thinking about the businesses around Disneyland- Opportunity for Disney?

SirWillow

Original Poster
Sitting here thinking about how many of the businesses around Disneyland are likely to not survive the long closures. I'm really afraid for how many of the restaurants, stores and hotels will have closed up, gone bankrupt, and not return. It's going to be ugly.

But started to wonder a bit, would this be an opportunity for Disney to buy up many of those? One of Walt's best known regrets was what Harbor and Katella Blvd's turned into with all of the businesses popping up that he couldn't control and hated the look of. It's one of the reasons they did Walt Disney World as they did. Would this, in the long term, be a potential opportunity for them to "Disneyfy" the area?

They could, potentially, buy up many of the properties at reduced prices with bankruptcy sales, take them over, then gradually start tearing down and rebuilding as resorts.

Viable? Possible? Or no? It's just thinking off of the top of my head and wondering if this may turn into long term changes for the area.
But personally, there's so much that I love the way it was, and hate that so much of that- and the people that worked there- is lost.

Darkbeer1

Disney has worked to build a partnership with all the Resort Businesses.

Disney buying something would be a last resort. Remember, anything they buy is not located in the DLSP, so the city has much more control over the properties.

So only if Disney can be seen as the White Knight, would Disney even think about it. So a third party would more than likely be the buyer.

But Wincome could be that buyer, or another local (kinda local ties) group with deep pockets.

Last edited:

fctiger

This is such an odd deja vu. I could've swore I read this weeks ago.

As far as your point, I don't really see it happening much. Unless there is something they have on the table they think buying the property will achieve. No idea what that could be since its clear they have no interest to build another hotel and the new east gate parking lot was DOA.

SirWillow

Original Poster
Disney has worked to build a partnership with all the Resort Businesses.

Disney buying something would be a last resort. Remember, anything they buy is not located in the DLSP, so the city has much more control over the properties.

So only if Disney can be seen as the White Knight, would Disney even think about it. So a third party would more than likely be the buyer.

But Wincome could be that buyer, or another local (kinda local ties) group with deep pockets.

thanks Darkbeer. I figured you'd have some good insight on if that was even possible. I'm wondering how many of those businesses though, in particular the hotels and restaurants attached to them, are shuttered for good at this point.

Hopefully when things have opportunities to start reopening a larger number will have managed to pull through than I'm thinking. Seems like it could be an opportunity for someone to jump in that might not otherwise have the chance. But man I hate the thought of all those that have been there for generations in some cases that won't be any more.

Places like Candy Cane Inn (one of my favorites) that has managed to hold out on that corner that you know Disney wants. Will they survive?

SirWillow

Original Poster

As far as your point, I don't really see it happening much. Unless there is something they have on the table they think buying the property will achieve. No idea what that could be since its clear they have no interest to build another hotel and the new east gate parking lot was DOA.
It's possible you did. If it was mentioned in a thread I could have easily missed it. I did do a quick search and saw some talk about how many businesses may not survive but didn't see any mentions of Disney maybe seeing it as an opportunity to buy properties to potentially develop.

LastoneOn

No interest in another hotel? They were working on new hotels, expansion. "off the table" or whatever phrase someone wants to use doesn't mean forever. Got to think years down the road.

According to the Governor the state's economy is top notch in the nation and will be growing in leaps and bounds, a veritable Great Leap Forward. So Disney not out of the hotel business yet!

Maybe though, they should look into laundries up in Napa Valley. Diversify their risk. There's a nice French one up there that is well connected and has a very loyal following. Good durable revenue.

fctiger

No interest in another hotel? They were working on new hotels, expansion. "off the table" or whatever phrase someone wants to use doesn't mean forever. Got to think years down the road.

According to the Governor the state's economy is top notch in the nation and will be growing in leaps and bounds, a veritable Great Leap Forward. So Disney not out of the hotel business yet!

Maybe though, they should look into laundries up in Napa Valley. Diversify their risk. There's a nice French one up there that is well connected and has a very loyal following. Good durable revenue.

I mean any time soon. They cancelled the hotel that was going to be on property (it looked like such an eye sore). They were also given the chance to put one up in GardenWalk and passed on that. And its not like they can't offer to buy out a hotel like they did for Paradise Pier hotel if they really wanted to.

And look around, new hotels pop up in that area every year. Several opened this year in the middle of the pandemic. If Disney really wanted to build a hotel in the area, well what stops them from doing it by now? Nothin, especially given all the hotels are there because of them in the first place. They just don't seem all that enthusiastic about making another one since they haven't built one in 20 years since GCH.

Now if this was WDW.....

Last edited:

LastoneOn

I mean any time soon. They cancelled the hotel that was going to be on property (it looked like such an eye sore). They were also given the chance to put one up in GardenWalk and passed on that. And its not like they can't offer to buy out a hotel like they did for Paradise Pier hotel if they really wanted to.

And look around, new hotels pop up in that area every year. Several opened this year in the middle of the pandemic. If Disney really wanted to build a hotel in the area, well what stops them from doing it by now? Nothin, especially given all the hotels are there because of them in the first place. They just don't seem all that enthusiastic about making another one since they haven't built one in 20 years since GCH.

Now if this was WDW.....
Yeah I got you
One would think that the burst of new rooms in the area would diminish their desire. Disney a bit player when it comes to room count.

TP2000

Not to mention Disney is trying to do as much as it can to pump as much business back into the Resort District.

They won't be reopening the Disneyland Hotel, or perhaps even the Paradise Pier Hotel, when the parks reopen. That helps move hotel capacity out into the Resort District. Disney loses some money, but helps stabilize a very shaky Anaheim business community.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom