Those of you from Alabama...

duck_daddy

I live in North Alabama, Guntersville to be exact. It's a little over an hour North of Birmingham. I have never been the sole planner of a Disney trip(usually parents and what not carrying the family). What have ya'll found to be the best route of travel? My grandparents famous route carries us in to Georgia, and through Atlanta, in order to make a straight shot down. Does anyone else have an alternate travel route?:shrug:

Kadee

I guess those of us in Mobile and surrounding areas have it good, I-10 to I-75 to the turnpike. 6.5-7 hours max.

That is exactly what I was just thinking! I'm 20 minutes north of I-10 in Baldwin County. VERY easy drive.........

........EXCEPT PENSACOLA!!! For any of you traveling that have to go through Pensacola, they are STILL doing construction on I-10 (and have been for a while). It can get pretty ugly through there, so watch out!

Hi fellow Alabamians!:wave: I hope all of you have a great time. If any of you are going to be there April 16 - 21, maybe I'll see you there!

Upvote 0

phichi17

That is exactly what I was just thinking! I'm 20 minutes north of I-10 in Baldwin County. VERY easy drive.........

........EXCEPT PENSACOLA!!! For any of you traveling that have to go through Pensacola, they are STILL doing construction on I-10 (and have been for a while). It can get pretty ugly through there, so watch out!

Hi fellow Alabamians!:wave: I hope all of you have a great time. If any of you are going to be there April 16 - 21, maybe I'll see you there!
Hey, we will be there from the 20-23 of April...enjoy!! I know a lot of folks around here are going at that time due to spring break.

Upvote 0

fjm777

We live in north Mississippi and have driven to Disney 7 times in the last 5 years. We always take I-65 south to Birmingham, then I-20 to Atlanta, then I-75 to Orlando. It is 751 miles and total driving time is 11 hours and 30 minutes NOT including eating and bathroom breaks. Birmingham is 2 hours and 45 minutes from where I live. I have a friend who has tried different routes through the years and he told me no route is as good as the one I take. So I am sticking with what works.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

stankypoo2433

I know this may be late, but...I used to live in T0Town and we would take this route every time we went to Disney World. Hop on I-65 to Mongomery, then take HWY 231 South (Troy Highway) to Dothan. At Dothan take HWY 84 East. This is a quicker route than going all the way down to I-10 and the roads are smooth and traffic is scarce! Now, you could either get on HWY 27 South which will take you on the east side of BUSY/TRAFFIC JAMMED Tallahassee, OR you could keep on HWY 84 all the way to VALDOSTA and get on I-75 South for a straight shot to the turnpike. Miles before you get to the I-4 exit off the turnpike, you will see an exit for the Western Beltway/Expressway which is actually County Hwy 429. This will take you by the Disney Western Way Exit which in my experience saves about 1/2 an hour of traffic on I-4. I deffinitely recomend the Western Expressway because it is only $1.50 to access and at one point on the wide open, smooth, new and unoccupied road you can see the Magic Kingdom, Space Mountain, The Contemporary, Swan/Dolphin, Spaceship Earth, Tower of Terror in the distance. The Western Way enters property with a LARGE WELCOMING ENTRANCE SIGN and you end up at Buena Vista Drive between the Coronado Springs and Animal Kingdom. The road is so untraveled that you feel like it is your own personal and private entrance!!! How Cool is That? Talk about chills, when we went in January we took this route and when we saw the World from that far off it made us feel like we were HOME!!! I hope you will consider this route, because I feel it will save you time and frustration of the big city traffic plus these roads are smooth and safe. Have a wonderful vacation and a safe journey!

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

He is a link for the Georgia Navigator http://http://www.georgia-navigator.com/ . This has all the construction that is planed, and can be searched for by interstate (I-75, I-95, I-20 etc...). This site also has the accidents around the state, not much use when traveling, but can tell you if an 18 wheeler has crashed and the whole interstate will be blocked for hours. As someone who lives in the Atlanta area the interstate between Macon and Atlanta gets really backed up around Easter Sunday in the afternoon. It has been bumper to bumper all the way from 285 in Atlanta to 475 in Macon (60 miles), just because of the volume of cars.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom