Those that convinced thier significant others to move to FL, how?

Vader2112

How'd you do it? I interned for a year in Disney, loved it, best year ever. I am dying to move back. I keep trying to convince my fiancee to make the move, but she's not having it. She keeps saying her family is here in nj and there'd be no work for her down there (she's currently in grad school to be a therapist)

Did anyone else have a hard time convincing your wife or husband to make the move? If so, what'd it take to get them to go. I was born in NJ, I was raised in NJ, I live in NJ now. But as far as I'm concerned, Florida is home.

I am sick of the crummy weather here, hate the winters, despise them. And she keeps saying what about hurricanes. Would really appreciate some tips, will make the move in a heartbeat.
Im a born and raised NYer. I miss the change of seasons. Tired of the 3 seasons here Hot, Hotter and Hot as Hell. Work here can be scarse depending on your occupation. Unless your employer is transferring you and keeping the rate of pay you earn in NJ it is not worth it. The school system is lackluster although has improved in recent years. Disney, no State income tax, and the Keys are a saving grace. Many people not familar with the state do not realize how spreadout things are as well. Several people have the misconception that Disney World, Miami , the Tampa Bay area and the Florida Keys are all right next to one another.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
How'd you do it? I interned for a year in Disney, loved it, best year ever. I am dying to move back. I keep trying to convince my fiancee to make the move, but she's not having it. She keeps saying her family is here in nj and there'd be no work for her down there (she's currently in grad school to be a therapist)

Did anyone else have a hard time convincing your wife or husband to make the move? If so, what'd it take to get them to go. I was born in NJ, I was raised in NJ, I live in NJ now. But as far as I'm concerned, Florida is home.

I am sick of the crummy weather here, hate the winters, despise them. And she keeps saying what about hurricanes. Would really appreciate some tips, will make the move in a heartbeat.
You sound like me. Only I'm single, so I can move to FL once I'm out of college and not worry about it. Some people actually miss the change of seasons and the cold weather up here. (MD girl) She may legitimately not want to be that far away from her family. Or she could just be nervous about the idea. It's definitely a different life up here than down there.

Keep trying. I feel your pain. Maybe let her get out of grad school first and then talk about it. She'll have to look for a new job then anyway, right? I'm sure there are jobs for therapists down in Orlando.

Hot Lava

The best argument financially is that there is no state income tax.

You sound like me. Only I'm single, so I can move to FL once I'm out of college and not worry about it. Some people actually miss the change of seasons and the cold weather up here.

This is the type of time and circumstance under which it is best to attempt that kind of move. then if it turns out rotten or you hate it, it is relatively easy to move back. I did this myself straight out of college. Hated the place I moved and went home within a month. Once you have kids, mortgage, etc., or are entrenched in a career, it is much, much tougher.

I could live without seeing snow ever again in my life. Don't care if I ever see another season besides sunny and 78. If I could move to Hawaii, I would.

We live in the DC metro and my husband works for a government contractor. His job doesn't exist in Central FL. We could live in Central Florida for about 1/2 of what he makes but in this market it's to risky for a new career field. I'm easy preschool teacher. I can work anywhere.

We had friends who did this - moved from DC down to FL (not Orlando). They have had a really rough time of it, job wise. One of them has been lucky enough to telecommute with their old job, but the other has really struggled with basically a string of contract jobs. At this point, I think they also regret the move.

This would be really hard to do, but if possible the best option would be to move for 2 months or so. Stay in an extended stay hotel/condo. Try out day-to-day life. See how bad the job situation is. See what life it really like in areas you think you would/could live.

danpam1024

Well, she's not your wife ;) kidding :D
I keep begging DH to move OUT of FL- been here all my life and would like to see seasons other than wet and dry (aka Hurricane and Brush Fire). Our deal is we will move after DS graduates in 7 years- DH will have retired by then as well. Good luck!

MOXOMUMD

My best friends parents kinda convinced each other to move to Florida. The hurricanes didn't bother them. They moved back to Ohio because they missed the snow. Whoda thunkit?

Hot Lava

My best friends parents kinda convinced each other to move to Florida. The hurricanes didn't bother them. They moved back to Ohio because they missed the snow. Whoda thunkit?
Blech! Not me! I could go the rest of my life with no snow. I have had more than enough for a lifetime. And in any case, you could just go visit somewhere with snow. Even in Hawaii, you can go to Mauna Kea and Haleakala.

Mickey2minnie1

It has always been my dream to move to Florida. When I met my husband he did not want to go. So the deal was that I would marry him, but once he retired, FL was home. He has 4 - 6 years left before retiring. We are college touring for our oldest this summer and will be able to check out Clearwater, Gainesville, St. Augustine, Deland, and Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom