yes, I certainly understand that is the case. I never try to judge who really needs a scooter or not.(actually that's a lie, I do, but I don't say anything or give dirty looks)
However I can pretty much guarantee there are people who are using scooters that really shouldn't.
The huge increase in them around WDW is undeniable.
Fortunately the buses & drivers have gotten much quicker at getting the on & off board.

geekza

All times of the year except for the busiest 1/3 of the year.
If they've gone right around Christmas, that's traditionally busier than any other days of the year. Also, these days, with all of the sports/cheerleading/races, etc. that go on throughout the year, there are points during the non-summer months when the parks get crowded. Crowds aren't just for summer any more.

Kamikaze

If they've gone right around Christmas, that's traditionally busier than any other days of the year. Also, these days, with all of the sports/cheerleading/races, etc. that go on throughout the year, there are points during the non-summer months when the parks get crowded. Crowds aren't just for summer any more.

The weeks surrounding Christmas are busy, yes, but as an average, the period from school vacations in March/April through the end of July is the busiest period of the year. The last two weeks of the year are a quick surge, but early December is much more manageable.

Theres a reason why they've been opening their new attractions in that timeframe.

Minnesota disney fan

Since we're driving down in November, I've been trying to decide if I want to bother with the buses much or just drive our own car to the parks. I think, since this is my wife's first visit, I'll at least drive to the MK on our first day, just so she can get the full experience of taking the monorail from the TTC. To me, that was always the thing that let me know that I was in for a great day at Disney. We're at PO:FQ, so we'll definitely drive to Epcot, since it's fairly close. We are skipping DHS, just because it's a mess and the only thing I was interested in was riding ToT. Since it seems to be a bit battered these days, I don't want to have my memories of it tarnished by a less-than-optimal experience. DAK, we'll probably take the bus, since we aren't in a rush that day and won't be there at closing.

That's a good choice if your wife has never been to WDW before. The approach from the monorail or boat is so special. Before we stayed onsite, we always used the ferryboat. It was so exciting to see the castle get closer and closer:) We also are staying at POFQ, which is a great resort. Have a good trip.

geekza

That's a good choice if your wife has never been to WDW before. The approach from the monorail or boat is so special. Before we stayed onsite, we always used the ferryboat. It was so exciting to see the castle get closer and closer:) We also are staying at POFQ, which is a great resort. Have a good trip.
I love the ferries as well, almost as much as the monorail. Still, the monorail is such a "Disney" thing that I want my wife to have the "full experience." It's been fun planning our days out to try and show her as much as possible. She thinks I'm insane (and I'm not arguing), but she's trusting me with all of the planning and knows that I'll show her the best time possible, within our budget.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom