This ever happen to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsbunny

Original Poster
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not trying to be mean, but this is the reality of the shape of humans today.

While WDW tries its utmost to accomidate handicapped people, there is an alarming trend where "grossly obese" is considered handicapped by some people. Meaning, you are just so large you cannot function as a normal person and your trip to WDW is not going to be pleasant.

While I feel for these people, it just seems that the reality of their situation apparently means they are OK to defy the laws of physics, in their mind.

Not only this, I really am fed up with people complaining about how small the seats are or that they can't get in/out of the ride comfortably. And their defiance of simple logic thereby holds everyone else up from having a good time. How?

While riding the Jungle Cruise, I notice that there was a family in front of us with a woman in a double wide wheel chair that was easily 500 lbs. They let her on the boat and needless to say, they could not get her out. We were stuck behind her for 30 MINUTES while they tried to get her out. Being a fireman for a long time, I have dealt with people so large we had to cut their walls out to get them out. So my heart felt sympathy went out to the CM's and their valient effort.

But the family and the person could not be any more stupid. It is a huge step down plus she is already in a wheel chair. Why would they even let her on the ride??

I also observed one time a woman stuck in one of the seat at the Muppet theater. We were coming in while she was still stuck from the last show. They tried and tried but gave up once it started. So she had to sit there for that show, too and I guess they tried again after that.

In another instance, but at Busch Gardens, a 500+ lbs man got on Apollos Chariot rollercoaster. The safety t-bar couldn't close over his belly correctly. So rather then get off, his wife jammed it into him.

So it jammed and also stopped the entire coaster. Nobody coud get in or out and we were all trapped for 30+ minutes out there in the hot July sun just roasting. I wanted to kill them both for their stupidity!

Please don't think I am busting on overweight people. I know that it can be a sickness not easily overcome, but does that stop overweight people from using their brain?

Any one else?

lukacseven

I was on a ride at another Orlando park where an overweight man tried unsuccessfully to fit into one of the ride vehicles (Hanna-Barbera), and after a few minutes of drawing complete attention to himself and really annoying the others on the ride, he was asked by a park employee to simply sit on a stationary bench included in the theater. I completely understand what you are saying and I feel for those people who have serious health problems, but to others, laziness is not a disability.

BrerWolf

i think these sort of people with the hollow heads, they dont mean to do it intentionally, but they just dont know any better. While we are on the subject of "handicapped peoples", i want to add this. There have been numerous times in which we are walking in the park (this mainly applies to fantasyland) and with 25,000 strollers around, these people in the motorized whellchairs are plowing around in those dumb things like they own the park, and on one instance, they just about hit someone, not to mention, they were beeping the horn on it. So basically, in May heat in Orlando, you are walking in this stroller infested place and your clumped up because there is peeps everywhere, and then for the icing on the cake you get these people that think they own the place driving around trying to get through this crowded place, and not to mention they are HONKING the horns on the stupid things! Im very very sorry, but that just really annoys me!! And im sure others have experinced this too.

I hope you know that im not getting all over peeps w/ wheelchairs, i respect them, but it would be ohh soo nice if they would just be polite to one another, especially in crowded areas like fantasyland.

lukacseven

I've also seen on several occasions where a family (usualy white trash) will get a wheel chair and take turns pushing one another around in an attempt to jump the long queue lines. I'd see one person in the chair being pushed around, and a few hours later that same person is pushing a different person, and so on. Then I see people with huge knee braces standing with crutches in the long lines. Has the policy on line jumping for wheelchair/handicapped guests changed at all. I really haven't noticed as many people in recent years hopping to the front of the line as I used to. I've also seen groups of adults and/or older chldren bring in big coolers and rent strollers so they could push their collers around in. I think Disney needs to take a look at some things like this and better regulate it.

Lynx04

I agree it is a complete perversion of the handcap system. There are people out there with real disabilities and should get special assistence. However, people who are just plan lazy and don't want to walk around the park because of their laziness are deplurable. I think one of the greatest things about going to the park is to walk around. Some people who complain about not having enough time to work out or don't have to take walks finialy get their time to get a nice work out.

I have a family member who has chronic bronchatusis (SP), accute Asthma, has to carry a portable breathing treatment and all that other stuff. She had a doctors notes stating that she should use a wheelchair in the parks. During our whole week long trip she never used the a wheelchair once. We had to stop sometimes so she could get her breath, but she refused to sit in a wheelchair and be pushed around. In fact when she returned home and visited her doctor she had a some improvment in breathing. I think overweight people should take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy themselves while being active.

gobuckeye@wdw

Account Suspended
I've had that happen to me (and Indy95 and his family) before!!!!!!

We were at E-Ride night and it was 1:57 (park closed @ 11) so we wanted to get one more ride on Space Mountain in before the park closed. So we hurry into line just before the CM put up the chain to close the ride. SO we literally walk right on the ride and about 5 cars in front of us there is this HUGE lady. She was so big that the lap bar didn't even go down AT ALL!!!!

So they finally get her in the seat somehow and send that car off. Then comes our car and we get on about a minute later. As we were going through the ride everything was perfectly normal. Then as we got just before the last tunnel we stopped!!!!! We sat there in the dark for about 5 min. with no noise at all which was kind of erie!!!! Then all of a sudden all of the lights were turned on and we went through the last 30 sec. of the ride with all of the lights on!!!!!! Obviously, they could not get the lady out of the car and all of the cars got backed up and the system shut down!!!!!!

It was pretty sweet though to be a part of the exclusive "Space Mountain lights on CLUB"!!!!!!!:king:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I know exactly what you are talking about. When someone is in a cart because they have MS or are missing a leg etc that is one thing. Those people truly need help getting around. But when I see people whose only ailment is that they can’t stop shoveling food in their mouth using a cart I really get mad. Now I know there are people with medical conditions that cause them to gain weight but they are a small percentage of the overweight persons using the carts. These are the same people that get wedged into the ride seats and can’t get out and then blame everyone else for it. Just get out of your little cart walk around, have a salad instead of that large pizza and quit blaming everyone else for your problem.

TAC

It's also true that some of the calorically challenged ask for a bottle cap from the CM at Guest Relations/stroller rental/ECV rental, so that they don't keep the horn button pressed.

egionet

I got sent this in an email, and I think it sums up what some CMs feel about the excessively overweight people. And as a former Fantasyland attractions CM, I get a huge kick out of this. Keep in mind:
1. This is all fictional
2. Track talk does actually happen every morning and night in Fantasyland
3. Greg, Wayne, and Kimmi are real GSMs for operations in Fantasyland

ENJOY and Happy Holidays!!!

'Twas the night before Christmas,
The Magic Kingdom was quiet.
All Cast Members were preparing
For the oncoming riot.
-
Cast Members went to track talk,
In the attempt to prepare.
But the conversations at track talk
Left all Cast Members in dispare!
-
Guests came through the gates.
Time for business at hand.
The majority of the Guests
Went to Fantasyland!
-
Like any Christmas,
There's always a "Scrooge".
This Christmas was a fat woman
From Baton Rouge!
-
Peter Pan was scared "straight"!
Winnie the Pooh said "Oh Dear!"
Mad Tea Party and Snow White Scary Adventures had plenty to fear!
-
She waddled to Dumbo.
She just wouldn't fit.
The Cast Members at that attraction
Wound up taking alot of her ____*t!
-
The Managers were notified.
The Cast Members would chatter.
The Managers ran to Dumbo
To see what was the matter!
-
The woman was screaming.
She really got hot!
It wasn't their fault.
A small woman, she's not!
-
Greg assessed the situation.
Wayne's patience wearing thin!
"Kimmi, butter her hips!
Wayne and I'll pop her in!"
-
The attraction was started.
Dumbo started to fly.
But in the case of her Dumbo,
Laws of physics did apply!
-
The ride was over.
How ed was she now?
Her Dumbo wouldn't fly!
She was too fat, and how!
-
"We did what we could.
You went on the ride!
Even your Dumbo
Had started to cry!"
-
"I want to be happy",
the fat woman replied.
"What can I do
To enjoy a ride?"
-
"If you go to the Crystal Palace,
And this is just a suggestion.
They'll get you 3 chairs
and exceed your expectations!"
-
She started to calm down,
maybe even relax!
Wayne even gave her a bar
of Exlax!
-
They woman was happy.
She really felt good!
They had hoped Crystal Palace
Had enough food!
-
Problem resolved.
Everything was made right!
Merry Christmas to all,
And to all a good night!

gobuckeye@wdw

Account Suspended
Master Yoda said:
I know exactly what you are talking about. When someone is in a cart because they have MS or are missing a leg etc that is one thing. Those people truly need help getting around. But when I see people whose only ailment is that they can’t stop shoveling food in their mouth using a cart I really get mad. Now I know there are people with medical conditions that cause them to gain weight but they are a small percentage of the overweight persons using the carts. These are the same people that get wedged into the ride seats and can’t get out and then blame everyone else for it. Just get out of your little cart walk around, have a salad instead of that large pizza and quit blaming everyone else for your problem.
I agree with the first part of your statement (wheelchairs should just be for those who really need them)......... BUT please take it easy when you are talking about people who are fairly large. Sometimes it is not a matter of how much you eat it is just the case of how quickly your body can process the food. I agree, that these people should know their limitations and not risk their safety or the safety of others by boarding a ride that may be difficult to get on or off of.

The more I think about my SM situation the more it worries me. What if Disney had not installed such a sophisticated computer system and because that lady ccould not get out many cars crashed into eachother because of the back up. I know it would never happen but there is always that "what if?"

However, I don't think we should blast these people on these forums!!! Please, keep it within reason and just stick to the topic.

Thanks,
PS: HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
gobuckeye@wdw said:
I agree with the first part of your statement (wheelchairs should just be for those who really need them)......... BUT please take it easy when you are talking about people who are fairly large. Sometimes it is not a matter of how much you eat it is just the case of how quickly your body can process the food. I agree, that these people should know their limitations and not risk their safety or the safety of others by boarding a ride that may be difficult to get on or off of.

However, I don't think we should blast these people on these forums!!! Please, keep it within reason and just stick to the topic.
That is why I prefaced it with “some people have medical conditions that make them gain weight”. I have absolutely no problem waiting for or assisting someone that has an injury/condition forced upon them, but when someone whose condition is self inflicted and it is forced upon me I take exception to that. Three weeks ago when I was staying at POR I had to wait nearly 20 min for two people to load up their carts onto a Disney bus. These peoples only ailment was that they were grossly overweight. The final nail in the coffin was that both of them had enough junk food packed into the baskets on the front of their carts to feed a small country.

BeachClubVillas

I truly think this is the most mean-spirited thread I have ever seen on this board, and none of these comments have any place anywhere on this board if you ask me. It is not up to you to pass judgment on anyone else. No one made you judge and jury. Yes, some people abuse the wheelchair policy and it is sad, but how does it hurt you guys in particular? As barnum was so kind to point out, wheelchairs do not get to the front of every line. FYI, bigger people are still people with feelings and still deserve respect.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
BeachClubVillas said:
I truly think this is the most mean-spirited thread I have ever seen on this board, and none of these comments have any place anywhere on this board if you ask me. It is not up to you to pass judgment on anyone else. No one made you judge and jury. Yes, some people abuse the wheelchair policy and it is sad, but how does it hurt you guys in particular? As barnum was so kind to point out, wheelchairs do not get to the front of every line. FYI, bigger people are still people with feelings and still deserve respect.
It is mean spirited in the sense that we are singling out a particular group of individuals some of which do have legitimate problems that are not of there own doing. However those that abuse the system or make their self induced problem my problem are what this thread is about. If I was dumb enough to stick my head through the bars in a fence and get it stuck causing a major problem to every one around me I would expect those around me to be angry with me. The same should hold true for someone that weighs 400 lbs wedging themselves into a spot designed for someone half that size and then getting stuck. Common sense should come into play and that person should not get on that ride. Unfortunately Disney can’t deny these people from trying squeeze themselves into it anyway because of the abuse of the ADA. I don’t think it is possible to design restraint systems on thrill rides that will fit every body type.

Legacy

Master Yoda said:
It is mean spirited in the sense that we are singling out a particular group of individuals some of which do have legitimate problems that are not of there own doing. However those that abuse the system or make their self induced problem my problem are what this thread is about. If I was dumb enough to stick my head through the bars in a fence and get it stuck causing a major problem to every one around me I would expect those around me to be angry with me. The same should hold true for someone that weighs 400 lbs wedging themselves into a spot designed for someone half that size and then getting stuck. Common sense should come into play and that person should not get on that ride. Unfortunately Disney can’t deny these people from trying squeeze themselves into it anyway because of the abuse of the ADA. I don’t think it is possible to design restraint systems on thrill rides that will fit every body type.
But just because they inconvience you doesn't mean they don't deserve a chance to experience the magic. Obviously, they want to be at Disney. If they didn't they wouldn't be there. They paid the money so have just as much right as you do to enjoy the experience. Imagine how you would feel if you were in their situation.

Even though I can't fathom allowing myself to get that big, I still feel sorry for them because they CAN'T experience what I can. Regardless of if it's self-inflicted or natural, it's a compassion thing.

tigger248

Oh my goodness. I just read through this thread and I find many of these comments to be quite rude. I have been angered at overweight people, but I've also been angered by average and underweight people. Just because of an occasional instance where someone who happens to be overweight cuts you off, or delays your day a few minutes, doesn't mean a thread bashing all overweight people should be created. This thread, to me, suggests that overweight people shouldn't go to WDW. What right does anyone here have to make that decision for these people? If safety were a concern, the cms would be required to not allow them on the ride. Obviously, in these cases, safety hasn't been an issue as they have been allowed to ride. I think the signs even state that the ride harness may not fit exceptionally large individuals. Sometimes, seatbelt extensions can be used, othertimes they can't.

I am not overweight, but many of my family members are. It's not something they can necessarily help. Sure, exercise would do them good, but excess weight makes it harder for their feet and back to allow them to get a lot of excercise. My grandparents last went in 2002. My grandma is overweight and she tried to just walk through the parks. For 3 days, she didn't even make it half way through the day before her back hurt so bad she had to leave. On their fourth (and last) day, we finally talked her into renting a wheelchair (she hadn't wanted to). That was the only day she really enjoyed and was able to make it the entire day.

I am seriously against wheelchair abusers, as I have stated before. Laziness isn't something I can necessarily tolerate (especially since my disabled brother's wheelchair was stolen by a woman who was tired of walking and "thought no one was using it" when we parked it next to a ride entrance to enjoy the ride. It only had our name on it, and she grabbed it so fast that I wouldn't be surprised if she'd seen us park it.)

By the way, Barnum, thanks for re-posting your post on wheelchair policies. Anytime we can help people see the truth to wheelchair policies is great and it helps people to (hopefully) not abuse the system.

I think, we should all try to be a little more understanding. Often those who this thread is complaining about can't help their conditions. Maybe we should pray for those who can help it, too.

tigger248

lukacseven said:
I've also seen on several occasions where a family (usualy white trash) will get a wheel chair and take turns pushing one another around in an attempt to jump the long queue lines. I'd see one person in the chair being pushed around, and a few hours later that same person is pushing a different person, and so on. Then I see people with huge knee braces standing with crutches in the long lines. Has the policy on line jumping for wheelchair/handicapped guests changed at all. I really haven't noticed as many people in recent years hopping to the front of the line as I used to. I've also seen groups of adults and/or older chldren bring in big coolers and rent strollers so they could push their collers around in. I think Disney needs to take a look at some things like this and better regulate it.

I don't like the term "white trash". I find it extremely degrading, especially to those from the south (who it's often termed for). What made you judge them as white trash? Because you disagreed with their ethics? I don't like wheelchair abusers either, but that doesn't make them white trash.

gobuckeye@wdw

Account Suspended
Master Yoda said:
That is why I prefaced it with “some people have medical conditions that make them gain weight”. I have absolutely no problem waiting for or assisting someone that has an injury/condition forced upon them, but when someone whose condition is self inflicted and it is forced upon me I take exception to that. Three weeks ago when I was staying at POR I had to wait nearly 20 min for two people to load up their carts onto a Disney bus. These peoples only ailment was that they were grossly overweight. The final nail in the coffin was that both of them had enough junk food packed into the baskets on the front of their carts to feed a small country.
Dude, who cares? It's 20 friggin minutes!!!!!!! Seriously, your comments are sooo rediculous and should have no place here. You completely contradicted yourself by beinning your thread with saying "some people have medical conditions that make them gain weight" and then you go off on the people who held up your precious bus ride and said and I quote "both of them had enough junk food packed into the baskets on the front of their carts to feed a small country!!!!"

Seriously, sometimes you have to look in the mirror and place yourself in their situation. Do you honestly think that these people purposely get fat just to make you unhappy? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!!! I think it is time you calm down and finally realize that nothing good can come from your shallow comments.

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

cru5h

I know I've been ed off way more times by people of average weight than overweights at Disney World. But I don't think he made this post to be an A-hole. It is a public forum. You don't have to like everything everyone has to say, and he doesn't have to like every comment either. 3 page dissertations hoping to change his point of view are probably pointless.

gobuckeye@wdw

Account Suspended
cru5h said:
I know I've been ed off way more times by people of average weight than overweights at Disney World. But I don't think he made this post to be an A-hole. It is a public forum. You don't have to like everything everyone has to say, and he doesn't have to like every comment either. 3 page dissertations hoping to change his point of view are probably pointless.
I'm not trying to change his point of view because I know it is HOPELESS!!!! I know it is a public forum but there is no reason for him to add so much detail to his stories. Ok we get it the people are large and they bring a lot of food with them. SOOOOOO who cares?

Also, I am not saying that only overweight people cause problems. Where did you get that from? Trust me, I have been ed off as well by people of average weight!!!!! It really doesn't matter to me!!!!! I am a very impatient person (i'll admit that) but I would never get angry at another person for something that isn't in their control!!!!! Unless, that bus was taking a person who was having a stroke to the hospital, you (master yoda) have no right to make fun of these people for holding up your bus!!!! And don't you dare say you weren't making fun of them, I quote "enough junk food to feed a small country"!!!!!

I realize I don't have to like what everyone else says but....... a stupid post like that just kind of irks me a little bit!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom