Thomson's Gazelle leaving the Safari next week.

steve76

Which make me wonder why we haven't seen/heard of any animal mating being spotted on the safari (e.g. Elephant), does Disney do something to discourage this?

I think I'm right in saying (someone correct me if not...) that there are separate enclosures for male and females. The same, I believe, is true of the hippos. The map here shows that there are separate enclosures. As for the rest of the savannah animals, I don't know...

RSoxNo1

Perhaps it's the same reason why there's Komodo Dragons in the foothills of the Himalayas over at Maharajah Jungle Trek

Maharajah Jungle Trek isn't mean to take place in Nepal is it? My understanding was that the two separate villages (Anandapur and Serka Zong) were meant to be different regions of Asia.

Sorry to be completely obscure, but this seems a good crowd to ask.

Any chance of hyena's at AK? I love those, and my local zoo desn't have them.

Probably not anytime soon. There was talk of them (and several other parkwide animal changes) back before Avatar was ... well ... whatever Avatar is. But I highly doubt any of those are on the table now.

During initial planning for the Safari, I believe animals like Gemsboks, Hyenas and African Wild Dogs were all considered, but space issues and potential agression issues came about. I believe the Gemsboks didn't play well with the other savannah animals, and the Hyenas and Wild Dogs would obviously have to be separated with larger environments. My guess is that cost become an issue there.

I could see Hyenas being added to the Pangani Forest walk through somehow, they are referenced in the research center.

The Empress Lilly

Probably not anytime soon. There was talk of them (and several other parkwide animal changes) back before Avatar was ... well ... whatever Avatar is. But I highly doubt any of those are on the table now.
A curse on Avatar then! :cry:

I prefer lots of new animals instead! I love DAK where it gets animal exhibits right. It shouldn't be afraid to be a zoo. It should strive to be 'a zoo' the way EPCOT is a 'theme park'.

Bearcats!
My local zoo's got those! :sohappy:

Fascinating creatures. But not really the most exciting to look at. I don't think I ever really was tempted to hang out to observe them for any lenghty amount of time.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I think they should take a section and devote it to house cats...on the Serengeti. Go to all the local shelters and rescue all the cats from being put down and put them out on the plain...with maybe a joke litter box here and there. Then they could advertise about all the cats on the safari... The one good thing about this is that you might actually see a cat fight and/or cat chase on the safari. Which make me wonder why we haven't seen/heard of any animal mating being spotted on the safari (e.g. Elephant), does Disney do something to discourage this?

The African Elephant we saw the other day had a 5th leg.

"To your right is clearly a male elephant. No doubt about that on today's safari. "

The Duck

A zookeeper friend told me about the time that the African elephants were mating in public at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. Her friend (who conducted the tour) announced over the loud speaker, "Well, there's another one jacked-up for repairs!".

FigmentJedi

Maharajah Jungle Trek isn't mean to take place in Nepal is it? My understanding was that the two separate villages (Anandapur and Serka Zong) were meant to be different regions of Asia.
Nope, Serka Zong is a part of the overall Kingdom of Anandapur. Anandapur follows in the old Disney tradition of mash-up settings and misplaced creatures that gave us prickly-pears and orangutans in the middle of India in Jungle Book or giant anteaters in Lion King.

Bolna

Perhaps it's the same reason why there's Komodo Dragons in the foothills of the Himalayas over at Maharajah Jungle Trek

There is a sign explaining that the Komodo Dragon was a gift to the Maharajah's family - so it is explained as an animal display of an imported animal on the trail which otherwise showcases the area's natural wildlife.

Something similar is done for the Okapi in Africa if I remember correctly as those are not native to East Africa either, but to Central Africa.

When I was on the Wild by Design tour they did take great care in explaining how the animals did fit with the story line.

Mrs. Jobson

There was always mating going on! Girraffes, Elephants, Rhinos, and Monkies, you name it. Saw it all.

As for the Hyenas, they were too dangerous and were a liability. It is true that some of the females and males are seperated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom