Trip Report This Is Not The Disney World I Remember

I can’t believe what’s happened to this place.

I've given myself time to cool down and get perspective on what was a surprisingly negative experience at WDW. It was so different from when I was there with my family in 2015 that I felt compelled to post about it. And to send a warning to parents who may not know about the "FastPass" system the park has.

Parents with small kids - read and take heed.

in 2015 my wife and 3 kids (all under 13) had a wonderful time at the park, even without using the FastPass feature. Yes, we waited for the major attractions like everyone else and saw a small group of FastPass users go in front of us from time to time. I opted not to use this feature because as you parents know, trying to plan a day with kids that age is a chore at best.

Last week (July 12, 2019) we went back and I was stunned at how different things were.

For starters it took an entire hour from the time we parked to get into the park. The outside ticket queue was very long and not all of the ticket windows were open. It was brutally hot and as we stood there people around us began to get dizzy and show the effects of standing in line for so long. One poor little girl got violently ill in line and it took a good 12 minutes or so for a staffer to clean it up.

Inside the park our experience went from bad to worse.

It became clear that Cast Members were operating under instructions to do everything they could to move FastPass holders through the lines quickly and ignore the huge number of "Standby" guests. "Standby" is just that now – you will stand by and watch dozens of people drift by as you stand still for 15 minutes or more at a stretch. At the Buzz Lightyear ride, I watched a CM let 72 FastPass people go by without letting a single Standby person in. When I asked what ratio he was using (he had a hand-counter) he said 10-1. Let that sink in for a minute... ten-to-one. And they would wait for FastPass guests too. At times the FastPass side of the queue would be completely empty for 5-7 minutes and still they would not allow any Standbys to pass.

Wait times became excruciating as the day progressed, reaching a conclusion at Space Mountain. One entire half of the final queue was 90% empty with the other completely full (pics below). When I asked a CM why the very long waits between Standbys being let through, he said "we're waiting for any FastPass holders that might come through.” I asked him what the ratio was supposed to be. He said "I'm not supposed to tell you that.. I can't give you that information.”

I kid you not, a Disney (Disney!) Cast Member gave me the Need-To-Know-Basis line.

After researching it a bit (because I had a lot of time on my hands in line) I discovered Disney gives first dibs on these to Disney Resort guests first – sometimes as much as 60 days in advance. It funnels down from there.

I don't fault the CMs. They’re just following direction and seems they have it hard enough if Abigail Disney's recent trip is any indication. And I don’t have any ill-will toward the FastPass users - hey it’s not their fault the park has changed up it’s crowd-control (let’s be honest: tracking) measures to completely favor them at the expense of everyone else.

Through the day I tried my best not to let it all get to me in the moment so it wouldn’t rub off on the kids. I wanted them to have positive memories despite the caste system we’d found ourselves at the bottom of in The Happiest Place On Earth.

I get it – Disney wants to "Maximize Customer Value" which is marketing jargon for getting guests to spend as much as possible at every turn through any means necessary.

But the effect, the experience in the “Magic” kingdom left me feeling like a swindled second-class citizen as I got on the monorail at the end of the day. A have-not in a place that’s charged me $117 a ticket to spend most of the day in line and fork-over $4.00 for a Coke. No FastPass? Sorry - you should have thought of that weeks ago or booked a room at one of our resorts for $500 a night. Now get in line chump.

The Mouse is still doing his best to cast a magical spell on it’s guests.

But these days it’s not your heart he wants to win over.

It’s your wallet.

Attachments

• SM-1.jpg
    SM-1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 254
  • SM-2.jpg
    SM-2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 260

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
No. I do not expect a CM to change the rules right then and there. Nor am I focused just on Space Mountain. My point is that I believe the current FP/SB system is not a good one and Disney does a poor job of proactively educating everyone about how it functions. I believe if it were delivering on those two points effectively, you would not see the volume of negative comments/reviews that are online. And I certainly wouldn't have seen as many unhappy people in the park that day that, like me, were totally caught off-guard.

To me you do not have valid points considering you went in 2015 and the same exact system was in place then and you're telling us you were prefertly happy.
If you could not look at the website for a few minutes prior to your trip to know what it is and how it works then that's on you (the collective you since so many seem to be in the dark).

aaron611

YES. This. The terms of how we, those paying large sums of money to Disney to visit the park, are becoming exceptionally prescriptive. The suggestions (all well-meaning mind you) I've gotten on this thread on how to go about using FB are remarkable in their complexity and strategy. 60 days. 30 days. Park Hopper. Refresh the app. Book a ride and immediately after getting in line refresh and try another attraction. Buy in advance and book. And so forth.

Everyone is trying to Game The System in one form or another.

Admirable, since that's the reality, but why does it have to be like that?

Yeah, it’s pretty ridiculous. But unless they start limiting the number of people in the park, there will always be horribly long lines.

So any system is going to be inadequate.

As for me, I just study the current system and try to maximize my family’s experience. My kids end up riding way more rides than most, but that’s a result of me compulsively wearing the app out all week.

HuricaneHanna

YES. This. The terms of how we, those paying large sums of money to Disney to visit the park, are becoming exceptionally prescriptive. The suggestions (all well-meaning mind you) I've gotten on this thread on how to go about using FB are remarkable in their complexity and strategy. 60 days. 30 days. Park Hopper. Refresh the app. Book a ride and immediately after getting in line refresh and try another attraction. Buy in advance and book. And so forth.

Everyone is trying to Game The System in one form or another.

Admirable, since that's the reality, but why does it have to be like that?
No one is telling you to "Game The System". Buying tickets in advance in order to book Fastpasses, adding more Fastpasses after you use them, refreshing the app to help you accomplish this, those things ARE the system. People here are trying to tell you that you were not properly prepared for your trip. This was YOUR fault, not Disney's. Things change. How many things in your life are exactly as they were in 2015? I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip. Next time do some research.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom