Thomson's Gazelle leaving the Safari next week.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I heard they will no longer be on the tour. They will still be at the park. Just not for the ride.

More viewing being added? Part of the Trek? Moved to the Hotel savannah view?

The Duck

I liked the tommies but they're so small that sometimes they were hard to spot on the safari. I would love to see some greater kudu added one day. They're huge AND gorgeous animals so there would be no missing them.

Tip Top Club

There are Greater Kudu in the Ituri Forest section.

The tommies are moving to the lodge because they are a bit old for the tour. Look for some animals to replace them on the tour by the end of the year.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm surprised to see them leaving because they are one of the popular animals that guests like to see.

djkidkaz

I'm surprised to see them leaving because they are one of the popular animals that guests like to see.

I agree! I love the tommies as they stand out among that scene of the safari because everything else on the savannah are such large animals.

The Duck

There are Greater Kudu in the Ituri Forest section.

The tommies are moving to the lodge because they are a bit old for the tour. Look for some animals to replace them on the tour by the end of the year.

You're right about the kudu. Last visit, I didn't see them and I forgot they were there.

Bolna

I recall one of the managers telling us that Springbuck would be replacing them. Not totally sure on the change, but that is what I heard.

That is interesting - they actually look rather similar, but they are natives of South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. The Thomson's Gazelles are native of East Africa. So far the Safari does take place in East Africa - not sure whether they actually change it to taking place in South Africa now? Otherwise they really have a huge problem to explain the presence of Springbok there.

If the Thomson's Gazelles move to the Lodge, I think they will be a wonderful addition to that savanna though.

Tip Top Club

...Many of the animals on the reserve don't live in East Africa, that being said, East Africa is vague enough that that doesn't really matter.

FigmentJedi

That is interesting - they actually look rather similar, but they are natives of South Africa, Namibia and Botswana. The Thomson's Gazelles are native of East Africa. So far the Safari does take place in East Africa - not sure whether they actually change it to taking place in South Africa now? Otherwise they really have a huge problem to explain the presence of Springbok there. .

Perhaps it's the same reason why there's Komodo Dragons in the foothills of the Himalayas over at Maharajah Jungle Trek

Tip Top Club

Probably not anytime soon. There was talk of them (and several other parkwide animal changes) back before Avatar was ... well ... whatever Avatar is. But I highly doubt any of those are on the table now.

The Duck

Sorry to be completely obscure, but this seems a good crowd to ask.

Any chance of hyena's at AK? I love those, and my local zoo desn't have them.

Busch Gardens has/had spotted hyenas but I haven't been there in years so they may be gone by now. My local zoo once had striped hyenas and since all hyenas are nocturnal, they slept all day and all you could see was a lump of hair curled up in the corner. IMHO, hyenas are only interesting in nature documentaries or in Disney cartoons. Otherwise, they're painfully dull.

JeffH

Seriously, NOT

I think they should take a section and devote it to house cats...on the Serengeti. Go to all the local shelters and rescue all the cats from being put down and put them out on the plain...with maybe a joke litter box here and there. Then they could advertise about all the cats on the safari... The one good thing about this is that you might actually see a cat fight and/or cat chase on the safari. Which make me wonder why we haven't seen/heard of any animal mating being spotted on the safari (e.g. Elephant), does Disney do something to discourage this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom