Thought I read something about Maelstrom?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Okay, forgive me if there's already a post about this somewhere. This is a good-sized forum and all...

I thought I had read somewhere (on this site) that there was speculation or rumor that Maelstrom @ Epcot would be getting a "Frozen" overlay or re-do sometime in the future.

Anyone have any clue as to the validity or truth in this one? I kinda really hope not...but hey...anyone know anything?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Maelstrom is very popular I doubt they would layout the money for the makeover on a ride that people still line up for. There was a makeover of the shops going on to make room for either more princess stuff or a M&G.

Captain Neo

I hope not. You want to do a Snow Que..excuse me "FROZEN" attraction do it at Disneyland, Magic Kingdom or MGM and please leave Epcot and Maelstrom alone. I would like them to improve maelstrom though give it a better ending, refresh the effects and themeing, and maybe extend the ride but that's not gonna happen sadly.

aladdin2007

If it were to happen I dont think it would be anytime soon, the movie would first need to be a pretty big hit, so will have to see how its performance does. They are doing the meetngreet but I dont believe there is any Frozen overlay in the works. They just did a little refreshing of Maelstrom I wrote a report on a couple days ago over in the other Maelstrom thread, minus the waterfall of course. All the rockwork has been redone but no waterfall. For some reason I cant find that thread right now but its here somewhere lol.

Nemo14

If it were to happen I dont think it would be anytime soon, the movie would first need to be a pretty big hit, so will have to see how its performance does. They are doing the meetngreet but I dont believe there is any Frozen overlay in the works. They just did a little refreshing of Maelstrom I wrote a report on a couple days ago over in the other Maelstrom thread, minus the waterfall of course. All the rockwork has been redone but no waterfall. For some reason I cant find that thread right now but its here somewhere lol.

This thread?
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/maelstrom-refurbished.867722/

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
I dunno, I guess maybe I read this on here somwhere and someone had their meet n' greet turned around with the refurb...I mean...you can only hope to heck that things like this wouldn't be true...

Sped2424

Exactly, I could see them doing it only if the movie is a massive success on the same scale of tangled.

Fox&Hound

I know I had posted a while back that I think it would make a great retheme to Maelstrom but it was never a fact-just an idea. I know some of you hate the idea, but personally, I think Maelstrom is an embarrassment for Disney. It's so outdated, has no story, is filthy, and just random. I think it's still popular because it's one of the few rides at EPCOT. It would not hurt my feeling at all if it got redone. I think it would be cool if it was rethemed to Frozen and they pumped the AC, had it fake snow inside, and you rode through scenes from the movie. I don't think it will happen, it's just an idea. And before I get blasted, remember, this is just my opinion =) I know a lot of people love the Norway ride and would not want to see it changed.

Sped2424

I know I had posted a while back that I think it would make a great retheme to Maelstrom but it was never a fact-just an idea. I know some of you hate the idea, but personally, I think Maelstrom is an embarrassment for Disney. It's so outdated, has no story, is filthy, and just random. I think it's still popular because it's one of the few rides at EPCOT. It would not hurt my feeling at all if it got redone. I think it would be cool if it was rethemed to Frozen and they pumped the AC, had it fake snow inside, and you rode through scenes from the movie. I don't think it will happen, it's just an idea. And before I get blasted, remember, this is just my opinion =) I know a lot of people love the Norway ride and would not want to see it changed.
HEY who said this was a place of open discussion with like minded people who would respect others opinions! lol But seriously..I know its like disney/thempark sin but I wouldn't mind a frozen overlay..

It may need a touch up here and there but I don't see a big refurb change
I disagree. World showcase has next to no attractions and it doesn't look like disney are planning on building many if any more, so we need something to excite people, especially younger kids, about world showcase, and a new overlay/retheme is the best way to do this

nytimez

Don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds false simply because Disney just doesn't have a record of acting with this kind of speed, even for properties that are proven and established.

I can see them putting a M&G in or something, but I have a hard time picturing them going through with a full re-do or overlay.

Maelstrom Troll

I honestly can't see this happening due to the recent updates done to one of my favorite rides of all times. That being said, I would be very broken hearted if they ruined a true Epcot classic. I think to really draw the crowds they need to add a thrill ride in the WS or add a brand new dark ride not just a rehash of an older ride.

Sped2424

Don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds false simply because Disney just doesn't have a record of acting with this kind of speed, even for properties that are proven and established.

I can see them putting a M&G in or something, but I have a hard time picturing them going through with a full re-do or overlay.
well disney has done things at this speed before, The beauty and the beast show at Hollywood studios premiered november 22nd 1991 only a couple of days after the film premiered November 13th 1991. Its tough to be a bug opened in animal kingdom april 22nd 1998 and the film came out in November of 1998 the film hadn't even come out yet when the attraction opened. Back in the day they used to promote the animated films in the park quickly and nicely (The Aladdin parade being one of my favorites).

nytimez

well disney has done things at this speed before, The beauty and the beast show at Hollywood studios premiered november 22nd 1991 only a couple of days after the film premiered November 13th 1991. Its tough to be a bug opened in animal kingdom april 22nd 1998 and the film came out in November of 1998 the film hadn't even come out yet when the attraction opened. Back in the day they used to promote the animated films in the park quickly and nicely (The Aladdin parade being one of my favorites).

They have no recent track record of speed on this, is how I should have put it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom