This part of Eddie Van Halen’s solo reminds me of Horizons

donaldtoo

Not getting the Horizons connection, as per the post above (I was 20 in ‘82 and remember it well).
But, he was a beyond amazing musician. He could play 16th notes on the guitar with one finger.
Both he and his brother Alex were classically trained from a young age, then drifted into rock.
You can hear the classical influence in so many of his guitar solos.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
The instrumental Cathedral was on the album Diver Down released in 1982 and by multiple accounts Eddie Van Halen had been playing a version of it at concerts for a few years prior. Horizons opened in 1983.
I obviously didn’t look into it enough. Then the Horizons guys just had a good taste in music.

celluloid

I can hear the vibe, and I can also hear a vibe, likely a sign of the times of old EPCOT Center TV Specials from the parks early years in BIlly Joel's The Entertainer. Makes me want Tomorrowland Terrace with Michael Iseberg too.

Nothing like Rock and Synth.

Skibum1970

It seems that during the part of the early 80s synthesizers were a big thing especially in this one for Epcot..

Synth's were huge. Van Halen went that way with "Jump" in 1984 and other groups stayed the same. One could argue that synthesizing was synonymous for the 80's as a whole. Of course, I liked the sounds and preferred groups like Rush, among others, who blended everything together. Listening to the Epcot 40th Anniversary soundtracks on Youtube showed how much synth was used and was probably why I enjoyed it so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom